Florida kidnapping and murder

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    In the end, what was that girl's life worth? His lifetime of our tax dollars?

Death penalty or not, why do we have to pay to give this monster "life" (if that) in prison? Where is the justice? The family will never have justice, and neither will the criminal. A lifetime of gang rape---caged like an animal---is cruel and inhumane as well. Whatever the case we are "civilized" enough to support an ever growing child porongraphy industry, and crimes such as these.

In the case of child molestation, the DP is a 100% deterent. The perp will not do it again.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

In the case of child molestation, the DP is a 100% deterent. The perp will not do it again.

The death of Sacco and Vanzetti should be an even greater deterrent from ever using the death penalty. The death penalty has proved to be as bad or even worse than the killing of this girl.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    I live in Sarasota County where this terrible kidnapping and murder occurred. My wife and I have been following the story very closely since Sunday when she was first kidnapped. We only live about 2 miles away from the car wash and usually drive by this area of BeeRidge Road every day. The whole thing feels very close to home for us and an unlikely place for such a thing to go down.

It seems like everything happened so fast from the time she went missing, until the amber alert system went into effect, then Joseph was caught on unrelated charges, and she was located. It's all really a very sad situation for her family and many who can relate.

Tonight there was a memorial at the church where she was found last night where members of the community shared their tears for Carlie.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I am surprise by the numbers of people here who where ready to torture this monster.

How torture, kill or whatsoever can change the past, or bring some hapiness to anyone ? After splitting the guy in small pieces, do you think that you will be in better mood ? : no your hands will just be bloody, and you will be disguted of yourself, because you will have lowered yourself to the level of this man.

Now if i see such a man raping a child in front fo me, i may consider to kill him, but this is an another story.

My only wish for this kind of people, is that they are punish, and that we get them out of the society eternally.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

How torture, kill or whatsoever can change the past, or bring some hapiness to anyone ? After splitting the guy in small pieces, do you think that you will be in better mood ? : no your hands will just be bloody, and you will be disguted of yourself, because you will have lowered yourself to the level of this man.

Well, of course you are right. People here are speaking with anger and disgust in their hearts from events so recent.

I would venture to say that most of us, maybe all, would not really advocate torture when it came right down to it. It's easier to be dispassionate when at a distance from the time frame of the crime. And you're right, stooping to that level doesn't accomplish anything constructive.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

I would venture to say that most of us, maybe all, would not really advocate torture when it came right down to it. It's easier to be dispassionate when at a distance from the time frame of the crime. And you're right, stooping to that level doesn't accomplish anything constructive.

You are right , time is recquired for dispassionating peoples.

I don't know if the world was really more safe some years ago, or if we just ignored these kind of stories. But the truth is i fell more insecure for my kids, than for me.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    OK, then we'll put him in prison for the rest of his life. We'll feed him and clothe him. We'll give him a warm bed each night and the structure he probably never had as a youth. He'll get some of the best health care available. He'll probably have priveleges to watch television, play games, read books, have visitation from his family and friends.

If he is put into a mental ward, then we'll show him lots of love and compassion because of the possibility that he can be reintegrated back into society in the future.

All in all the taxpayers can spend a million or two and keep him comfortable for the rest of his life while his victim's family gets nothing.

Yup, that's fair...

...or we can just put him to death and give that million or two to his family.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue master

OK, then we'll put him in prison for the rest of his life. We'll feed him and clothe him. We'll give him a warm bed each night and the structure he probably never had as a youth. He'll get some of the best health care available. He'll probably have priveleges to watch television, play games, read books, have visitation from his family and friends.

If he is put into a mental ward, then we'll show him lots of love and compassion because of the possibility that he can be reintegrated back into society in the future.

All in all the taxpayers can spend a million or two and keep him comfortable for the rest of his life while his victim's family gets nothing.

Yup, that's fair...

...or we can just put him to death and give that million or two to his family.

I know, it really doesn't seem fair somehow, does it?

I guess that's why I have ambivalence after my name. I can identify with both sides of so many issues. Sigh.

Even those who are sentenced to death seem to live on death row for 10, 15, even 20 years while costly appeals drag out, paid for by the taxpayer.

I was wondering, did anyone feel sorry for Jeffrey Dahmer when he got murdered in prison? Just curious.

Btw, some states are now separating the sex offenders into completely separate units from other prisoners.

One thing about prisoners I always thought was interesting was that no matter how scummy the other prisoners were in their own right, they pretty much ALL hate the sex offenders who harm children. At least they have that sense of decency.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I am surprise by the numbers of people here who where ready to torture this monster.

Now if i see such a man raping a child in front fo me, i may consider to kill him, but this is an another story.

My only wish for this kind of people, is that they are punish, and that we get them out of the society eternally.

Yeah, it always freaks me out what people say. I suppose it's just talk. But you wonder: Probably many Baathists felt the same way about people who opposed Saddam's government, and many Cambodians and Chinese and Stalinists and Nazis felt that way too, and they actually went through with many of these things, and worse. And I'm sure they felt their cause was quite just. Clearly, people are capable of it, so maybe it's not just talk. \
  • Reply 30 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

I was wondering, did anyone feel sorry for Jeffrey Dahmer when he got murdered in prison? Just curious.

It's not a matter of feeling sorry for someone. Everyone has rights and everyoen deserves them. Anyone that wants to change that should be first in line to lose them. Some people aren't good people, but they have rights too. Rights that exist with or without the government, so they're not rights the government can take away.