cell phones at gas stations (shakes head)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Cell phones in gas stations are a myth. Radiowaves never make explose gas. If it was the case many people who phone in their cars will blow up ...

Static electricity is more dangerous has it generate much more voltage.

As for hospitals it's true that cell phones are not allowed in some aeras. Althought that with proper protection (faraday cage) a scope should not be disturbed by a ghz radiowave. But as it it's not allowed, we do not do it.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If these radio waves are so potentially dangerous to electronic equipment, why do we put these same radio waves next to our heads?
  • Reply 23 of 52
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I suspect it's because they're really uptight about the potential of RF interference setting off somebody's pacemaker. I can never get a decent enough signal in hospitals anyway.

"Hello? ... Yeah it's me ... Hold on, let me put my handset up against this guy's chest ... okay can you hear me now?" *bzzz*

Yea and when my father had one they told him to get a cell phone for emergencies.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

If these radio waves are so potentially dangerous to electronic equipment, why do we put these same radio waves next to our heads?

Because we are head-holes
  • Reply 25 of 52
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

As for the cell phones at gas stations, Im not advocating you live in fear all your lives, but do you really want to be the guy that blows up a gas station because you were talking on a cell phone. Better safe than sorry I think.

"Better safe than sorry"-type thinking can go too far. At a certain point it gets to be like "Well, I can't prove that a tin foil hat won't keep the alien mind probe beams out of my head, so just to be safe, I'd better wear one just in case."
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I guess as long as you're only harming yourself and not others in the hospital it's okay right. It's just a brain tumor. I remember hearing something about the problems of excessive cell phone usage on 20/20. I think you have to talk on the phone everyday for over an hour to be running the risk of tumor development in your brain. Oh yeah if your a man, don't forget not to leave your phone sitting in your lap while driving. I think you all know what I'm getting at regarding the lap thing... If anyone remembers this better than I, feel free to elaborate on this or correct me if I'm wrong. I guess my brains a little foggy from all that cell phone usage.

This cell phone thing is like smoking. Why do people inhale toxic smoke into their lungs? Because they are in denial of the long term consequences and are just living in the moment.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Cell phones don't cause cancer at all. The whole thing was started by a lawyer that wanted to sue someone because his wife got a brian tumor. Her tumor was on the same side that she held her cell phone on so ... it must have been the cause.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Cell phones don't cause cancer at all. The whole thing was started by a lawyer that wanted to sue someone because his wife got a brian tumor. Her tumor was on the same side that she held her cell phone on so ... it must have been the cause.

And studies have been done that show an increase in tumors on the same side of the head that people use for their cell phones.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

And studies have been done that show an increase in tumors on the same side of the head that people use for their cell phones.

There isn't any contradiction there.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    I was at a gas station in Tuscaloosa and some old bearded guy told me that. I was like "Yeah, thanks." and put my cell phone up cause I thought he was crazy and I didn't want to irritate him. I don't think I've ever seen anyone blow up a gas station with their cell phone.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Most people out there who make this stuff up are ignorant. If you told me "fine, blow the place up." I'd tear off your head, shit down your neck, and then tell you in 4 reasons why you're an idiot.

The iron-y doc, the iron-y is killin' me. Because all the non-ignorant, enlightened people I know of, regularly talk about decapitating people and defecating on the corpse. Class all the way, even if it was just sarcasm.

• Reply 32 of 52
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Linkage, please.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:

Because all the non-ignorant, enlightened people I know of, regularly talk about decapitating people and defecating on the corpse.

Stephen Hawking does it all the time.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

I don't think I've ever seen anyone blow up a gas station with their cell phone.

If you did, I'm sure you wouldn't be here to tell us about it?haha
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Linkage, please.

It seems that i heard a story of a possible relation with growing of brain tumor and cell phone, but a google search on the subject lead to nothing.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

I don't think I've ever seen anyone blow up a gas station with their cell phone.

I hope you can say that sentence without the cell phone bit on the end.

I've never seen anyone blow up a gas station with a grenade, flame thrower, or pipe bomb, but I think it can be done.

• Reply 37 of 52
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

It seems that i heard a story of a possible relation with growing of brain tumor and cell phone, but a google search on the subject lead to nothing.

Here's a few links:

No, they don't, but?

Maybe yes, maybe no

Not really, but don't take our word for it

So far, it looks like no, but?

I suspect it's like carcinogenic fluoride in the drinking water. Some think that it's affecting the purity of one's precious bodily fluids, but really you would have to eat it as a meal 3 times a day for 40 years to begin to cause damage.

And finally with regard to the danger of cell phones at gas stations? False
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

I've never seen anyone blow up a gas station with a grenade, flame thrower, or pipe bomb, but I think it can be done

Well, I don't see many people at gas stations with pipe bombs, flame throwers, or grenades either. If I saw people at gas stations with those items all the time, and no gas station ever blew up from their use, I think I would have mentioned it alongside the cell phones.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

You need to chill out, man. It is not that big of a deal.

If someone walked up to me and started ragging on me for using my cell phone, I'd probably mumble a "whatever" and keep talking too. If he then told me to blow the place up called me an asshole, I'd grab him and throw his ignorant ass to the ground.

And in this case, that would be you I guess.

no yer the ignorant one
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Score one for Snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

how do you know it can't happen?

well one of you guys can be the first

several gas stations i've been to have signs saying not to use cells or even have them turned on