How many of you buy the software you use?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ditto.

I'm trying to think if there is any commercial software I *use*?!

TeXShop, Xcode, OmniGraffle... hurm.

I guess OG is about as close as I get to commercial products.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

All my commercial software is paid for, and all the shareware I use is paid for.

Being a photographer, Adobe, and not to mention Apple, usually hits me up for the cash, about every 18 months or so...

Other needed appliance software, comes with different products printers, scanners, Cameras, CD burners some of these of which I have spent the extra cash to upgrade to their better software... Others I throw away...
  • Reply 23 of 40
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Explain()

{

ast3r3x = LoveBitTorrent(True);

}

That about says it all, although my version of photoshop is legit because I work for a photographer who gets it for me. Panther is legit too because my friend paid the $20 upgrade that came with my new PowerBook and then I let him make a copy of them so I have the legit and him the copy
  • Reply 24 of 40
    I work in IT at a hospital. We have an Enterprise Suite License for all of Microsoft products. Every week we get a new shipment of M$ cd's of everything they make including Office for Mac. Out of 2000 users I am the only one who uses a Mac...so I get to keep the Office CD's. Plus I actually use my PB @ work, which pissess some people off, but its legit.

Everything else I buy.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I missed out on getting Keynote for £12 (UK education promo with Jaguar). Still, I got Panther for £69 .
  • Reply 26 of 40
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i'm pretty sure the last piece of software i paid for was mac os x (the first non-developer preview). it was a momentous occassion (in '01, iirc). since then, i've stolen more than my share of programs (feds relent, and read on). i've turned around recently though, and now a days i tend to only license software which is free, which often happens to be no-cost. if i do have any non-free programs, they were acquired incidentally, and with certainty are legally licensed at no cost to the user. i don't think i have any illegal software around anymore. i do like pirates though, and so does my tatt.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    i see most of the people here buy the software's they use.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    To be fair I don't use much software that costs money, so it's not as bad as I made it sound.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    I buy most of my software, some I don't actually pay for but I own them legally anyway
  • Reply 30 of 40
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The only software I've ever paid for is the Ambrosia SW stuff, and a couple of other shareware programs. Apart from that I just use the software that comes with every new Mac and free and open source software on my Mac and Linux box... and future iBook I'm ordering on Friday
  • Reply 31 of 40
    I don't use any software I'm not willing to pay for, and any software I use, I want to pay for so it will continue to be produced.

I didn't pay for my copy of Sibelius 1.4, but I didn't steal it from Sibelius, I simply took the extra copy lying around my high school when I graduated. The choir director there ordered two copies on a PO, one for the school and one for her to take when she stopped working there. Well, she forgot it.

But it only runs in Classic, so I can't use my MIDI keyboard for input. I'll have to try and scrounge up $350.

But most of the software I use, outside of music, came with my computer.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    i pay for things worth paying for. also, if i'm making money using a program, i make sure i buy it.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Typically you should own your OS and anything you use to make money with.

Luckily for me, I think, I can get any MS product for free so it makes 'purchasing' products a lot cheaper.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    I have never pirated software in my life. Then again, Panther is the most expensive piece of software I own for Mac, so... :P

I've got a legal copy of Photoshop 6.0 on my PC though (which is the only reason I keep my PC.) Can't wait til' I can afford to get Photoshop 7.0 for OS X.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

I have never pirated software in my life. Then again, Panther is the most expensive piece of software I own for Mac, so... :P

I've got a legal copy of Photoshop 6.0 on my PC though (which is the only reason I keep my PC.) Can't wait til' I can afford to get Photoshop 7.0 for OS X.

You can probably get Photoshop 7 real cheap now, unless you want 8 (CS)
  • Reply 36 of 40
    I have paid for all my software. I bought Panther (Family edition) 1 copy of OfficeX (Teacher/Student) 2 copies of OfficeX (full version), iLife'04(Family pack) and all of the Adobe CS programs. I also use a PC for work on occasion(Aaaaarrrrggghhh!) and we have all the software I need for PC's. (I wish they had some mac stuff since I use my personal PB for work!
  • Reply 37 of 40
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

My most commonly used apps are those included with Panther and of course I bought those. I'm upgrading to iLife '04 in a week. I do have a piece or two of illegitimate software on my computer but if I use anything with any regularity I buy it.

ditto
  • Reply 38 of 40
    what is ditto?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    ditto = "the same"

Eg, I am the same or I think the same

Or in Paul's case, he's bought the same software as the post he was quoting.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I'm a student/home/leisure user.

I've bought some of the software I've used, mostly games. The rest are either no-cost or unpaid copies.

I like to pay when I feel I get a quality product in return, and the price is reasonable. I would also pay if I used software for profit, to keep my business legit. Personal copying is legal here.

My day-to-day software is no-cost. Mozilla, Vim, Winamp.

I have a long-term project to be more independent from proprietary software. Prime examples for this are learning to use Linux, BSDs and Gimp.

(Like I'd pay for Windows anyway.. the point is I don't want to pay for it when/if I set up a business.)