Poll: Voting predictions Jan/Feb 2004

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

If it is any kinnd of strategy it is to make sure that Clark is not the candidate . . . .

Kerry has NO chance against Bush

Dean has NO chance against Bush

Edwards has NO chance against Bush

Lieberman has NO chance against Bush

Sharpton has NO chance against Bush

Only Clark would get the people who wouldn't automatically vote Democrat . . . only Clark has Republicans worried

I disagree completely. None of these candidates need the moderate Republican vote to win. Any of these candidates can win the support of the independent voters. No moderate Democrat would vote for Bush over any of these candidates.

From another angle, there are countless people who voted for Bush in 2000 who will not vote for him in 2004, no matter who the Democratic candidate is. They are fed up with the lies and the war, the horrible budget crisis and the stalled economy.

I estimate that there are very few people who voted against Bush in 2000 who would vote for him this time around.

I know AI is certainly not representative of the American voters, but out of curiosity, are any of you AI posters voting for Bush this time who didn't vote for him in 2000? I'd be surprised.

Likewise, how many of you here voted for Bush last time, and will vote against him in November?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I give no consideration to Clark or Dean. Edwards, I really have no idea because I honestly didn't think he had a chance until a week ago. Lieberman I like, but it's a shame he's clearly not an option to the religious (Christian) sector, and the very liberal Democrats who might vote for an alternative candidate on ideals alone.

I'm still rah-rah for Kerry as far as the Democratic nomination is concerned. We'll see from there...
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Thanks for your response. So... are you saying you'd vote for Bush over Clark or Dean, or would you vote for a third-party candidate?

I would vote for Bush over Clark or Dean. Clark *is* a Republican. He's only a Democrat because that's what the paperwork says so. Dean on the other hand would be a fiscal nightmare for America though of course I know you won't agree.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I would vote for Bush over Clark or Dean. Clark *is* a Republican. He's only a Democrat because that's what the paperwork says so. Dean on the other hand would be a fiscal nightmare for America though of course I know you won't agree.

not to play the typical role, but could you provide a hard-to-dispute piece of evidence showing dean as anything but the definition of fiscally responsible?

of course, we know how fiscally responsible our current president is...
  • Reply 4 of 47
    I will not support the Democratic nominee unless it's Dean. I don't think any Democrats other than Dean have a chance.

If Dean does not win the nomination, I'm voting Nader again.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

not to play the typical role, but could you provide a hard-to-dispute piece of evidence showing dean as anything but the definition of fiscally responsible?

of course, we know how fiscally responsible our current president is...

Quote:

My economic policies for America are based on four fundamentals:

Repeal the Bush tax cuts, and use those funds to pay for universal health care, homeland security, and investments in job creation that benefit all Americans.

Set the nation on the path to a balanced budget, recognizing that we cannot have social or economic justice without a sound fiscal foundation.

Create a fairer and simpler system of taxation.

Assure that Social Security and Medicare are adequately funded to meet the needs of the next generation of retirees.

#1 That is fiscally irresponsible. Where do the funds from repealed tax cuts go? To the government. Where do you rank the following in terms of efficient spending? Government agencies, corporations with exclusive government contracts, other private corporations, the tax-payer.

#2 is pure rhetoric. The fiscal foundation of this country isn't sound? Why, because there are poor people?

#3 "Rich people shouldn't make a dollar for every 2 dollars they make just because." Ideally, the IRS needs to go. A flat income tax is simple, is it not? Admittedly that leaves a hole to be filled...so I'll give you higher sales/service taxes, taxes on imports, VAT, etc. The rich buy more, they pay more taxes. The rich import more, they pay more taxes. Meanwhile, people are encouraged to buy domestic goods.

#4 Yes, we all love Ponzi schemes.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Eugene, what does Wesley Clark have to do to prove that he's a Democrat? Clark gets endorsed by one of the most liberal Democratic Presidential candidates of all time, George McGovern, and you're still not convinced that Clark is a Democrat? Why is he picking up these endorsements if he is a Republican? Have you taken the time to see what he has to say?

If you want to point to him voting for Nixon or Regan in the 70s and 80s, remember that he was under no obligation to say how he voted, no one would ever have known how he voted except for the fact that he told people. I think it shows that Clark is an honest and straightforward candidate with nothing to hide. If the worst thing people can say about Wesley Clark is that he voted for Republicans a few times or that he wouldn't bash Michael Moore for calling Bush a deserter, then that's saying a lot, because those are MINOR compared to the sins of the President and some of the other Democratic Presidential candidates.

