[ANN] -- Ambrosia releases Snapz Pro X 2.0.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

I upgraded yesterday, for a whole twenty bucks. I call that very little money, very well spent. Thanks Moki.

Cool, I'm glad you like it. We spent a lot of time optimizing the engine.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

Cool, I'm glad you like it. We spent a lot of time optimizing the engine.

Well perhaps if you did it right the first time! God $20 because you didn't do a good job before, figures! Oh yeah just kidding

I know everyone loves it, so...I'll check it out before my next post
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Well perhaps if you did it right the first time! God $20 because you didn't do a good job before, figures!

I know! It's like... why can't Apple optimize OS X the first time around? I swear... three major updates to Mac OS X and they still haven't finished optimizing it?

OMG!

• Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I know! It's like... why can't Apple optimize OS X the first time around? I swear... three major updates to Mac OS X and they still haven't finished optimizing it?

OMG!

heh -- actually, a lot of what we are doing in Snapz Pro X 2.0 wasn't possible prior to MacOS X 10.2 (which is why it requires 10.2 or later).

Snapz Pro X was first released in the days of MacOS X 10.0
  • Reply 25 of 55
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

heh -- actually, a lot of what we are doing in Snapz Pro X 2.0 wasn't possible prior to MacOS X 10.2 (which is why it requires 10.2 or later).

Are you suggesting that Snapz Pro X 2.0 uses Quartz Extreme? By the way, how it would perform on a 12" Powerbook (first generation)?
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Are you suggesting that Snapz Pro X 2.0 uses Quartz Extreme? By the way, how it would perform on a 12" Powerbook (first generation)?

In a fashion, yes, it does use QE. As for your 12" PowerBook, it should perform fine, but I'd suggest having the monitor set to "Millions" -- some portable video cards do not have drivers optimized for Thousands.

But the best way to find out how it performs is to download it and try it out. You can fully use it to see if it meets your needs.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Thanks moki!
  • Reply 28 of 55
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

It works smooth as silk on my powerbook (rev. a 12", 640 megs of ram). While recording, I can barely tell anything at all is going on. Rendering/saving it takes some time but I suspect that's true of almost any machine.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

It works smooth as silk on my powerbook (rev. a 12", 640 megs of ram). While recording, I can barely tell anything at all is going on. Rendering/saving it takes some time but I suspect that's true of almost any machine.

Excellent! Post some videos if you can, I'd love to see 'em.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Movies, that's so worth it. It'll let us record wmp and real in to other formats for one, right. moki you have the coolest company. Rock on. I'll definitely get this just to grab streams, providing there's edu pricing.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:

Excellent! Post some videos if you can, I'd love to see 'em.

FIrst movie. Lots of stuff going on in the background while doing this one. I'm running with dual monitors and my palm hotsyncing in the background.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Another. Again, a lot going on in this one. Certainly not full speed but impressive on this machine.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Torifile, are you running Panther, right? I am asking since in my case ( under 10.2.8 ) the experience is not as smooth as in your case. I see major slowdowns when I try to record the whole desktop (millions of colors). It is much smoother though when I try on a smaller part of the screen.

The other major downside is when I am trying to record the audio output too. For example, I tried to record a small iTunes window playing some music (mp3); more than horrible, the sound skipped so much that, at moments, I was unable to tell if there is something playing or not. It was better with midi files, but nowhere near what one would expect, especially when recording so small parts of the screen.

My third problem: it can crash hard the window server when trying to record while some application takes the screen (game, iTunes visuals). Even escapepod was unable to get me out. Strangely enough, while at completely dark screen, I pressed once the power button and then return. After a few seconds the Powerbook shutted down. It is obvious what happened.

I am wondering if all these problems are due to some bad interaction between Snapz and 10.2.8 or if it could be something else.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

They don't. They used to, but it's the honor system right now...at least until people start taking advantage of the system.

Ooooohhhhh reallly?! I didn't know thaaat. Is this the Apple Store Online or most sites that sell things with ed discounts? Do tell.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

That's good to hear. I used the last version at work to try and record a video game at 320 x what ever it was.... small. And it was choppy and crashed a lot. I might have to look into this version for myself.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Torifile, are you running Panther, right? I am asking since in my case ( under 10.2.8 ) the experience is not as smooth as in your case. I see major slowdowns when I try to record the whole desktop (millions of colors). It is much smoother though when I try on a smaller part of the screen.

The other major downside is when I am trying to record the audio output too. For example, I tried to record a small iTunes window playing some music (mp3); more than horrible, the sound skipped so much that, at moments, I was unable to tell if there is something playing or not. It was better with midi files, but nowhere near what one would expect, especially when recording so small parts of the screen.

My third problem: it can crash hard the window server when trying to record while some application takes the screen (game, iTunes visuals). Even escapepod was unable to get me out. Strangely enough, while at completely dark screen, I pressed once the power button and then return. After a few seconds the Powerbook shutted down. It is obvious what happened.

I am wondering if all these problems are due to some bad interaction between Snapz and 10.2.8 or if it could be something else.

I think something is wrong -- because none of what you've described should occur. I've recorded many flawlessly smooth movies under 10.2.8 -- what are the details of your system?
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

That's good to hear. I used the last version at work to try and record a video game at 320 x what ever it was.... small. And it was choppy and crashed a lot. I might have to look into this version for myself.

Choppy, I'd believe, but crashed a lot? No, that does not sound right at all.

Regardless, do give the new version a try. It's literally 20x faster at capturing video.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:

I think something is wrong -- because none of what you've described should occur. I've recorded many flawlessly smooth movies under 10.2.8 -- what are the details of your system?

It has a G4 @ 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM and 60 GB hard drive. There are not system hacks installed. But I suspected 10.2.8, since it gave problems to many first generation 12" Powerbook users (audio skip under some not so heavy load, iTunes unable to push in visual effects more than 30 fps, whatever the options of the visualiser under OpenGL, power manager corruption resulting in wrong CPU frequency report, and perhaps others too that I don't remember now).
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Yeah, I'm running panther. Sound is problematic. Last night when I was recording my videos, sound stuttered even if I wasn't recording the audio track.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Yeah, I'm running panther. Sound is problematic. Last night when I was recording my videos, sound stuttered even if I wasn't recording the audio track.

That only reports of this we've heard is on a PowerBook -- but it also works fine for most people on PowerBooks. Very confusing...