Starting to think there will be no G5 at MWSF....or even faster G4's!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I am beginning to think that G5's or faster Powermacs at MWSF are not going to be a reality.

First we have the display promo that Apple curiously lengthened another month. Second, go to the Apple Store and all the iMacs and iBooks (standard config even) are at 7 day ship times. All the Powermacs are still at 3 day ship times. This is a week out folks, Apple does not want a pro customer dropping $3500 on a machine that will be updated in a week.

We are now getting reports that the iMac and iBook channel is quite dry...yet there isn't any mention of Powermacs?!?

If the past regarding Powermacs and Macworlds is any form of reference, they are usually on a 10 day ship time by now.

In the sense of Apple's re-newed focus on NOT being so predictable with their product cycles, I am beginning to think that a "Special Event" for the announcement of the Powermac G5 will be coming within a month of MWSF ending. Also remember that MWTK this year was bumped back a month, it's in March.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>Apple does not want a pro customer dropping $3500 on a machine that will be updated in a week.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ummm...yes they do. Why would they care? They're still making money. It's only the buyer who'd feel like an idiot after seeing the new things.

--Alexis
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Plus I've seen sale adds for all I-book configs, and I believe some I-mac sales-but none for PowerMacs.

But if Apple doesn't even offer a g4 speed bump you'd think they'd at least have to demo the g5. On the other hand if they did that who'd buy a g4 between now and whatever ship date they announce for a G5? On the other other hand if they just inserted faster processors in the g4 (no other changes) and announce the imminent g5 (coming later this year) people would still buy the + gig g4s and not complain too much about the lack of other improvements, knowing a completely new computer was in the wings.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Bodhi , you may be right, but then that would mean the iMac will definitly be less of an impact.

Without @ least bumping the powermacs and I think adding DDRsdram the iMac will continue to sport similar cpu's in the current line, flat panel or not. This alone would be a downer for the iMac.

I also don't think the G5 will debut in a computer until the 2nd half of 2002. I don't think this will be as such a big deal as people are making it out to be. The Apollo should be a very nice chip and with DDRsdram and maybe a modest improvement should easily hold Apple until the G5.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Its possible that Apple is busying hyping something else and they don't want the distraction of updating the PowerMacs at the same time. This would give them more time to finish the next generation PowerMac. It would be weird to not have any update, however, especially since we know Apollo is ready and earmarked for consumer level machines.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    If SJ walks off the stage without unvailing a new PM G4 or G5 (especially after they hype they've created around the expo) I think many Mac users will be calling for Blood! Afterall it's been 6 months (years in computer time) since the PM has been updated & everyone's expecting the update. I don't think SJ wants to dissapoint everyone like that.

In addition to this, I want to buy a new PM so one has to come out! . I'll just have to call in a personal favor from SJ to ensure it
  • Reply 6 of 31
    I hope that you are right Programmer!!!

This could explain the extended promo on the G4, and gives us a little hope to see the G5 in a near future during a special event or the MWtokyo.

I'd rather not see improved G4 and wait a little more to see a brand new PowerMac line .
  • Reply 6 of 31
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by Alexis:

<strong>quote:

Originally posted by Bodhi:

Apple does not want a pro customer dropping $3500 on a machine that will be updated in a week.

Ummm...yes they do. Why would they care? They're still making money.</strong><hr></blockquote>In fact, that's EXACTLY what they want. It's much better than having to drop the price and sell it for cheaper. And then they get a customer who will have to upgrade faster.

Anyway, Bodhi's evidence is good.

Here's a scenario: maybe they're stockpiling the Apollos for the iMac. I've been guessing that they'll use a G3 in the iMac, but who knows? Maybe they'll go into an upgraded PowerBook and an iMac, and they've been focusing on getting those out the door. Then they'll wait for the G5 in a couple months to upgrade the PowerMacs.

If iMac and/or PowerBook = Apollo, then no PowerMac upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    I think the PowerMac G5 might be announced, but not officially available till June or so, and new PowerMac G4s with DDR RAM and perhaps a Radeon 8500 will keep the pros satisfied in the meantime.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    iMac and PowerBook with better processors than their pro desktops. I don't think so. That's more preposterous than G6 comming out next week.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Problem with not updating the PMs is that we know the iMac is being updated. Its at 700MHz now. So if they were gonna stick a 1 GHz or 933 MHz Apollo in there, what are they gonna do with the PowerMacs?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>Well, I am beginning to think that G5's or faster Powermacs at MWSF are not going to be a reality.

