Laptop-Tablet Hybrid

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Good industrial design cannot serve two masters. The best laptop will always be a laptop, and the best tablet will always be a tablet.

pffft.

Do you know what's wrong with saying that? Nothing. if your not an inventive person. The only time I use the word always in usually in the sentence: There is always a way. I was surprised not to find a can't or two in that sentence.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I presume you're offering your services to the design task then?

We await your results.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr.Bimane

Hmm.....I know....I know...the Newton.....I have heard so much about the Newton but never actually used one or seen anyone use one. I guess it kicked serious ass but Jobs never liked it.

It is so funny because my friend who bought the Gateway hybrid was telling me that he thinks if Apple ever comes out with a tablet they would say, "the first ever USEABLE tablet".......or some such Apple-like qualifier.......

Perhaps we will see "the first insanely-great tablet".....

-Dr. Bimane

Dr. Bimane...

I suspect (if he were on the ball) that he was refering to the eMate, not the newton. It ran NewtonOS but was a clamshell laptop/tablet hybrid. Not unlike the iBook in appearance, but with a monochrome display and made of green plastic.

Also, Tablet computers have little to no use for artists/graphic designers as the tablet/stylus technology used therein does not support pressure/tilt sensitivity.

Ask yourself... would your friend not be happier with a full featured notebook and say a 4x6 remote wifi tablet/display? I suspect once Wacom's Cinteq technology is more accessible, from a cost standpoint, and with bluetooth connectivity, it will be a more popular option.

(ie Bluetooth remote display/tablet. Display spanning is much easier to implement, from a tech standpoint as the tablet needs little/no intelligence, unlike the lackluster and slow SmartDisplays from MicroSloth.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    I have a Ti400 - yes Im going to get a G5 Powerbook - real soon!

Seriously, I would find the feature of swivelling my 15" screen with a pen using something like inkwell VERY useful, when your not at a desk, taking notes and working with spreadsheets, and databases can be more comfortable than typing.

In the main, a keyboard is the preferred method, so this feature would have to be included in the price and not add cost.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Right. So we just need to figure out how to add a touch-sensitive layer to the screen, and design an industrially strong and yet attractive hinging mechanism that add *zero cost* to the laptop!

By george, I think he's got it!

• Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

Also, Tablet computers have little to no use for artists/graphic designers as the tablet/stylus technology used therein does not support pressure/tilt sensitivity.

Actually, most tablet PC's support 256 pressure levels, just like a Wacom Graphire. Also, there is the added bonus of not having a mass of cables coming out the back like the Cintiq. As an artist, I'm very interested in tablet PC's. It's too bad Apple is avoiding this market. I'm sure they could put together a superior product if they wanted to. Right now the Toshiba Portege M200 looks very tempting.