Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo at 6:00 PM CT

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Wow - quite a fast paced game. Runs pretty smooth (but then I do have a Dual G5). Overall looks pretty cool - might have to spend some time with this one.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Pie Man

Wow - quite a fast paced game. Runs pretty smooth (but then I do have a Dual G5). Overall looks pretty cool - might have to spend some time with this one.

Do you have access to the single player game?
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Some comments:

1. As every fule no, the single person game in UT, at least from 2003 on (I haven't played earlier versions) is called "Instant Action". The greyed out "Single Player" option is, with UT2003 at least, a "ladder" game where you play progressively harder levels thereby gaining some sort of sense of achievement. You don't have to play it, and it doesn't need to be in the demo. I have the full version of UT2003, play it a lot, rarely play networked games, and have only once bothered with the Single Player option. Don't sweat it. You don't need a network connection.

2. Performance on an 800MHz G4 PowerBook with a Radeon 7500 is "ok". Not outstanding, but some of the comments about performance on much faster hardware have began with the prefix "un" and ended on the word "playable", and while it's a far cry from the smoothness of UT2003 (well, usually smooth), none of the levels I tried were unplayably slow. In fairness though, I cut UT2004 down to 800x600 16 bit colour[edit - had said 16 colours - heheh] (I run UT2003 in 1024x768 ), though I think my other options were identical.

I suspect that most of the performance complaints are because people have left Safari running in the background having downloaded the demo from one of the many sites that has 700 flash advertisements running simultaneously. Quit everything. Also remember UT2003, and presumably 2004, is a memory hog, if you don't have a full gigabyte of RAM in your Mac you will get stuttering with UT2003.

3. I wouldn't buy it, on the basis of this anyway. Despite the above, performance is significantly poorer than with UT2003 (and I can't really afford a twin-G5 right now), the graphics are ugly, the entire thing lacks the professional polish of UT2003. There are some interesting levels, there's a cool one with three "trains" travelling in parallel for example, and there's a lot of levels with vehicles (which was possible in UT2003, but none of the bundled levels came with them. Look out for a CTF Mars themed one on the various map download sites for an example of a UT2003 level with a vehicle.), but I don't think they add significantly to the system enough for me to be happy with the general inelegance of the whole package. Hopefully they'll put some work into making the system more optimal and hire a graphic designer or something.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Man, I'm only getting 0.2kB/s off of BitTorrent. That's even worse than the macgamefiles download. I guess I picked a bad day to sleep in.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

the single person game in UT, at least from 2003 on (I haven't played earlier versions) is called "Instant Action". The greyed out "Single Player" option is, with UT2003 at least, a "ladder" game where you play progressively harder levels thereby gaining some sort of sense of achievement. You don't have to play it, and it doesn't need to be in the demo. I have the full version of UT2003, play it a lot, rarely play networked games, and have only once bothered with the Single Player option. Don't sweat it. You don't need a network connection.

Ah... thanks

Quote:

As every fule no *snip*

Watch it sonny
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Man, I'm only getting 0.2kB/s off of BitTorrent. That's even worse than the macgamefiles download. I guess I picked a bad day to sleep in.

Now it's up to 1 day, 14 minutes. \
  • Reply 27 of 38
    I'm going to revise this review a little:

Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

2. Performance on an 800MHz G4 PowerBook with a Radeon 7500 is "ok". Not outstanding, but some of the comments about performance on much faster hardware have began with the prefix "un" and ended on the word "playable", and while it's a far cry from the smoothness of UT2003 (well, usually smooth), none of the levels I tried were unplayably slow. In fairness though, I cut UT2004 down to 800x600 16 bit colour[edit - had said 16 colours - heheh] (I run UT2003 in 1024x768 ), though I think my other options were identical.

I've been fiddling with the settings, and while lowering the stuff to do with character settings and one or two others, and turning off sound in the ut2004.ini file (in Library/Application Data/Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo/System) and increasing CacheSizeMegs to 64, the thing is now reasonably smooth on my 800MHz G4 PowerBook (Radeon 7500), running at the full 1024x768 I run UT2003 on. This is despite using reasonable levels of detail (I even have foliage on.)

The worst frame rate I'm getting is on the assault level, with a minimum of 15fps (consistantly I mean), there's no jerkiness. It's nothing to write home about, but it's not unplayable either.

So I'm happier. I might even buy it, some of the new level types are fun.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
  • Reply 29 of 38
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    FYI: An update is available at macupdate.com. Fixes many bugs.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

FYI: An update is available at macupdate.com. Fixes many bugs.

Does it boost performance? I'm getting 15FPS in Onslught on a standard G5 Single 1.8....
  • Reply 31 of 38
    I went from 54 -> 63 FPS on the same map. What setup do you have? You should be getting much better FPS.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

I went from 54 -> 63 FPS on the same map. What setup do you have? You should be getting much better FPS.

I have a completely stock G5 with a 17" Studio Display. I run it at 960*1280 (so I can keep the native pixel ratio of a flat panel, but render a little bit less), and my settings in UT are mostly Normal, with a couple of settings less, like Textures on Low.

I have SOX installed. Could that be the problem?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    The license plate on the Hellbender doesn't show my name.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    hrmmm I wonder how its going to play on this imac.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

hrmmm I wonder how its going to play on this imac.

Plays like molasses laden shit at the North Pole in January on my 1st Gen 800MHz iMac...
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

I'm getting fantastic FPS in Bridge of Fate, like in the 50s (better than I had EVER gotten in UT2k3, but in ONS-Torlan, I get <20, EVEN WHEN I'M LOOKING AT THE GROUND!
  • Reply 37 of 38
    That map does seem to be slower than the rest. Maybe it just uses more resources than other maps? Ram may be a factor if the vehicles take up more than usual.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:

That map does seem to be slower than the rest. Maybe it just uses more resources than other maps? Ram may be a factor if the vehicles take up more than usual.

Do you know of any UT benchmark sites that list the results of the same computer, with different amounts of RAM? I'm wondering whether getting more RAM will really improve my performcance or not.