Viruses, you got 'em.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

You're wrong. Look it up.

Ditto the *correct* plural of forum is fora.

I did, why do you think I said that
  • Reply 42 of 111
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I did, why do you think I said that

Uh, then you're looking in the wrong place.
  • Reply 43 of 111
    ironic that you used viruses in the title.

it first piqued my interest when I typed virii and discovered OS X spellcheck labeled it as incorrect spelling, so I tried viruses, and it worked just fine, additionally I looked up the word virii on www.m-w.com and got a "were you looking for (list of words that had nothing to do with virus)" but when I typed in 'viruses' it brought me to the right definition.

curious actions for the wrong form of a word doncha think?

could be something you in the UK use perhaps?

a quick www.google.com search brings up this page

http://www.perl.com/language/misc/virus.html

hmm maybe YOU should look it up?
  • Reply 44 of 111
    Quote:

You're wrong. Look it up.

Good work, genius.

• Reply 45 of 111
    Quote:

Curiousburb, the risk is not "laughably low", it is "lower". Some of the stuff you wrote I just outright disagree with, and some of what you write is just plain wrong.

I'm sorry you disagree and it seems to colour your perceptions of risk.

Feel free to chime in where you think my summary was 'just plain wrong'

Quote:

But I'm not going to sit here and educate hackers.

Some of the old hacks for macs relied on things like the startup disk being called "Mac HD", but you'd always change you disk names, wouldn't you - every single one of you has done that, haven't you.

Is this a vulnerability of OS X? No.

We're not talking about old operating systems, we're comparing new to new.

Quote:

It's easy to sit there and write "stupid PC users do this...", but stupid Mac users do the same things. Did you ever download and install a file from the 'net?

Did you know the originator of each one of those files personally?

Do you know what some files are capable of, that seem innocuous?

yes, I've d/l'd files from the web.

no, I rarely personally know the originator.

yes, I understand that files may have capabilities beyond the innocuous

and it has never resulted in a virus, worm, trojan or other infection of my OS X machine.

the same confidence cannot be said to come from PC downloads.

Quote:

A secure system would check every time *you* took an action, and by *you* I mean the person logged in, not necessarily what your fingers are poking at. But that would get really boring really quickly.

OS X checks every time you take an action that impacts critical system files (installs, permissions, etc)

other normal actions carry so little risk that user d/l's do not threaten the security of the system

Quote:

So we open up the doors, and through the cracks come the crackers.

Play safe, wear a condom. :-) [/B]

Holy Hypochondriacs Batman...

Possible risk? Sure (as is the risk meteors might hit your chair).

Prevalent risk? No. (perhaps comparable to meteors hitting your chair)

Worth worrying about or maintaining a triage team? Not for OS X folk.

Scare tactics serve no purposes except FUD and crying wolf,

or to attempt to bump up sales of unnecessary antivirus tools for OS X

OS X is far more secure than any flavour of MS operating system.
  • Reply 46 of 111
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

There's no FUD in what I write

your entire thread premise if FUD. no one on these boards running OSX has a virus. There aren't ANY.

if it said "viruses, you MIGHT get them, SOMEDAY" then maybe.

as it stands, it was wrong from the outset, and pure FUD.
  • Reply 47 of 111
    Quote:

ironic that you used viruses in the title...

Both uses are correct, just because viruses shows up in you system dictionary doesn't mean that virii is wrong. Guess what, "Clive" isn't there either, "connexion" is, but does that look correct to you, or travelling, jewellery?

Are you ready to tell me that fora isn't a word?

Please, stop embarrassing yourselves and find some better resources.
  • Reply 48 of 111
    btw, www.dictionary.com has 0 entries for virii.

it has 5 for fora. i have no idea where you get the idea anyone is saying fora isn't a word. whatever.
  • Reply 49 of 111
    Quote:

Both uses are correct, just because viruses shows up in you system dictionary doesn't mean that virii is wrong. Guess what, "Clive" isn't there either, "connexion" is, but does that look correct to you, or travelling, jewellery?

Are you ready to tell me that fora isn't a word?

Please, stop embarrassing yourselves and find some better resources.

um...that's about as good as it's going to get.

stop embarrassing YOURSELF, and look at that link(for the 2nd time)

I don't hold it against you, A LOT of people think virii is the correct form, I know I used to, but I learned I was wrong, and now I don't, it's not too hard.

edit: I should note, I'm all for made-up words, I think it's good to take some liberties with language, but admit that you were mistaken, and let's move on.
  • Reply 50 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Is this a vulnerability of OS X? No.

We're not talking about old operating systems, we're comparing new to new.

No, what I'm trying to illustrate to you is that Mac users leave their defaults too. All of them.

Quote:

and it has never resulted in a virus, worm, trojan or other infection of my OS X machine.

the same confidence cannot be said to come from PC downloads.