First we have the display promo that Apple curiously lengthened another month. Second, go to the Apple Store and all the iMacs and iBooks (standard config even) are at 7 day ship times. All the Powermacs are still at 3 day ship times. This is a week out folks, Apple does not want a pro customer dropping $3500 on a machine that will be updated in a week.

We are now getting reports that the iMac and iBook channel is quite dry...yet there isn't any mention of Powermacs?!?

If the past regarding Powermacs and Macworlds is any form of reference, they are usually on a 10 day ship time by now.

In the sense of Apple's re-newed focus on NOT being so predictable with their product cycles, I am beginning to think that a "Special Event" for the announcement of the Powermac G5 will be coming within a month of MWSF ending. Also remember that MWTK this year was bumped back a month, it's in March.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

all this means is that PowerMac demand is no where to be seen and Apple can't move machines. that's why there is only a 3 day wait and that's why they extended the promo. the promo only applies to those machines os they are safe to release new ones
  • Reply 12 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by catalyst:

<strong>I think the PowerMac G5 might be announced, but not officially available till June or so, and new PowerMac G4s with DDR RAM and perhaps a Radeon 8500 will keep the pros satisfied in the meantime.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They wouldn't annouce the G5 shipping in June & then release a new G4. That'd totally kill sales. They announced the iMac way ahead of time but that's only because they had nothing in that space to compete with (they had already discontinued the Performa, leaving no consumer offering, therefore it didn't eat into sales).
  • Reply 13 of 31
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by Alexis:

<strong>

Ummm...yes they do. Why would they care? They're still making money. It's only the buyer who'd feel like an idiot after seeing the new things.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>iMac and PowerBook with better processors than their pro desktops. I don't think so. That's more preposterous than G6 comming out next week.</strong><hr></blockquote>Why do you say "better?" An Apollo isn't better, just cooler at the same Mhz, and more scalable. If the high-end iMac goes to 700 or 733 G4 (and same with the PowerBook), they wouldn't be "better" than the Pro Desktops.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Maybe the apollos were made for another range apart from the iMac and PowerMac. This would mean the come back of the Cube in one form or another.

Think about it, the reason why the Cube was expensive was because it used a processor that competed with the pro-line in a consumer model. If the apollo was put in the Cube, the 750FX G3 in the iMac, and the G5 in the PowerMac, prices wouldn't be as sky-high as they were, but the PMs would be more expensive (because of the new chip). This would split the range nicely, adding flexability to buying a mac.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    I don't think so. The promotion applies only to specific models. They may use this to clear out older models as the new models probably won't start shipping till february, or much later than anything else introduced there.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Why do you say "better?" An Apollo isn't better, just cooler at the same Mhz, and more scalable. If the high-end iMac goes to 700 or 733 G4 (and same with the PowerBook), they wouldn't be "better" than the Pro Desktops.

Running cooler IS better. It's how you bump up the MHz on a processor. The Apollo will scale to higher speeds than the 7450. Therefore it's better. I don't think that the 7450 will ever be offered at over 867MHz. The 7460 will start at that or higher.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    It's also possible that the G4 Powermacs will remain, being speed bumped a bit, and Apple will add a Powermac G5 line.

If they dropped the prices on the G4 towers, and made the G5 towers cost a bit more than the current towers, but gave them more features, then this could potentially be an excellent lineup. The G5s really would be for pros, and the G4 towers would compete better with all the 999 Wintel towers out there.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Power Macs are just speed bumped quietly. It sounds like G5s aren't ready. I would rather have a quiet move now likely meaning a bigger announcement sooner than later (March?). The alternative is a lot of hoopla over a big G4 jump meaning no big G5 thing any time soon (May at best -- WWDC).
  • Reply 20 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>It's also possible that the G4 Powermacs will remain, being speed bumped a bit, and Apple will add a Powermac G5 line.

If they dropped the prices on the G4 towers, and made the G5 towers cost a bit more than the current towers, but gave them more features, then this could potentially be an excellent lineup. The G5s really would be for pros, and the G4 towers would compete better with all the 999 Wintel towers out there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It would be nice if Apple offered a mid range computer, maybe one with only 1 or 2 PCI slots priced at around $1199. That'd help to compete on the low end with PC towers (iMac can't compete for most since you can't upgrade it's video card & no PCI slots). It'd be a great machine for Mac Gamers (all 5 of us ) & others who find the $1699 entry level PM to expensive to justify (for say a home computer), people who just can't afford $1699 (but need some expandability, no choice but to get a PC).

That said I doubt it'll happen. Perhpas as some speculate the new iMac will be 2 pieces. If this is the case hopefully it'll have a removable AGP card (unlike the iMac). That would help satisfy the gaming comunity at least.