What yummy dish or two do you like to prepare when you have the time?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I make this sinfully delicious cheesecake. It's rich, creamy, with tons of cream cheese (NO flour whatsoever - in the filling!), and sour cream on top. Secret family recipe. heh. Also, I make a luscious chocolate mousse that's to die for. None of that light, fluffy, air-whipped stuff.

Another dish: I'm not especially crazy about spaghetti and meatballs. I would never order it at a restaurant, for example.

But at home, I make these meatballs that are intensely addictive. It must be the garlic. I honestly am coming to the conclusion that garlic is highly addictive.

These meatballs have TONS of garlic, NOT too finely minced, but a little chunky, so you can bite into the pieces. They also have lots of grated, fresh Romano cheese, lots of fresh parsley, and other meatball ingredients. Oh yum, yum, yum.

One piece of cooking equipment I haven't used in ages is an oriental clay cooker. I have a large one, and would like to roast a chicken in it, with rice; but never seem to have time lately for trying out new dishes. (The clay cooker is soaked in water before cooking, so the absorbed water imparts moisture to the dish.)

I buy lots of clay cooker cookbooks, crock pot books, home-made soup books, vegetarian books (not that I'm a vegetarian!). I think cooking is so fun. Just wish I had more time for it.

Anybody have some favorite dishes you love to cook? I think guys who like to cook are SO cool.

Carol

Edited here and there, 12 hrs. after posting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    You can take your chocolate mousse and stuff it. Mine cannot be beaten. Actually everything in desserts I am da master.

And I have refined Hassans Peanut butter soup to a point where girls want to have sex with me just to taste it
  • Reply 2 of 77
    I too like to make meatballs, the kind that simmer in sauce all day long.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    I'm not much of a cook, but I do know how to make a couple things, breakfast is my meal and in that respect I like to make

Poached eggs served with avocado, cheese and tomato

Bacon and sausage(I actually prefer morningstar, but I'm not a vegetarian)

Bowl of cereal(something light like cheerios)

Waffles or pancakes from scratch, often adding chocolate chips or blueberries, served with Maple syrup, powdered sugar, and feta cheese.

That's my breakfast, if I have the time and ingredients to make it all.

but I haven't lately \
  • Reply 4 of 77
    It sounds like we should come over to your place for dinner some time Carol. I like cooking vegetarian dinners sometimes too, it forces you to try to fid something that's not as predictable as what you have every other night. I was a vegetarian for a while, I just dropped out of it a few months ago, but I still like pan frying tofu with soy sauce and mixing it in with some pasta and vegetables. It's still one of my favorite things to eat when I find the time to cook something for real.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    2 smoked sausages

One onion

Two stalks celery

One can red beans

One can ro-tel

Italian seasoning

Mix all and place in crock pot on low. Cook overnight.

Or.

One roast.

Roast fixins (carrots, potatoes, onions)

One packet cream of onion soup

MIx all in crock pot (roast on top). Cook on low, overnight.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

I too like to make meatballs, the kind that simmer in sauce all day long.

Well, my meatballs are cooked in olive oil until they are slightly crusty. The crustiness is just wonderful, and a main feature (imo) of these meatballs. On the plate, I keep them to the side of the spaghetti and sauce, so every bite of the dish has some crusty meatball in it. Mmmmm...so good.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup

Ingredients:

Sandwich (per sandwich)

2 slices of wheat bread

2 slices of Kraft singles

butter (optional)

Put in toaster oven until bread is darkened and crispy.

Tomato Soup

1 can of Campbell's Tomato Soup

Follow directions on the can.

Add black pepper or other ingredients as desired.

Preparation:

Put bowl of soup and sandwich(es) on plate with 1 or more dill pickles.

To eat:

Dip sandwich in soup. Eat sandwich and spoon soup separately as desired. Eat pickles as desired.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Sounds good...

I use half veal/half beef, add bread crumbs, garlic, basil, egg, milk and cheese. Dust in flour and brown in olive oil. Simmer all day in tomato sauce.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    Ganondorf, my man. You're my kind of cook, except I prefer to use Italian Sourdough bread, it's all I buy anymore, and the occasional loaf of Potato Bread. I think I'm about to go make that right now actually.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup

Love this!

But you wanna make the best grilled cheese in the world? Choose your bread, choose your cheese. Melt a little butter in the microwave, and use a pasty brush to brush it on the bread, then toss it in a skillet over low-medium heat. It browns *perfectly*, you use almost no butter, and the crunch has the best texture.

Also, toss a little bit of the same cheese you made the sandwich from through the shredder, and place it in the bottom of your soup bowl before you ladle it in. It ties the two items together, and adds a bit of texture to the soup as well. Oh, and toss in some fresh basil to the tomato soup if you have it.

I like gruyere on half-wheat/half-rye myself.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    NO NO NO.