So, your confidence is based upon the fact that you didn't get anything yet? What has that got to do with whether you are vulnerable to getting it or not?

Quote:

OS X checks every time you take an action that impacts critical system files (installs, permissions, etc)

other normal actions carry so little risk that user d/l's do not threaten the security of the system.

So, what you are saying is that DOS attacks cannot be launched from your machine, spam cannot be sent, unauthorised or unknown actions cannot take place without you going through an authorisation process with the system?

If that's what you think, then, you are wrong.
  • Reply 51 of 111
    First you're saying it can't be right because it's not in your Mac dictionary, so I point out a load of other words that aren't there either - but that doesn't seem to count towards showing that the Mac dictionary is not infallible.

Now you want to give a source and say "look you stupid Limey, are you speaking some other kind of language?"

Say, I get 187,000 hits on Google for "virii", nah, that can't be a real word.

Hey, look at that, MacOS dictionary says "cactii" isn't a word, but "cactuses" is!?
  • Reply 52 of 111
    Quote:

First you're saying it can't be right because it's not in your Mac dictionary, so I point out a load of other words that aren't there either - but that doesn't seem to count towards showing that the Mac dictionary is not infallible.

Now you want to give a source and say "look you stupid Limey, are you speaking some other kind of language?"

Say, I get 187,000 hits on Google for "virii", nah, that can't be a real word.

Hey, look at that, MacOS dictionary says "cactii" isn't a word, but "cactuses" is!?

DUDE! read the damn link, stop being a jerk admit you are wrong and move on with your life!

First, I tought "hey that's weird, I thought virii was the correct plural, I guess not, I'll have to look into this"

I have been patient, and understanding, I thought PERHAPS, there is a chance, I am not from england what do I know, it might be an overseas thing, there ARE a lot of words that are changed in usage and form.

that link will answer all your questions, ****, the FIRST thing they say is that the OED, which is THE definitive book for the english language(both american and british, if it's not in there it's not real) does NOT list virii as a plural of virus.

additionally, as I mentioned before, A LOT of people make the mistake,

it's okay to be wrong from time to time
  • Reply 53 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

your entire thread premise if FUD...

Hey, Mr Cleverarse, just read the opening post, huh?

The vulnerabilities are there, that the malware is not is just luck, so far.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    Quote:

it's okay to be wrong from time to time...

So just admit it.

I don't know why you want to turn a discussion about security into a spelling test.

Do the Google.
  • Reply 55 of 111
    Quote:

So just admit it.

I don't know why you want to turn a discussion about security into a spelling test.

Do the Google.

I did and THIS is what it gave me

out of curiosity, have you clicked on that link?
  • Reply 56 of 111
    Quote:

No, what I'm trying to illustrate to you is that Mac users leave their defaults too. All of them.

some of them, maybe.

Quote:

So, your confidence is based upon the fact that you didn't get anything yet? What has that got to do with whether you are vulnerable to getting it or not?

zero incidents of any kind under OS X for the past three years.

windows using friends over the same period average infections every three weeks.

"vulnerable to getting it" ?

What kind of bogeyman are you worried about?

Even the sketchy links I click on can do nothing to OS X with their puny .exe kung fu.

muahaha

Quote:

So, what you are saying is that DOS attacks cannot be launched from your machine, spam cannot be sent, unauthorised or unknown actions cannot take place without you going through an authorisation process with the system?

If that's what you think, then, you are wrong.

I'm saying that DOS attacks cannot be launched from my machine, spam cannot be sent, unauthorized or unknown actions cannot take place... PERIOD

Default security settings in OS X mean your proverbial condom is pre-installed.
  • Reply 57 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

GIVE US YOUR BEST SHOT.

Is that like the *stupidest* post ever?

What are you going to do, apologise to the whole Mac world if someone takes up the challenge?
  • Reply 58 of 111
    fine clive. answer this.

how many Mac viruses exist for OSX at this time: (a numeric answer will be fine)
  • Reply 59 of 111
    Quote:

some of them, maybe.

Ok, we sort of cross talk, some Mac users leave all of their defaults, ok?

Quote:

What kind of bogeyman are you worried about?

Even the sketchy links I click on can do nothing to OS X with their puny .exe kung fu.

muahaha

But those have been written for PCs, not targeted at Macs. Really, a knowledgeable Mac programmer of *lowly* skill could do it.

Quote:

I'm saying that DOS attacks cannot be launched from my machine, spam cannot be sent, unauthorized or unknown actions cannot take place...

PERIOD

Then, in all seriousness, you are wrong.

Even a simple JavaScript tagged in a web page can take part in a DOS attack, and you'd never know.

Quote:

Default security settings in OS X mean your proverbial condom is pre-installed.

And I'm pretty certain I just illustrated otherwise.
  • Reply 60 of 111
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

So just admit it.

I know you are but what am I.....?

It's viruses, man. Be done with it already.