iMac Future

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From Faeylyn

============================================

3. AIO (All In One) iMacs are bye-bye. Take the pod/base of the iMac, chop off the display, redesign it to look uber-cool as only Ives can do, plop in single G5s and impressive (albeit less impressive than PowerMac) internals, and price-points of $999/1.6GHz, $1299/1.8GHz, $1599/2.0GHz. No super-drive or oodles of memory at $999. This effectively takes care of the ?new cube? or ?headless iMac? rumors. But what about AIO lovers? AIO iMacs are gone, but we?re not done yet. Keep reading?.

============================================

This idea lacks the punch that the iMac needs to once again reinvigorate Apple Computer's consumer flag-ship machine.

What needs to happen is something that can start off inexpensive, yet be functional but have design built in for add ons, if so desired. Think if there were the spherical base of the iMac with a sort of indentation along the back of it, a cut-in line. A place where a new Apple display of any size or price could fit. But this would be designed so that if you chose to not use an Apple display, the iMac would still look very cool.

You would still be able to use a monitor of your choice with the iMacs design, not forcing the AIO concept but offering it.

Also, why not build in an iPod dock, just to further its permeation even more. That would be a great feature, a built in iPod dock...that way there would be no need to buy an external one if you were buying the iMac and it also gives iPod owners an incentive to buy an iMac. Of course, $35 is not a big investment compared to $999 but the cool factor (if done right) might make a nice bonus feature.

The Apple "optional iMac display" brings up an interesting array of possibilities. Would it be a tablet too? Would it just snap into place and be a normally functioning LCD display with no tablet-like features? Why not just instead of cut out a space for an LCD to drop in, make a hole to drop a current iMac with chrome arm into? Maybe Apple could do any of these things, I am just throwing out some "before bed ideas" and I think they sound kind of cool.

Somehow, Apple needs to play off of its design strengths, iPod, and media presence right now and deliver a really new and cool product. Something that revitalizes a rather boring and seemingly dead end product, whose design only leads to internal spec bumps and larger screens.

Oh, and bring back colors too.

From www.macrumors.com

==========================================

Apple's Focus, Digital Music and More to Come?

MacUser.co.uk's Paul Nesbitt raises some points about Apple's recent focus on music.

He reminds us that "the cornerstone of Apple's music strategy is to leverage its dominant position to sell more Macs to consumers".

That being said, Nesbitt is critical of Apple's apparent negligence of it's consumer line - specifically in regard to disappointing iMac sales and a lack of recent updates.

Readers are reminded, however, that Steve Jobs hinted at more to come this year: "We're gonna make something of this year [2004]. We are working on some incredible new products for this year. It's going to be a great Mac year. We've got some wonderful things that we'll announce throughout the year that I think you will love as much as we do. It's going to be a great 20th anniversary year for the Macintosh."

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=53130" target="_blank">http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?<a href="htt...p?id=53130</a>

===========================================

This guy provided what I think is a fair and accurate portrayal of the current situation. A good snap shot of the time if you will.

The iMac does need to be taken care of, however it is important to note that any student can get a 1 Ghz eMac for $748 right now. How many kids have parents that know about the potential education discount?

In any case, the updates are to be "expected soon" as he says, and most of us here think they are also imminent.

Apple does need to and should be capatalizing on their market position right now, their media recognition has also never been higher. Something needs to be done soon before the window closes. With the current Apple leadership, I think they will get a lot out for us and everyone before that window closes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 225
    I doubt the iMac will die, but it may. Apple has had this bad habit of letting computers **COUGH** POWERBOOK!!! **COUGH** almost stop selling completely before they update them. I would say this is the case with the iMacs, they'll see an update soon, but not soon enough (they are way overdue as is). We'll see what the coming weeks bring us. My money is on an iMac update (along with others).
  • Reply 2 of 225
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Sony has an "aoi"

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...eries&Dept=cpu

why can't apple make a pseudo AOI with separate screen that looks like it's aoi but has a wireless keyboard the monitor contains all the other guts the optical drive could be veritical contain all the ports and additional usb2 ports on the wireless keyboard

then the "base" stays the same and you buy/ upgrade the monitor

gives more flexibility to the imac, they would then creat a monitor upgrade path, which might have higher profit margins and keep people in apple displays
  • Reply 3 of 225
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    The modular iMac idea is one that we discussed a few months ago on these boards, and I still think it is a good idea:

Redesign the base so that it is rounded back and front, with straight sides and flat top and bottom* - thus functioning well as a separate desktop or stacked away somewhere discreet - and engineer the base so that it can be sold with or without ?the Arm?.