I was proud to vote for General Clark today, and I can only hope that his third place finish in NH will make people give him a second look in the primaries to come.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Eugene is having a bad thread day.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

No... uh... mebbe it's because the national debt is unmanageable, and the deficit is out of control? We do not have unlimited credit, but GWB sure seems to think so.

Hate to break it to you but as long as Japan wants to keep its currency from strengthening to the point where they can no longer effectively export products to the US, Japan and Europe to some extent will continue to bankroll our deficit.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:

Dude! You support flat tax and think it's fair? You think VATs are fair because the rich spend more, therefore they get taxed more? Geezus you obviously don't know anything about economics.

What model do you suggest is fair? Even distribution of wealth among everyone? *snicker* Yes, I think something similar to the VAT and other service oriented taxes is fair. Yes, I think taxing imported goods to encourage buying domestic would force some balance into the trade deficit and keep money circulating here rather than elsewhere.

I'm not saying a flat tax is doable anytime soon either. We're obviously decades away from any sort of an answer to the current mangled system we have.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:

Some day, the cost of supporting the irresponsibility of US Republican Presidents will outweight the trade benefits.

Ah yes, whereas I said Dean is fiscally irresponsible, you're saying US Republican Presidents are fiscally irresponsible.

But I thought Dean claimed he was a fiscal conservative? That was my main point, eh? Why should I vote for him if he's saying he's something he's clearly not...or is he? In that case you should hate him because he'd just be allowing that Republican irresponsibility to persevere.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Eugene? Tap tap tap. Hello? Is this on?
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Eugene? Tap tap tap. Hello? Is this on?

Hello there.

Quote:

What I'm saying is that flat tax, and service-spending based taxes are unfair. The current system is more fair than that.

People earning less than $15K a year are generally in debt (therefore already paying a "tax" to their bank) and spend 100% of their post-tax income, saving nothing. Therefore, under your idea, they would be taxed for 100% of their post-tax income.[/b]

That assumes $15K is somewhat fair. That's minimum wage, a 10 hour work day, 300 days a year. That also assumes there cannot be a lower cut-off.

Quote:

And the poorer brackets are spending on things they NEED while the rich are spending on luxuries.

Great! So how do we fix this...? I'll let you come up with the solution.

Quote:

Then there's the fact that management salaries have increased exponentially in comparison with general salaries. It's no longer the case that if you work twice as hard and have twice as many people you're responsible for, you earn twice as much. That would theoretically be fair, but it's simply not the situation. The VP should not earn 50 times more than his secretary. He's not 50 times more important nor does he work 50 times as hard. That's just an excuse for the rich ("I've earned it!") Yeah, right.

So you're saying the solution to unfair wages/salaries is to tax that money away for no other reason than to level the playing field? That's a conflict of interests. That's like rubbing crap in a wound. It's not even a fix. If the VP has the ability to give himself a wage 50x higher than his secretary, he'll just increase his income to combat the tax...Great.

If people are going to be paying taxes, they should at least get something for it. Right, let's send the money directly to the bureaucracy. Better yet, let's put it into a pyramid scheme.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Supported Harry Browne in 2000, will support (L) candidate in 2004. (Probably Gary Nolan).
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

What model do you suggest is fair? Even distribution of wealth among everyone? *snicker* Yes, I think something similar to the VAT and other service oriented taxes is fair. Yes, I think taxing imported goods to encourage buying domestic would force some balance into the trade deficit and keep money circulating here rather than elsewhere.

I'm not saying a flat tax is doable anytime soon either. We're obviously decades away from any sort of an answer to the current mangled system we have.

Should *anyone* advocating this platform come along, they would receive my automatic support.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

If people are going to be paying taxes, they should at least get something for it.

Flipside: If we are to demand tax cuts, then we are demanding a cut in services, too. I don't understand how people can argue for tax cuts and yet want better education, health care, etc...
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Flipside: If we are to demand tax cuts, then we are demanding a cut in services, too. I don't understand how people can argue for tax cuts and yet want better education, health care, etc...

Efficiency?
  • Reply 17 of 47
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Efficiency?

Like the private healt care system?
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Like the private healt care system?

What about it?
  • Reply 19 of 47
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Efficiency?

Yes, cutting teacher salaries and having 35 kids in a class makes for a more efficient school.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Yes, cutting teacher salaries and having 35 kids in a class makes for a more efficient school.

Maybe you really believe your euphemism. You call them schools. But you know they're nothing more than glorified daycare centers. How many students in your first year University class?