SecurityUpd2004-01-26Pan-1.0

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Software Update Tool

Copyright 2002-2003 Apple Computer, Inc.

Software Update found the following new or updated software:

! SecurityUpd2004-01-26Pan-1.0

Security Update 2004-01-26, 1.0, 8000K [required] [restart]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Security Update 2004-01-26 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following components:

Apache 1.3

Classic

Mail

Safari

Windows File Sharing

Additionally, Security Update 2003-12-19 has been incorporated into this security update. Those components are:

AFP Server

ASN.1 Decoding for PKI

cd9660.util

Directory Services

fetchmail

fs_usage

rsync

System Initialization

• Reply 2 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

System Initialization

Slow boot fix?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Is it snappier??
  • Reply 4 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Does it add anything outside security? Like stability, fan noise fixing, boot time acceleration, and of course Snappiness??
  • Reply 5 of 35
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I'm downloading it right now, will report back when I restarted.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Downloaded and installed. No problems on a SP 1.8 G5. I was hoping (with no actual basis) that it would fixed the problem with certain https sites in Safari not displaying autofill info, but no dice.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    The cleaning up after the install took a while...

Anyways, if you're wondering what this update does to your boot time, let me tell you: It's back to normal! Like before 10.3.2. Wonderful.

• Reply 8 of 35
    Arg. On one hand I am happy that Apple releases security updates and what not because.. you know.. they are security updates. But I swear if one more security update or .x update or one more thing breaks my PHP and requires me to restart my computer I am going to be really really [insert dirty word of choice here]
  • Reply 9 of 35
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Arg. On one hand I am happy that Apple releases security updates and what not because.. you know.. they are security updates. But I swear if one more security update or .x update or one more thing breaks my PHP and requires me to restart my computer I am going to be really really [insert dirty word of choice here]

Same here. I'm not going to install it just yet because I can't afford to have php broken (again). I know it's an easy thing to fix but do they have to change the httpd.conf file EVERYtime?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Really I know its just a matter of renaming a file to fix it.. But it gets quite annoying after a while. Restarting is bad enough. I never restart this beast.

I usually don't even install security updates anymore. Or even .x upgrades until I figure its about time to do some catching up and then I`ll let it update
  • Reply 11 of 35
    The php is not broken for me. I just had to trash the load of index.html files that it installs taking precedent over the index.php. Though I expect if you changed the order in the config file, even that wouldn't be a problem. It appears to be using the previous httpd.conf file because my other changes are still in effect.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Really I know its just a matter of renaming a file to fix it.. But it gets quite annoying after a while. Restarting is bad enough. I never restart this beast.

I usually don't even install security updates anymore.

Cool... what's your IP again?

These updates are the only time I reboot, but I always make sure I install them soon after release. (Let others take the first bullet, but get in there quickly enough.)
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Meh, I am behind a router - and encrypt important files, I also back up my important stuff on CDs. Anyone who hacked into my computer would be very disappointed.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Downloaded and installed. No problems on a SP 1.8 G5. I was hoping (with no actual basis) that it would fixed the problem with certain https sites in Safari not displaying autofill info, but no dice.

You're destined to be disappointed my friend: the Safari engineers have deliberately decided to honour a site's request that autofill be disabled for that site: knowledgebase
  • Reply 15 of 35
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

You're destined to be disappointed my friend: the Safari engineers have deliberately decided to honour a site's request that autofill be disabled for that site: knowledgebase

Huh. I had no idea! Good to know: now I can stop hoping my AutoFill will come back with each update.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Bootcache is not fixed. Boot time is as slow as ever. I am going to do the manual fix now. I avoided it hoping the developers would get their act straight in the next patch.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Bootcache is not fixed. Boot time is as slow as ever. I am going to do the manual fix now. I avoided it hoping the developers would get their act straight in the next patch.

ya there is a nice terminal command line to type in--i just did it earlier tonight. startup takes like 5 seconds now. i'll post a link if anyone wants it.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

ya there is a nice terminal command line to type in--i just did it earlier tonight. startup takes like 5 seconds now. i'll post a link if anyone wants it.

oooh, oooh, gimme!
  • Reply 19 of 35
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    I installed the security update as suggested on my 12" PB. When I restarted, all my added programs had disappeared! The basic programs that come with the PB were there, but not any that I had added. I restarted the PB again, and, to my relief, all my programs were back. That kind of scare I don't need. Fortuinately all is now well. I haven't noticed any change in speed. I am using OS X 10.3.2.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So did they or did they not fix the slow boot problem? I never used anything before 10.3.2 and it already boots faster than any Jaguar build so I don't care that much, just curious.