What if *this* is Apple's "revolutionary" new product?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    [quote] ...it's an iMac *and* a detachable portable touchscreen tablet, built in. That's right... the DVD or CD-RW drive and power connections are built into a basestation of sorts, with the "monitor" being the detachable tablet. The hard drive would be also built into the tablet, along with all the connections (USB, FireWire, etc.)

<hr></blockquote>

This is bogus.

1. Too expensive. The iMac is targeted at value driven consumers. This computer you describe would go for $2000+.

2. What's up with the arbitrary placement of drives? Optical drives on the basestation, but the HD on the display tablet? That would mean that the basestation would have to communicate with the tablet not only to send video output, but to both send and receive HD I/O thoroughput! Do you have ANY idea of the bandwidth this would need? If, and I mean IF, the technology were available to do this, it would be VERY expensive. And it would be damn slow.

Finally, what would the purpose of this detachable display? Ok, one carries it around their house. Then what? You just sit there in another room and LOOK at the display? Do you carry the mouse and keyboard with it, so you can actually USE it, or do you just look at the display and go, "Wow, neat-O, this is the coolest computer in my neighborhood!"

Please...if portability is important to you, if you must have a "tablet" to carry around the house, then buy either an iBook or a Titanium. They would both work better than this fictional iMac/tablet you describe, and you can buy them NOW.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    sirisiri Posts: 10member
    Sony got the device that work with a IP base and removable lcd screen that work with 802.11 upto 11 meg. It is about US$1500, but only available in Japan. I use that once in SMPE show with Cisco.

Re. HDTV Tx on wireless, it is posiible now with 802.11a as this take the Tx. 50 meg.

We have technology that take Mpeg via ASI to IP.

[quote]Originally posted by Alexander:

<strong>

I don't disagree with the conclusion, but the argument is fallacious -- HDTV is an MPEG-compressed datastream, usually between 15 and 20 Megabits/sec. The compression (which is significant) is performed by *extraordinarily* expensive dedicated equipment, and MPEG is intended more for video than graphics.

Regardless of the plausibility of sending screen data over Airport, I must admit that I'm drawn in by the idea of the tablet being essentially an iBook minus keyboard, trackpad, and CD-ROM drive, which are contained in/attached to a base. The only real problem with this is that it would cost a bit more than an iBook, and while I personally see the advantages of, and would buy, any Mac tablet thing, it isn't clear where this particular device would fit in the Apple lineup.

If they do figure out how to make a tablet a "remote screen" to any Airport-equipped Mac, however, this could cost less than an iBook, and I think it would be a good product. Unfortunately, I still don't see it in the crystal ball.

Alex</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Why don't all you Tablet nuts just go and buy a damn laptop? What would a tablet have that a laptop doesn't? Nothing. But a laptop has many things that a tablet would lack.

A tablet sounds like a giant pain in the ass to me. Play with it for half an hour, then go to a real computer to get something done, play a game, surf the net, whatever. Then go back and oogle at the tablet for a bit, show it off to neighbors, and then set it down and go back to a real computer. Repeat cycle for three weeks, then stash tablet in the closet for it's lifespan.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Why don't all you Tablet nuts just go and buy a damn laptop? What would a tablet have that a laptop doesn't? Nothing. But a laptop has many things that a tablet would lack.

A tablet sounds like a giant pain in the ass to me. Play with it for half an hour, then go to a real computer to get something done, play a game, surf the net, whatever. Then go back and oogle at the tablet for a bit, show it off to neighbors, and then set it down and go back to a real computer. Repeat cycle for three weeks, then stash tablet in the closet for it's lifespan.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Excuse me, Mr. Canine Inhabitant of Decomposing Refuse, where do you get off with your know-it-all attitude? You act if your opinion is the last word on everything. Who the hell do you think *you* are to tell other people what to think?

I simply suggested up a possible product that I thought would be truly "revoloutionary," or at least different than what most here would be expecting, in order to discuss the practical value of such a device. Personally, I think it would be of value, and after talking with several Mac user friends, including a few teachers, the feedback has been positive. Of course, whether it can or will be done is another question entirely. The discussion, from both sides, was quite thought-provoking until you posted your "comments," which essentially boil down to "if you don't agree with me, you're stupid."

Simply because it doesn't make sense to your addled "I want a consumer tower now and if I don't get one I'm going to hold my breath and stamp my feet" brain, doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense whatsoever. If you have something constructive to add to the conversation, then please do so. Otherwise, take your disdainful attitude elsewhere.

Sorry for the rant, everyone. It's just that I'm new here, and I'm already tired of the guy.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    This has been done to death.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    I have to go with JYD on this one. The tablet idea is kind of cool but, my excitement is luke warm ( just like the ipod ). Apple needs to concentrate now on the meat and potatos of the computer world. This is the kind of trendy thing ( I think I may have seen this on The Jetsons when I was a kid ) that they can release for the Sharper Image crowd when things are going well and the economy is bullish.