Bush : Abstinence-only Sex Education ...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

[BBtw - since Clinton, there has been a HUGE increase in oral sex among teens, especially among young teens - the age-group I teach.

And how did this come about? Well, the Republicans insisted on investigating Clinton for private matters; and details of the investigation were of course reported on the nightly news during family viewing hours. Ergo, millions of kids became interested in finding out about oral sex much earlier than they normally might have. So, the very conservative religious types essentially caused a HUGE increase in what they would probably consider aberrant sexual behavior. Serves them right for being such goody two-shoes. [/B]

Amazing. If only Clinton had been in office when I was in high school....
  • Reply 42 of 61
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

padumdum tssch

• Reply 43 of 61
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

• Reply 44 of 61
    What's your problem with sex ???

Sex is nothing more than pleasure, Love, discovery, self-control, intimacy, learning to give, to receive, fun and laughs... Beauty...!

The only potentially destructive thing is... Love. (But you don't need Sex to be destroyed by Love)

The first time I had sex I was seventeen... but I missed occasions younger. Late fifteen I felt in love with a girl (she was 17) during a classroom trip in Spain. She was with an older guy (18 ! whoa ! - and elderly person ;-) !!!). He was not part of the trip and was far away in France. She was gorgeous, beautiful, sensual... I discovered what a Women (not only a girl) was. We kissed the all week, I kissed her breasts, her all body... a few days more and I should have had sex with her. I didn't because we had to go back home (in France) and she decided she had to go back with that older guy... Bastard !!! ;-)

Abstinence for young persons is dumb. Crazy. Sex should a part of our education and of our experiences.

What else... Sex is good for health (as is masturbation).
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Prevent Teen Pregnancy with BLOWJOBS AND ANAL!

Many a true word spoken in jest: apparently the buzz phrase in (enlightened) sex ed. these days is mutual masturbation.

Not a phrase I expect to ever hear coming out of Bush's mouth.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    After reading this thread, it seems to me that sex ed in the US of A is WAY different from sex ed here.

In class, first off instead of discussing all the bad things about sex, we actually got taught how to have sex. The best ways to pleasure your partner, etc. Then we got taught how it all works, the spermies and the eggs etc. Then we got taught the risks involved (STDs and getting preggers) and how to reduce them (serial monagomy, choosing sexual partners wisely, condoms and other methods of contraceptions). This all covered repeatedly during primary school, high school and senior high school. About 10 weeks of sex ed it each.

It seems to me that it is totally backwards to discuss the consequences of sex without first discussing sex itself. Also, is most of the USA in denial or something? Sex is good, people have sex. Trying to stop that is not a good thing, it's a repressive thing. Then again, that thinking is simply what I was taught at school.

Oh yeah, we've got the same approach in Australia towards drugs and alcohol too. How to do it, what's good about it, how it works, the risks involved, how to reduce the risks. Hint: reducing the risks doesn't mean "don't do it"

Barto
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

After reading this thread, it seems to me that sex ed in the US of A is WAY different from sex ed here.

In class, first off instead of discussing all the bad things about sex, we actually got taught how to have sex. The best ways to pleasure your partner, etc. Then we got taught how it all works, the spermies and the eggs etc. Then we got taught the risks involved (STDs and getting preggers) and how to reduce them (serial monagomy, choosing sexual partners wisely, condoms and other methods of contraceptions). This all covered repeatedly during primary school, high school and senior high school. About 10 weeks of sex ed it each.

It seems to me that it is totally backwards to discuss the consequences of sex without first discussing sex itself. Also, is most of the USA in denial or something? Sex is good, people have sex. Trying to stop that is not a good thing, it's a repressive thing. Then again, that thinking is simply what I was taught at school.

Oh yeah, we've got the same approach in Australia towards drugs and alcohol too. How to do it, what's good about it, how it works, the risks involved, how to reduce the risks. Hint: reducing the risks doesn't mean "don't do it"

Barto

After reading your post, I feel like I've had it with America and its religious conservatives. You have no idea what it's like here. In a million years, American public schools would not teach how to pleasure your partner. Of course, maybe sex ed. is a lot different in the senior highs here; but I doubt it.

And it's ALL because of those ****ing Puritans, whose influence has been carried down to the present by the holier-than-thou, eyebrows-raised, sexually repressed religious right. Can you imagine teaching sex ed. from a script, because some parents are so terrified that their child will actually hear the 'real' facts about sex. It literally makes me sick to my stomach - and extremely angry.

There's so much hypocrisy here. I'm SO sick of it. You just have NO idea.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    I think that we take sex way to seriously here in the US of A. We teach kids to be afraid of it, to fear it, we teach them that it is bad, it is dirty, and it's wrong. We teach them that the human body is something that should always remain covered up as much as possible.

All wrong.

