Alpine and Apple [iPod]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Looks like Alpine now has iPod compatible car stereos!

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...icle_650.shtml

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Slick! I like it. Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    This is nice! Of course, maybe I should wait for a model with a slot that the iPod plugs into.

I've got a 30GB iPod, but this makes me wonder if the iPod and the iPod mini have the same dock interface, plus if this Alpine works with older iPods that don't have a dock interface.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Alpine you probably just guaranteed a sale.

I'm still interested in the Phatbox from www.phatnoise.com but I like Alpine decks and right now I like the entry level costs of an iPod and Alpine deck with this support. I'll wait to hear reviews of this combo before purchasing an Alpine Deck
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Since the press release doesn't give any model numbers or prices, I thought I'd check out Alpine's web site.

I don't see anything on Alpine's site except an even older press release about the iPod. None of the descriptions of head units mention iPod connectivity as a feature, nor do I see a separate iPod Ai-Net box.

Any idea where to find price and availability info on this?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    If its a high end HU, expect around 400 to 500.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I am an iPod peripheral junkie and will buy this as soon as it hits the market. This is the solution that I have been wanting since I got my first iPod in 2001. I wonder if Alpine backwards engineered it or got help from Apple?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    i like apple, and i think its time to get a new alpine :>

ive had myne for a few years now..
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

This is nice! Of course, maybe I should wait for a model with a slot that the iPod plugs into.

I've got a 30GB iPod, but this makes me wonder if the iPod and the iPod mini have the same dock interface, plus if this Alpine works with older iPods that don't have a dock interface.

It works with dock iPods only (ie. gen 3 and mini) as it uses the iPod accessory protocol through the dock connector.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

If its a high end HU, expect around 400 to 500.

That's getting off cheap compared to what Alpine would call "high end".

If there's a US$400-$500 unit among those that support the iPod, I'll probably buy it in a flash. The only hesitancy I might have is that from the picture in the press release, there's an outboard processor box involved in this. I'd like it best if all of the iPod functionality fit completely into the head end.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Looks cool. But wouldn't be cooler if someone designed an unit which accepted the iPod like a cassette? Just slid the iPod in and then navigate the menus through the head unit or steering wheel.

Impractical? Too large an investment into an iPod?
  • Reply 11 of 36
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Looks cool. But wouldn't be cooler if someone designed an unit which accepted the iPod like a cassette? Just slid the iPod in and then navigate the menus through the head unit or steering wheel.

Impractical? Too large an investment into an iPod?

I have thought of this before, but it would prove impractical, since it would leave little to no space for a decent display and navigation controls. I'd rather have something like the mentioned 1 cable Alpine solution.

Best of all, I believe this is just the start of a cool line of products compatible with the iPod dock protocol coming soon to a car near you.

8)
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Ideally it would be better if you could plug the iPod in somewhere and controll everything from the HU. Not sure if thats the plan, but that would seem like the best idea, instead of fiddling with a little circle while driving. If I can get my steering wheel controls to work with the iPod, then I'll be impressed.

True, 500 would be cheap compared to what alpine would like to sell it to us... but with all the reports on audio quality issues, is this really a good idea? Most people who would buy this HU usually have pretty high end stero systems ranging in the 1000's of dollars. I've seen low quality mp3's on club systems, and they sound horrible. I think a concearn will be the quality of 128 AAC, which I'm not too thrilled with personally.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

I have thought of this before, but it would prove impractical, since it would leave little to no space for a decent display and navigation controls

But, what if the HU flipped down? Then the iPod would be hidden from view. Hey, that could be a security feature too.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Ideally it would be better if you could plug the iPod in somewhere and controll everything from the HU. Not sure if thats the plan, but that would seem like the best idea, instead of fiddling with a little circle while driving. If I can get my steering wheel controls to work with the iPod, then I'll be impressed.

Isn't that just what this unit does?

Amorya
  • Reply 15 of 36
    I'm not sure... I didn't read the specs on it.

I didn't know apple had an API for the iPod like that.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

Isn't that just what this unit does?

Amorya

Yes that is what this unit does. The way I see it Alpine have come up with a module that you plug the iPod into, it than translates between the bus protocol used by probably any of their head units that support CD Changers/MD changers etc. to the iPod protocol. As a result I don't think you will be limited to only their high end head units.

If you look at the picture they show the head unit and another white box. The white box is the development here not the head unit. Most headunits that support CD/MD changers these days have support for track titles and that sort of stuff so they are basically just making use of that to make the iPod another input source.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    this may not be a big issue, but i wanna bring it up. in the pic of the whole system on the alpine page or wherever, there is a check mark on the iPod. i realize this might just a PS job, but if it isnt, that would imply that the ipod must be "connected" (like when it's syncing) at all times, which we all know keeps the hard drive spinning for extended periods of time and causes unnecessary wear and tear on everything. so, if thats true, scratch this alpine thing off the list. if it turns out to just be PS work, then i might just have to get that....
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Does charging the iPod through just the electrical outlet cause the same wear and tear as when it is charging through the computer and firewire?
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Griffin Technologies has the "iTrip"....SUPER little gadget (FM Transmitter) that's a LOT less expensive than an Alpine.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Except anyone serious about car audio knows that FM Transmitters are shit.