This would fulfill the need for the headless iMac, while also allowing for an AIO. Make it look cool and price it right and you have a hit. Give it a G5 and I will be lining up at the door for it.

* the shape I am thinking of is a disk, perhaps two inches thick and 10? in diameter, with squared sides
  • Reply 4 of 225
    I'd like to see the next Macintosh drop the "i" moniker and just become a Mac. Whatever form factor the base unit has (I like the idea of a pyramid shape, but a cube would do) I'd like to see an attached monitor optional.

Use the display from the Powerbook (15.2") as the low end display option to preserve the wide screen display format, then 17" and 20" as currently used, but with a redesign to compliment the aluminum look.

Design a base to plug in the adjustable arm, and equip it with all the needed ports (USB2, Firewire 400 & 800, speaker and headphone jacks).

The low end Macintosh, without the display, could sell for $599 (or so) and attract the price conscience shoppers. Adding an Apple display would be a tool-less plug and play upgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 225
    Actually the current imacs are plenty cool I think, though I think something is going to happen to them in the near future. My dad just ordered one, he got sick of waiting. But he says him and everyone at work when they think apple they think iMac. Maybe thats perception in west texas being that everything there that is any kind of cool hits there last heh. He's very excited about getting it though, and he's been a PC guy all his life.
  • Reply 6 of 225
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    If Apple is to keep crippling it's AIO models without allowing true monitor spanning then I think it should be put to rest.

That, or some 3rd party company needs to build a breakout box that will make the iMac's built-in LCD more useful (i.e. usable as an external, true monitor spanning, tv tuner, etc..)

At least this way, the life span of the iMac is extended plus it'll breathe some life into current owners. The iMac just needs a shakeup of some sort.
  • Reply 7 of 225
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Redesign the base so that it is rounded back and front, with straight sides and flat top and bottom* - thus functioning well as a separate desktop or stacked away somewhere discreet...the shape I am thinking of is a disk, perhaps two inches thick and 10? in diameter, with squared sides

Something like this, Chinney? [edit: hah! I just realized I got your request wrong: I made the front and back flat and the sides rounded Oops! Okay, mentally flip that when viewing mockup...]

Just rough and quick, but I was trying to imagine what you were saying.

Here's the thing: I used to have a Quadra 610, which was like a Domino's pizza box-sized thing. So figuring in all the advances made in the past 8-10 years (not to mention looking at the current domed iMac base), Apple could indeed get something small (but not "laptop small", requiring miniaturization, higher costs, etc.) to cram the "guts" into.

Bear in mind that the above doodle HAS NOT been run through the Ive filter?, so don't get too hung up on the specifics (shape, curves, design, etc.). I was just trying to imagine Chinney's description. It ain't pretty...just a quick mechanical.

Whatever they do, however, one thing in my drawing is true (and borrowed from the G5): at least one each of FireWire and USB ports ON FRONT, easily accessible for digital cameras, camcorders, iPods, thumb drives, etc. There will be more on the back for more permanently connected devices like external hard drives, printers, scanners, etc.

Just like the G5. Not much of a "digital hub" if you constantly have to struggle to reach around to find the very ports needed to connect your digital devices. That's why the G5 rocks and the LCD iMac is a pain.

I imagine a "hole" (but a bit more elegant) that a separately sold "iDisplay" can be dropped into or connected with. The display HAS to be designed for tilt and swivel operation. That cat is now out of the bag, so any future iMac lacking this is going to suck. People LOVE being able to spin that thing around to show co-workers, friends, family, customers, etc. stuff on the screen. It's the coolest part of the current iMacs, so we CANNOT lose that!

What if the entire "disk" were on a swivel platform underneath? I don't know...then you run into "cable snag" issues. The display can just sit on top and spin around, and also, somehow, tilt back and forth. The height thing, I don't know. I'm willing to lose it. But tilt and swivel is a must.