Sex is an amazing thing, it is beautiful, it is quite possibly one of the most amazing experiences that one will have in their lifetime. (Note: This isn't spoken from experience, I'm abstinent by choice). There is nothing more right than sex, but only in the right way. I don't think it's right for people to have sex before they are married, I don't think it's right for kids as young as 11 and 12 years old to be having sex...but that doesn't mean I condemn.

The human body is the most beautiful thing, it's amazing what God has created (that's only what I believe, lets keep the thread OT here ) There is nothing more amazing and awesome than the beauty of a human...and it's sad that we teach kids that everything should remain covered up all the time. I'm all for a little nudity! Everyone take their clothes off, we're having a party in AO tonight!!!

But in all seriousness, sex ed is messed up majorly. I believe in the teaching of abstinence, but I also believe that we need to teach kids about contraceptives too, because not everyone chooses abstinence as their lifestyle. We need to really educate kids about sex and the human body, not just try to scare them away from it.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Yeah, I agree DMB. It's just that the President favors abstinence-only sex education. I guess you could see how that's a problem.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    What makes me so angry is that just a FEW people control what affects thousands of others. They essentially foist their beliefs upon everyone else.

How does this happen? Each school district in my state makes choices like 'what's taught in sex-ed' for itself. The district does this by setting up a committee of a few teachers, administrators, and some parents.

WHO are the parents? You can bet your bottom dollar they are right-wing conservatives, because they will make SURE that they compose the whole 'parent' contingent on the committee. The district is just glad to get parent participation, and accepts anybody who volunteers.

Then they all sit down to decide what gets taught. I can guarantee what will be taught in sex ed. will be ONLY what is acceptable to these religious-right individuals. If a conflict arises, they will threaten to sue. I can see it all now.

The student will learn what part goes in what other part, and how conception occurs. The concept of 'pleasure' will be avoided at all costs, lest it encourage actual sex! Heaven forbid!

These people are not content to control the education of their OWN children, which is perfectly within their rights. But they take it upon themselves to control the sex education of everyone else's children as well!! That's what makes me furious. That's how Puritanism seeks to put its icy fingers around the hearts and souls of as many Americans as it can.

This makes me so angry that I can't even talk about it anymore.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

What makes me so angry is that just a FEW people control what affects thousands of others. They essentially foist their beliefs upon everyone else.

How does this happen? Each school district in my state makes choices like 'what's taught in sex-ed' for itself. The district does this by setting up a committee of a few teachers, administrators, and some parents.

WHO are the parents? You can bet your bottom dollar they are right-wing conservatives, because they will make SURE that they compose the whole 'parent' contingent on the committee. The district is just glad to get parent participation, and accepts anybody who volunteers.

Then they all sit down to decide what gets taught. I can guarantee what will be taught in sex ed. will be ONLY what is acceptable to these religious-right individuals. If a conflict arises, they will threaten to sue. I can see it all now.

The student will learn what part goes in what other part, and how conception occurs. The concept of 'pleasure' will be avoided at all costs, lest it encourage actual sex! Heaven forbid!

These people are not content to control the education of their OWN children, which is perfectly within their rights. But they take it upon themselves to control the sex education of everyone else's children as well!! That's what makes me furious. That's how Puritanism seeks to put its icy fingers around the hearts and souls of as many Americans as it can.

This makes me so angry that I can't even talk about it anymore.

Then let's start the Fvcking for Freedom campaign.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

That will only create a counter movement called freedom from ****ing. They will always have more resources than you.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

That will only create a counter movement called freedom from ****ing. They will always have more resources than you.

Yeah but it will be good whoresome fun.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

i agree totally...as a parent of two teenagers, i hope they wait as long as possible...yet, at the same time, i of course discuss (well, mostly my wife does) sex and protection to them...almost all the kids in our neighborhood who have gotten pregnant as teens are the catholic kids who get the abstinence only talk...(we are in New Mexico with a large catholic population...obviously getting larger with each 15 year old getting pregnant)...we easily see the failure of abstinence only education...

g

lol. In my country it is quite opposite. It's the slutty protestants that end up pregnant.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Where do I sign up?
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

Where do I sign up?

Females only and the line starts at my apartment door.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Come on, BR. You can't possibly take THAT much freedom, can you? Share it around!

I say we get as many people together in the reflecting pool in Washington DC and have a massive orgy, in protest of... eh, doesn't even matter what, we're fvcking for freedom!
  • Reply 58 of 61
    I'm so in!!!

But we have to have an audition process first. We don't want no ugly people in our orgy.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I'm so in!!!

But we have to have an audition process first. We don't want no fat chicks in our orgy.

FIXD

• Reply 60 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

FIXD

HAH! Exactly. That and we'll also have to have a stand where we can hand out paper bags for the aesthetically challenged.