Bush...WHY?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<--Link

Sadly I believe Castro at this point more then Bush. WHY Bush? What has cuba done lately? China is communist and we don't hate them completely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I don't like Bush, but would have to ask, "Why would America bother?"

Surely fighting in two countries already is enough. Castro is probably feeling he is out of the lime light on an international stage and is showing his importance to his people. Get up and accuse the infidels of trying to kill him.

Now North Korea I could understand.....though not condone.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    why bother?? it would win him florida for sure if he put a bullet in castro's aging melon

g
  • Reply 3 of 33
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Why would America bother?"

American wouldn't, but Bush might because he is a crazy war monger Maybe not crazy as much as gullible and Chenny likes war.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

originally posted by jwri004

Now North Korea I could understand.....though not condone.

Not condone?! Do you know anything of the N. Korean regime? Assasination, kidnapping, the most repressive regime in the world. The political system in N. Korea is not a authoritarian communist dictatorship, it's a cult. I pray that either the US does something or the regime finally falls. I firmly believe the only reason the US doesn't step in is that the flood of refugees would be so huge that it would be too unbearable of a strain on the S. Korean market. One of the strongest economies in the region.

As for Cuba, as long as Castro is alive I seriously doubt that we will ever have normal relations with Cuba. Sad. I'll applaud any US president that takes the initiative to extend the olive branch to Cuba.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    i think the embargo is a silly waste of time.

all it does is provide castro a built in excuse.

having said all that, castro been acting pretty evil lately, jailing journalists and anyone else he sees fit.

¡cuba si! ¡castro no!
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Sorry, I must have been asleep when they gave the President of the United Stated power to kill anybody he didn't like.

What N Korea does in THEIR country is THEIR business. Oppressive? Yes. America's business? No.

When they start playing rough and threatening other nations, then GWB can spout on about WMD, and you can invade them, that is if your populace can stomach fighting in three countries, and losing in all three.

No doubt you have other views
  • Reply 7 of 33
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    So it's okay as long as they don't go outside their own borders. So Hitler would have been untouchable had he confined the death camps to german jews?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Why not invade/liberate China as well? I hear they have appalling human rights issues.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Not condone?! Do you know anything of the N. Korean regime? Assasination, kidnapping, the most repressive regime in the world. The political system in N. Korea is not a authoritarian communist dictatorship, it's a cult. I pray that either the US does something or the regime finally falls. I firmly believe the only reason the US doesn't step in is that the flood of refugees would be so huge that it would be too unbearable of a strain on the S. Korean market.

ANd the fact that unless NK was taken out in one huge A-bomb raid SK would risk an attack that would take millions out. And erading NK from the map would go against the humanitarian argument.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Why? Well, if the story has any merit, the answer to why is easy:

Because in order to get re-elected, George needs to convince the many voting sheep in this country that he "is winning the war or terror, by keeping America safe... and removing not one but two evil dictators from power. No longer will 'comminism' threaten our great land."

God knows he's done little else since 9/11. It's humorous to me that Scott is not debating the merits of the article but trying to raionalize why it might be OK, if it happpens.

• Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

It's humorous to me that Scott is not debating the merits of the article but trying to raionalize why it might be OK, if it happpens.

When did I "rationalize" anything in this thread? Please quote me and give your details. Otherwise retract your statement and be more careful in the future.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    hey, when saddam was illegally gassing iranians in the 80's did we take him out? nah, we sent rumsfeld to shake his hand....perhaps we should send rummy down to cuban to shake castro's hand....i wonder how well that would go over....

killing iranians and kurd in 1983 w/ US approval?

g
  • Reply 13 of 33
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    The Cuba thing is quite tricky. The benefits of taking out Castro? Huge. The Cubans carry a lot of weight in congress/politically. However Castro is nowhere near the murderer other tyrants in other parts of the world are.

The benefits of taking out Castro in an election year? HUGE. Remember Florida?

I don't know if the bush admin. really wants to take him out per se. But judging from our past record in Central and South America + the far right warmongers in the admin., I wouldn't be surprised.

About North Korea. I read about NK's millitary capabilities somewhere not too long ago and well....they're VERY impressive. NK has one of the largest armies in the world(3rd or 4th largest). They are extremely well equipped too. This is not the your Iraqi army (or what was left of it after it was destroyed almost entirely years ago). They have great artillery based in very sophisticated underground complexes from which they can attack with minimal preparations and warning.

They have submarines, thousands of planes and tanks. Plus they have a huge trump card: South Korea to the south. If the US were to attempt an invasion, potentially millions of South Koreans would die.

Using nuclear weapons would also kill hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of innocent people. Not to mention the fact that if they thought they were about to be nuked they could wipe out 35,000 american soldiers and hundreds of thousands or even millions of South Koreans

or even Japanese if their missiles can travel that far.

Besides it's not like they're "swimming on a sea of oil" to use a phrase made famous by Wolfowitz.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

<--Link

Sadly I believe Castro at this point more then Bush. WHY Bush? What has cuba done lately? China is communist and we don't hate them completely.

I will gladly buy you a one-way to Cuber if you wanna go...
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

American wouldn't, but Bush might because he is a crazy war monger Maybe not crazy as much as gullible and Chenny likes war.

It's C-H-E-N-E-Y.

He is the Vice President of the United States. 8)
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

<--Link

Sadly I believe Castro at this point more then Bush...

I'm sorry but if you take this seriously you need to have your head examined. We're NOT going to invade Cuba. Let me repeat this: we're NOT going to invade Cuba.
    Quote:

WHY Bush?

Why are you asking him? HE wasn't the one talking about invading Cuba. It was Castro who made this idiot claim.

edit: grammar
  • Reply 17 of 33
    You think that's bad? Chiraq sold him a nuke plant that the jews had to bomb before Saddam built a bomb.

• Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Caption: So, you're telling me that I just paid for a $50 million dollar bunker and the roof leaks?
  • Reply 19 of 33
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Great post tonton! It is such a shame what you post is the case. The world needs integrity.

Fellows
  • Reply 20 of 33
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

As an active member (I attend most meetings) of both Amnesty International HK and Hong Kong Human Rights Monitor, I do wish more people would pay attention to violations in China.

Isn't that becoming more dangerous these days? I hear HK is unfortunately not the place it used to be.

China is the new emerging superpower and the belief is that a lot of the world's growth will be attributable to what happens in China. Bush will not try and damage that, but instead try and harness it for his own personal and political benefit.