Laptop or Desktop for college

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    No reason to spend close to three grand on a notebook for school... Maybe a 12 or 15" Powerbook? Then again, you can get an iBook G4 with an Airport Extreme card for about $1200 and have a bunch of $$ left over. My thought behind getting an iBook is that it would more than meet your needs at school without breaking the bank. Ya want something you can toss in your backpack and feel comfortable carrying around... but not something that you're going to be kicking yourself in the backside about if you lose it or it gets stolen. Plus... it's so much cheaper... if you decide you need more power a year down the road... you can always sell it and upgrade (probably still totalling less than $3,000 for the two... even before you count what you might sell the first one for).

I read an earlier comment from someone saying they wouldn't spend less then $2,000 on a notebook because of too many compromises... The basic iBook: 800MHz G4, combo drive, firewire, USB 2.0, longest battery life of any notebook (I believe... someone correct me if I'm mistaken on that one), airport extreme ready (ya have to buy the card and install it)... where's the compromise there?
  • Reply 22 of 37
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I have a ghz tibook and a 900 mhz G3 ibook. I enjoy using the ibook much more.

My next machine will probably be a nice G4 ibook.

Oh, and a laptop is a must.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

If you're going to UNC, you'll find a nice community of Mac users and plenty of wireless options. Same at Duke. I can't speak for NCSU, but Brad could.

Again, I can't stress how much a laptop is worth it to me in my studies. I don't play many games on my computer but I use it everywhere, especially with wifi proliferating around many campuses.

Ayup. I'm at UNC, and WiFi is ubiquitous here (the bleedover from Battle Hall even gets you access in the first two booths in the front of Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe. ). And the local Mac group is pretty darned good. themug.org for more info.

I am rarely without my laptop for more than a few hours, between WiFi on campus and DSL at home. It's actually kind of sad, to tell you the truth.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

I read an earlier comment from someone saying they wouldn't spend less then $2,000 on a notebook because of too many compromises... The basic iBook: 800MHz G4, combo drive, firewire, USB 2.0, longest battery life of any notebook (I believe... someone correct me if I'm mistaken on that one), airport extreme ready (ya have to buy the card and install it)... where's the compromise there?

That was me. Here are the compromises as I see it:

1. Low RAM ceiling of 640 MB unless you want to spend hundreds on a 1 GB RAM module. 640 MB is okay but 1 GB would be very future-proof.

2. 800 MHz processor. It's sufficient now, but it won't last as long before it starts to feel slow.

3. 4200 RPM hard drive with no option for a faster one. This is the kicker. I had a 1 GHz eMac for a while and it was a whole lot faster than the iBook, even though it only had 200 MHz on the laptop. In fact, even when it was saddled with only 128 MB of RAM, it was still faster than the iBook. That says a lot. Since low RAM makes the hard drive work more, it shows how much a fast 7200 RPM hard drive will help.

4. Screen size. You can get used to a 12" screen after a while, but it's still small however you look at it.

5. Ergonomics. I prefer a desktop over a laptop simply because of the superior ergonomics of a desktop. If I were to get another laptop, I would also need to have a stand, an external keyboard, and a mouse. The built-in keyboard is fine when you're on the go, but not when you're at a desk. The palm rests get hot and the edge of the laptop slowly digs into your wrists over time. Plus the lack of a numeric keypad gets annoying after a while.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't get a laptop. I'm merely listing my reasons for getting a desktop instead. If I had $2000 to spend, I'd certainly go for a laptop. But if you're on a budget, don't get a consumer laptop. Get a pro-level desktop. I've always preferred Apple's pro line to their iStuff line. It's higher quality. I have a PowerMac from 2000 that I like more than both the iBook from 2002 and the eMac from 2003 I have used.