You must use WHITE BREAD. And Kraft singles.

You heat up the skillet. Hot. HOT. You pre-position the cheese between two slices of bread. You cut off a pat of butter and throw it in the skillet. THEN, just when it's nearly melted, you throw the prospective grilled cheese in there and USE IT TO SOP UP THE BUTTER. Spin it around.

You also have to mash it down until it's about 1/4" thick.

Repeat for side 2.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    That is just too much effort for me.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Since Valentine's Day is just around the corner, if anyone is cooking for their significant other, Intercourses: An Aphrodisiac Cookbook is pretty good.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Rice in chicken broth with parmisan cheese sprinkled on it.

I have simple tastes.

aqua
  • Reply 15 of 77
    I knocked-up a nice meal today. It turned out as a stir-fry-type thing with rice, but I didn't really know what it was gonna be before I started cooking...

I didn't have any onion. That woulda been nice... thickly chopped to add some tang and only lightly cooked to keep the crunch. Nevermind, I'm gonna cook this again... if I can remember the ingredients.

Ingredients

-Diced turkey pieces (on special offer at Sainsbury's, I'm a student y'know)

-Mixed Salad?iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, carrot (left over from a few days ago)

-1 Green Chilli (wrinkly and old but still tasty and (kinda) hot)

-Sunflower Oil (Olive oil might have been nicer, but its expensive)

-Soy Sauce (magic last ingredient I borrowed off a Gentle German Giant called Hauke who lives in Rm 119)

Instructions

-Fry the turkey pieces in the sunflower oil until sealed.

-Add a few dashes of Soy Sauce (not too much that it becomes overpowering), continue frying so that the meat absorbs the flavour.

-Add chopped Chilli (I probably woulda put onions in now aswell now) and continue frying until the meat is lightly browned (mmm...)

-Add salad and a trickle of oil to give everything a golden coating.

-Continue frying depending on how cooked you want your salad to be.

Serve with rice (or noodles).

... mmm

Oh... and for seasoning

-Ground black pepper, powdered cayenne pepper, ground basil
  • Reply 16 of 77
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh what the heck.

A couple of weeks ago I made beef stew.

1.5 lbs of organically raised angus stew cuts

2 large russett potatoes

2 large carrots

2 large onions

4 stalks celery

2 medium turnips

12 cloves garlic

1tsp each: marjoram, sage, thyme, basil

4 cups organic chicken broth

2 bottles of Yuengling Black & Tan

2 cans V-8

1/4 cup barley

Braised the beef in a dusting of flour and salt, then deglazed the pan with one bottle of B&T. Tossed it all together, and let it simmer for a couple of hours. Used too much barley, but other than that it was absolutely perfect.

Not bad for throwing crap together.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Kraft Dinner.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

NO NO NO.

You must use WHITE BREAD. And Kraft singles.

You heat up the skillet. Hot. HOT. You pre-position the cheese between two slices of bread. You cut off a pat of butter and throw it in the skillet. THEN, just when it's nearly melted, you throw the prospective grilled cheese in there and USE IT TO SOP UP THE BUTTER. Spin it around.

You also have to mash it down until it's about 1/4" thick.

Repeat for side 2.

POTATO OR ITALIAN SOURDOUGH and VELVEETA SINGLES (but those are made by Kraft, so I'll let it slide, this one time). The rest however, is perfectly correct.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I really, really need to learn to cook.

I eat out or order in all the time.

I only keep the extreme basics at home for eating - cereal, sandwich or burrito fixins and a bit of fruit/veggies from the Farmers Market down the street every Tuesday.

It'd be a lot healthier, I'm sure, if I made my own meals, not to mention how much money I'd save.

I love the Food Network - they make it look so easy to whip together a meal.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

You can take your chocolate mousse and stuff it. Mine cannot be beaten. Actually everything in desserts I am da master.

And I have refined Hassans Peanut butter soup to a point where girls want to have sex with me just to taste it

Hi Anders - Well, I'm totally impressed! You sound like a creative and adventurous cook. I'll have to try what you described one of these days. Sounds SO delicious.

My chocolate mousse is simple but luscious...essentially chocolate, sugar, unsalted butter and eggs. Haven't made it in ages, though, because it's pretty addictive too! I think there's some vanilla in it, but can't remember for sure.

I also make cinnamon rolls (from scratch) with lots of white sugar frosting. Mmmmm.

I bought some large, ripe peaches at a farmer's market one time. They were so perfectly ripe, that by the time I got them home (six, I think), their skins had opened here and there by virtue of simply touching each other in the paper bag. So I made a fresh peach pie, with a lattice-top crust, where you inter-weave strips of crust on top of the pie. Turned out unbelievably delicious. OMG. But it was best when warm.

Edit: oops - that was 'unsalted' butter (sweet butter), NOT unsweetened butter!