Something like this, to be used with a matching Apple-designed display (in 15", 17" and 20" widescreen choices) OR for those who a) already have a display, b) don't like Apple's stuff or c) prefer CRTs will have that option now. You can "have a cool Apple iMac", but pair it with YOUR choice of display (or get one of Apple's). Some sort of bundle incentive would be in place, to push people to opt for the cool, matching Apple solution, of course.

• Reply 8 of 225
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    pscates

The problem I see, with such a design, is IF Apple chooses to add any graphics card upgradeability or heaven forbid PCI slots, it would appear that with this design, access will have to be from the bottom.

All in all though, nice concept.
  • Reply 9 of 225
    Personally, I was thinking something more cube shaped because that way an iPod dock could be built right into its design. And the iMac does not need a whole indentation just for the monitor, just as the current one only has about a 4 inch perimiter entrance area.

I just visualize a G4 Cube looking thing, but wider, maybe bigger and it would have a holding spot dock built on top of it near the sloat load drive. In the back to middle back area of the top would be the "hole" that wouldnt even be prevalent unless a monitor was inserted into it. Imagine a door lock, the kind where you push the button in. The iMac could work like that, it just looks seamless but the monitor hole collapses in when a monitor is pushed into it.
  • Reply 10 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Something like this, Chinney? [edit: hah! I just realized I got your request wrong: I made the front and back flat and the sides rounded Oops! Okay, mentally flip that when viewing mockup...]

I prefer that mockup the way it is. And it definitely has something of the 'Ive factor'!
  • Reply 11 of 225
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It almost has a bedpan quality to it, now that I look at it.

iPee.
  • Reply 12 of 225
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

[...]

Awesome work pscates. Your drawing and description is very much what I had in mind - with some 'Ive' factor added to it, of course. As you indicated, however, I would put the squared ends on the sides. While 'Donny1' has has since suggested that he prefers the sides 'as shown', I think it would look nicer to have the curve facing toward the user. Also, I suggest the squared sides for practical reasons: my dream is to be able to mount one of these under the desktop in an underslung mount, and squared sides will make it easier to slide this slim beauty in and out. (Suggestive wording unintentional...)
  • Reply 13 of 225
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I think the iMac is probably dead.

The iPod is king right now and Apple will not come out with sexy new hardware to take the limelight off the iPod.

Anyways, Apple is not real concerned about the "computer for the rest of us" anymore.
  • Reply 14 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

I think the iMac is probably dead.

The iPod is king right now and Apple will not come out with sexy new hardware to take the limelight off the iPod.

Anyways, Apple is not real concerned about the "computer for the rest of us" anymore.

That's bullshit, just because it hasnt come yet doesnt mean it isnt in the pipeline. Steve's a product guy, Apple designs. It is coming.
  • Reply 15 of 225
    Quote:

Apple must soon address its disappointing iMac sales if it is to capitalise on the high profile generated by the success of the iPod, writes Paul Nesbitt in the latest issue of MacUser.

'Why,' he asks, 'has Apple taken its eye of the ball when it comes to the consumer PC market? The iMac is clearly failing. Its plight is even more worse than it seems, because Apple includes sales of the eMac in the iMac's sales. Even more damning is that Apple's profile in consumer markets has probably never been higher.'

The iMac is too inflexible he argues: 'Apple's insistence on producing "all-in-one" iMacs with virtually no upgradability is partly to blame. You buy an iMac and you can kiss goodbye to any idea of using any spare monitor you might have. No wonder there have been clamours for the company to reinvent the ill-fated Cube as an entry-level consumer iMac.'

And too expensive: 'Apple's main problem has been its refusal to price the iMac as a genuine hot consumer item, rather than as a glorified executive toy.'

And his conclusion? A new 'iMac', to be announced soon.

Macuser.co.uk The extended rant is worth a read too. (Talking about Fred Anderson's admission that Apple are clearly out of reach of most with a price outside of the $999 'sweet spot'.)

That about sums the iMac 2 up. The 20 inch iMac 2 is like the Flower Power iMac. It's a last gasp signal that change is coming.

I'm with Faelyn on this one...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 16 of 225
    I like the hints that forthcoming LCDs may be dockable or aesthetic to the new iMac but can stand on their own.

This gives the iMac some much needed flexibility.

The range of monitors needn't lose the iMac 2's best feature. The 'arm'.

I don't think it need be attached to the base unit at all. A gorgeous Ive pizza, cube or other cool but upgradeable concept would be quite nice. May be mini-tower. May be cube. May be pizza.

