Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Which browser do you favor?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    sorry, mod, please lock or move to software, sorry
  • Reply 2 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You might change the style of the poll, too. Was it your intent to give people the ability to select multiple browsers?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Where is Camino?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Where is Camino?

i agree. isn't it the 2nd most popular mac web browser?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    OW all the way baby. I am very impressed at the direction that OW 5 is headed.

I dunno I have not used camino in forever anything new and exciting there? Last time I used it was before Safari came out.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    Safari all the way!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I'm using Mozilla till summer, when Firebird is ready (1.0). Then I'll switch. I can already see how Firebird is faster and better in many respects (most obvious positive thing: it's just a tidy standalone browser, not an application suite), but at this point it lacks some tiny features I've come to like about Mozilla.

Safari seemed OK when I last used it, but I don't know in what respect it is better or equal to Firebird. At the moment there is also the question of platform. I generally prefer software that doesn't tie me to a specific OS.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Camino was excellent, but safari finally surpassed it with v1.2 so Safari is my only browser now.

Omni is nice, but it's a little too, cluttered for my tastes, but it is generally more compatible with windows than safari, however, v1.2 fixes most of that.

I really hope that camino doesn't die, it certainly had worlds of potential.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I dunno OW is looking great.

I really wish they did not add the google bar in OW 5 though, its just a waste of space since the advent of "shortcuts". I usually just end up typing google mysearch in the address bar anyways in both Safari and OW since thats all I have to do for all of my other search sites, versiontracker = vt mysearch, php.net = php mysearch. Its great.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Current favorite is Safari, except the 1.2 update made text input really slow. It's still my favorite. OmniWeb 5 looks very promising though - once it hits a final release, I might just buy it (or at least use it as my default browser for a few weeks to decide).
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Yeah anyone have any idea what caused the slowdown in the text field, or how to fix it? \
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Brad said that it was because of all the animated /gif smilies on the screen.

I suggested that he put a link(pop up window) to those smilies rather than having them appear in the browser, I don't think he read it though \

Other than that, I don't know what would help.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    err sorry bout the thread hijack, is there a thread about this already?

meh, there is only 5 of them that are animated though... and it never did it before, thats really what I was trying to figure out. What they changed that caused it to do this now.

Perhaps I will check Hyatts blog...
  • Reply 14 of 26
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Konqueror all the way baby.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Off to Software...
  • Reply 16 of 26
    thanks brad.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

You might change the style of the poll, too. Was it your intent to give people the ability to select multiple browsers?

yes, people use multiple browsers.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Safari despite its limitations
  • Reply 19 of 26
    For me, I'd guess it's currently Safari 80% of the time, OmniWeb 5 Beta 19% of the time, and Camino/Firebird for the 1% when I'm coding web sites and need to test for Mozilla rendering.

When the bugs get hammered out of OW5, I can easily see those first two numbers reversed.

That's on my Mac.

On the PCs at work (and all my friends I've convinced ) it's Firebird. I didn't vote that, though, since it isn't directly relevant to the poll.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I'm afraid to say that I switched my default browser (and favorite) from Camino to Safari in December. However, work on Camino is progressing quickly again, and Camino might again be my favorite when it hits 0.8 in April. Of course, around that time I'll probably upgrade to a new PowerBook with Panther and Safari 1.2.

Bottom line: Competition is good. Internet Explorer is bad.

Escher