I'm about ready to give in......

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok-

I want my G5 and I want it now. I cant help but hold myself back for just ANOTHER day hoping that they will announce new models.... how much longer should i wait before i forget all these bloody rumors and just buy a mac cuz apple is too busy sitting on its ass doing nothing at all....

how long should i hold off before i just buy... beginning of februray? middle? end? I'm buying a custom built machine so i cant get a refund if they swtich it up on me a day after i buy....

chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    do you need a machine?

if so what is a few (hundred) MHz gonna do for you?
  • Reply 2 of 32
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bedrock22

Ok-

I want my G5 and I want it now.

If you have the cash, use it. If you REALLY need the G5. If you can wait til Feb then wait. Go for the dual though - the single 1.6 is about as fast as a dual 1.25/1.42 G4. Mac OS X loves duals and vice versa. This is one OS that really does well with SMP.

Besides, no matter which way you go, buy it now or later, you will be getting one hell of a machine!
  • Reply 3 of 32
    wait until feb 5th before you do anything. i cant imagine apple waiting any longer than that. *sigh* i would still wait though, cause you'll be kicking yourself when the new ones are released if you do go ahead and buy one.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    I am waiting for the dual 3Ghz G5's Of course I dont have much of a chance at getting a new computer any time soon...
  • Reply 5 of 32
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    If you NEED a machine now then buy it... If you're the type of person who's gonna be upset when a new machine comes out... then no matter when you buy it there's a good chance you're gonna be mad... If you wanna be LEAST upset then you should wait... and then THE VERY DAY a new machine is announced is the day you should buy it.

Revs on the PowerMac line have averaged 171 days between releases (AVERAGED) ... The current line was born 72 days ago (if you consider the removal of the single 1.8 and addition of the dual 1.8 ) or '1?? days' if you don't...

No matter what the averages say... The smart money is saying that we'll see an update 'soon' (where soon could be next week or sometime in Feb/Mar or maybe even April)..

All that being said... If it were me... I'd wait... 8)

Who knows... Apple might add something 'new' (who knows what) and you'd kick yourself for not waiting. Like me... I purchased the 1st version of the G4 when it came out I (on the very day it came out) and then 6 months later (or so) the '2nd Gen' G4's came out with ADC and now I've had to live 'forever' knowing I'd never be able to use an Apple made monitor without having to by that silly ADC power adapter brick. BLECH!

Never again I swore... I'd never again buy into the 1st gen of any hardware.

Just my .02 cents

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Alternatively you can look at the short lived B&W G3 to find great evidence that the first generation is probably better than the later generations (or perhaps just the second generation).
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Thanks for the replies....

i dont REALLY need the new machine.... im still chuggin on my G4 466, which (no suprise, being an Apple product ) still manages to run many of my apps quite nicely.

I finally got the cash i needed to invest in a new G5, so im very excited. I go to art school, so the new G5 will work wonders on my photoshop and alias Maya.

I was originally going to go for the dual 1.8, but now im considering a dual 2.0, which is probobly what I'll go for. Even after new releases from apple, a dual 2.0 would be FINE for me... I just want to use the money I'd save when the price on the Dual 2 goes down to invest in some Ram or something... see what I'm say?

besides I'm really impatient, and I want my new Mac! They're SOOO sexy!!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 32
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Here is another thought, get the most that you can afford. If you can afford top of the line, get it! You will be able to use it for years to come
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Here is another thought, get the most that you can afford. If you can afford top of the line, get it! You will be able to use it for years to come

True. More often than not, it is best to base the decision in reality and hard dollars and cents. Figure what you want to do, how you will accomplish that (what software, etc) and cram as much horsepower in as you can afford.

Whether that be a dual 1.8 with more RAM or Maya (if you don't already own it) or the dual 2.0 (2.2, 2.4, 2.6 whatever is to come) with maybe a bit less memory and software, the decision should be based on NEED not want. We always seem to want more than we can have/afford.

People waiting for G5s for years know this all too well. Any yet, you still see some of them angry that Apple isn't releasing updated G5s. Jeesh!
  • Reply 10 of 32
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member

I'm sooooooo tired of seeing this. Urge to upgrade G4/533 powerful, very powerful....
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

[img]I'm sooooooo tired of seeing this. Urge to upgrade G4/533 powerful, very powerful....

Wow, considering they list the minimal specs as a G3/600 that surprises me. I suppose the real-time thing does it in. I am waiting my up-to-date iLife to come, so I have no real experience with it yet.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I am looking forward to GarageBand so that I can make some nice tracks for the games I have designed... I can keep looking forward until my dual 3Ghz G5 comes out!
  • Reply 13 of 32
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Please buy your machine. Apple is waiting until you do to release the upgraded G5s. Time to take one for the team!
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Wow, considering they list the minimal specs as a G3/600 that surprises me. I suppose the real-time thing does it in. I am waiting my up-to-date iLife to come, so I have no real experience with it yet.

yup. And to make matters worse, here are my specs: G4/533, 896 RAM, fast drives with 8mb cache.

That song has one drum loop, one small organ loop, one live acoustic, one live bass, three live electrics (two short), and one vocal.

I fear I'm going to have to start bouncing tracks like in the old days... Export mixdown to aiff, import single aiff to GB, record new track, delete mixdown track and export new track, import new track into original mix, ad infinitum
  • Reply 15 of 32
    or you could consider wasted time as costing money and figure that buying a cray would solve all your problems and give the nice added advantage of having a really large door stop when it dies.

er. um. forget that. buy a new mac man.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    I hear GB has been stuttering a lot even on the dual g5s!

there's got to be some bad code in there, something slowing it down, something that could be written more efficiently. I really think that GB will see some *massive* performance increases in the first few updates.

My brother has no problems running 10+ live audio tracks in logic on his DP 1.0 ghz quicksilver with 1 GB RAM, why should he have problems when running 5+ live audio tracks in GB!

(I also can't have more than 5-6 live audio tracks without it sapping all my system, 1.25 ghz powerbook 15")
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

yup. And to make matters worse, here are my specs: G4/533, 896 RAM, fast drives with 8mb cache.

That song has one drum loop, one small organ loop, one live acoustic, one live bass, three live electrics (two short), and one vocal.

I fear I'm going to have to start bouncing tracks like in the old days... Export mixdown to aiff, import single aiff to GB, record new track, delete mixdown track and export new track, import new track into original mix, ad infinitum

that's a good solution for now, and hey, you could always go back to them later if GB gets updated with better performance, and/or you get a new computer.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

If you change the performance setting in the preferences to that of the G3, this problem goes away.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Plague Bearer

If you change the performance setting in the preferences to that of the G3, this problem goes away.

Not for me.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    If you can wait, wait. I lost my patience and bought the 1.8GHz machine, and it was replaced by the dual version shortly thereafter.

You'll soon regret not waiting.

As for someones suggestion that you should always buy the top-end machines - I disagree. I would suggest that you always buy the entry level machine. Top end kit depreciates (in value) the fastest - and because the initial outlay is far higher, so is the amount of cash that you lose.

Top-end kit has a habit of becoming bottom-end kit in a revisions time.

Wait until they announce the new machines, and then decide if they offer better value for money than the current machines (which will be heavily discounted).

That reminds me I need to update my sig.