Oscar Nominations

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I heard 21-grams was great film anyone seen it ?

I won't go see Mystic River because it's about a father dealing with the death of his daughter and the thought of that possibility makes me so scared and sad that I would freak out and lose it in the theatre . . .

but, I bet its a great film

LOTR will probably win when all it really is is a bold and very expensive well made epic/action flic . . . not great cinema

"not great cinema" --what am I saying . .. this is the Oscars, HAHAHA . . . Braveheart won that!!!!

Gladiator

Titanic

Crapspear in Love

all of them shiite
  • Reply 22 of 28
    but . . . Keisha Castle-Hughes got a nomination for whale rider!!!

she was awesome . . .
  • Reply 23 of 28
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    This is yet another attempt by the Academy to boost ratings by nominating so many mainstream movies. Master and Commander for best picture, are you ****ing kidding me? All the fears that by stopping dvd copies being sent to voters that it would drive the Oscars® mainstream were true. The awards are going to be a sad day for original and groundbreaking cinema.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

This is yet another attempt by the Academy to boost ratings by nominating so many mainstream movies. Master and Commander for best picture, are you ****ing kidding me? All the fears that by stopping dvd copies being sent to voters that it would drive the Oscars® mainstream were true. The awards are going to be a sad day for original and groundbreaking cinema.

What about Lost in Translation? The six nominations (including Best Director) for City of God? All the acting noms for 21 Grams? Patricia Clarkson's nomination for Pieces of April? Keisha Castle-Hughes deserved Best Actress nomination for Whale Rider? The surprising original screenplay nom for Dirty Pretty Things?

Even The Triplets of Belleville got nominated in two categories.

I think you're overreacting.

GTSC
  • Reply 25 of 28
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    My father see the movie master and commander : the special effects where amazing and he saw the most realistic tempest of the history of cinema. The battle where also scary. This movie deserve special effects.

Personally i have just seen some highlights, but it was really impressive. the tempest was real, something that you don't find in LOTR.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Lost in Translation Translates into an elitist-born-into-hipsterdom's portrait of jaded ennui . . . the kind of ennui that only the ultra priveleged can acquire from too many jet-set day-trips to Tokyo, or Milan or etc.

It panders to people who all think they are the smartest hipsters in the room, it makes them feel so above the frey by being able to be, not only bored while touristing in Tokyo, but bored while both participating in and yet being above uncommon cultural phenomena such as acting and modelling etc . .

in other words: we all wish that we could be positioned in such a way as to dislike being positioned that way!

and the movie panders to that desire.

and, on top of that, it is racist . .. except that it hides that with that knowing smirk that pretends to acknowledge not just the foibles of Japanese culture but of all of Humanity

It pretends to turn oh those whacky Japs! into oh the Humanity!

I hate its spoiled rich kid sensibility . . .

I could feel it when I taught at CMU from all the students who summered in whtever remote locations and I hate it in that film

Though what's-his-name was pretty great!