Won't be dome.

Pudding.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 17 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Macuser.co.uk The extended rant is worth a read too. (Talking about Fred Anderson's admission that Apple are clearly out of reach of most with a price outside of the $999 'sweet spot'.)

That about sums the iMac 2 up. The 20 inch iMac 2 is like the Flower Power iMac. It's a last gasp signal that change is coming.

I'm with Faelyn on this one...

Lemon Bon Bon

Precisely, because the iMac was designed in such a way (although great for a while) that is has no place else to go. It is getting bigger and faster, not more ergonimic or sophistacated. Although the screen on the 20 inch iMac is gorgeous, it just seems to me that it is ludicrously gorgeous. It is a museum piece at its current price, who would spend 2200 on the 20 inch iMac when they could get a much faster G5 and a decent display for the same price? Not to mention the iMac's lack of shipping RAM-256 MB! What a joke!

Change better be coming because right now the iMac is a nice looking but dead end product, languishing at a price nobody would seriously pay unless they had cash to burn.
  • Reply 18 of 225
    You are all hoping for too much, too soon. I'm in the Apple store near me every other day and people are STILL surprised when the sales person shows them how the LCD can be adjusted on the arm. It may seem old to us Mac faithful who obscess every other minute on what the next cool new Mac device might be, but to the general public the iMacs are still new and fresh.

Look for feature enhancements and little boosts and upgrades, but nothing very dramatic.

Of course by saying this, tomorrow Apple will reveal the G5, Aluminium iMac Sphere!
  • Reply 19 of 225
    Quote:

Just rough and quick, but I was trying to imagine what you were saying.

Here's the thing: I used to have a Quadra 610, which was like a Domino's pizza box-sized thing. So figuring in all the advances made in the past 8-10 years (not to mention looking at the current domed iMac base), Apple could indeed get something small (but not "laptop small", requiring miniaturization, higher costs, etc.) to cram the "guts" into.

Bear in mind that the above doodle HAS NOT been run through the Ive filter?, so don't get too hung up on the specifics (shape, curves, design, etc.). I was just trying to imagine Chinney's description. It ain't pretty...just a quick mechanical.

Whatever they do, however, one thing in my drawing is true (and borrowed from the G5): at least one each of FireWire and USB ports ON FRONT, easily accessible for digital cameras, camcorders, iPods, thumb drives, etc. There will be more on the back for more permanently connected devices like external hard drives, printers, scanners, etc.

Just like the G5. Not much of a "digital hub" if you constantly have to struggle to reach around to find the very ports needed to connect your digital devices. That's why the G5 rocks and the LCD iMac is a pain.

I imagine a "hole" (but a bit more elegant) that a separately sold "iDisplay" can be dropped into or connected with. The display HAS to be designed for tilt and swivel operation. That cat is now out of the bag, so any future iMac lacking this is going to suck. People LOVE being able to spin that thing around to show co-workers, friends, family, customers, etc. stuff on the screen. It's the coolest part of the current iMacs, so we CANNOT lose that!

What if the entire "disk" were on a swivel platform underneath? I don't know...then you run into "cable snag" issues. The display can just sit on top and spin around, and also, somehow, tilt back and forth. The height thing, I don't know. I'm willing to lose it. But tilt and swivel is a must.

Something like this, to be used with a matching Apple-designed display (in 15", 17" and 20" widescreen choices) OR for those who a) already have a display, b) don't like Apple's stuff or c) prefer CRTs will have that option now. You can "have a cool Apple iMac", but pair it with YOUR choice of display (or get one of Apple's). Some sort of bundle incentive would be in place, to push people to opt for the cool, matching Apple solution, of course.

@#*%$!......Put a G5 in that and I'll take two.Where do I send the check?
  • Reply 20 of 225
    People need to start changing the way they think around here. The greatest detriment to many people's success tomorrow is their thinking today. If their thinking is limited so is their potential. But if people can keep growing in their thinking, they will constantly outgrow what they are doing. And their potential will always be off the charts.

Apple's potential is way off the charts because they have people that can think. They are always a step ahead of us, we think we have the answers and then we see the actual sensible solution. It isnt always our dream come true, it isnt always the best possible solution for everyone, but we usually see why they did what they did. And it makes sense.