EDIT: If you're going to college, you might want to get MS Word. You can probably get it really cheap from your school (I got a free copy). That's the only non-free application I can think of that you might need, except for specialized ones for your field (Illustrator/Photoshop for graphic design, PowerPoint for rhetoric, Mathematica, etc).
  • Reply 25 of 37
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I think the real key here is what you plan on using the machine for. If it's going to be gaming... then you're going to need more power... you're looking at a high-end Powerbook with lots of memory. If you're going to be downloading MP3 files, doing papers for school, burning CDs, it seems silly to me get something high end now that you will not likely fully utilize anytime soon. The speed of the hard drive is really only an issue if you're doing something that's drive access intensive. Granted, there's going to be some disk swapping with the standard 256MB of memory... but that can greatly be reduced by adding an additional 512MB. I don't really see a cap of 640MB being much of a problem either. An 800MHz can hold it's own now for all of the above uses and will likely do the same for some time to come. It will handle playing DVDs perfectly happily. So many people get the "more is better, bigger is better, faster is better" bug. That's why people will go out and buy a 40GB MP3 player and never put more than a gig on it.. and not even know they can store other stuff on it. Or why people will go out an buy a 3GHz P4 desktop system... with a 250GB hard drive, an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, a GB of memory, and a DVD/RW when all they want to do is get online to use AOL.

It's nice to get the best, but that's not what everyone needs. Pretty much the only time you'll need those high end systems is when you're in the graphic arts field and need to use CAD or some video/photo apps or if you're an avid gammer. Everyone else will be perfectly happy with something less powerful.

Lets face it... with the G5 being the possible exception, all of the high end G4 processors lag behind the high end Pentium 4 processors by quite a significant margin. There's lots more hardware out there for PCs also. You get a Mac for the whole experience.. because you can "Think Different"... or, in other words... you can think for yourself. You don't walk into a store with drool coming down your chin telling the sales rep "I wanna puter". You buy a Mac because the whole package outweighs the negligable benefits of having a PC with faster numbers.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Preach on, brutha.

Determine your *needs* before you decide on the *speeds*.

I'm a CompSci PhD student. So of *course* I went for the top of the line, right?

Nuh-uh. 15" 1.2GHz PowerBook.

I don't play games (much).

I don't do numerical modeling.

I don't do live video editing.

I don't do PhotoShop edits with 57 gazillion layers.

I write code, I compile code, I run code, I edit LaTeX, I produce PDFs.

I *almost* went with an iBook, but decided I wanted the 15" screen, the ability to burn DVD-Rs from time to time and (yes, I'll admit this one) the backlit keyboard made me drool.

The drive speed in my experience isn't a limiting factor. It certainly isn't as big a factor in day to day speed as the *bus* is... and that is a huge difference between laptops and desktops now.

But then, if I need raw crunching speed, I submit a job to the Xserve cluster in the next lab over.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I would suggest the 15 inch powerbook. If you're like most students you're not going to carry the thing thing around with you everywhere you go. However if you need to do a presentation or wanted to bring it to the library or coffee shop then you have the option. It's light weight, but nice screen and specs just make it perfect especially if you have three grand to spend on it. It's also easier to bring home when you wanna see mom and dad.

My major suggestion would be to get a lock for the thing. Last thing you need is 20 people in your room one night pounding down beers, and then wake up the next morning without your $3000 laptop.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Laptop

Laptop

Laptop

Laptop

Laptop

Convenience is the big thing and space is key. Don't forget to spend some money on a chain to lock your laptop to something sturdy.

Hold off as long as possible for a PB refresh. Buy from your local campus computer store if they sell Apple, else buy online and get the student discount.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Ayup. I'm at UNC, and WiFi is ubiquitous here (the bleedover from Battle Hall even gets you access in the first two booths in the front of Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe. ). And the local Mac group is pretty darned good. themug.org for more info.

I am rarely without my laptop for more than a few hours, between WiFi on campus and DSL at home. It's actually kind of sad, to tell you the truth.

Had a quick look on the site and I have to say this is another reason why I'm hoping I get into UNC. I've also applied to Duke so it's good to know I'd be covered there, but I'm not sure about my other options (Columbia, UVa, UMiami, Lehigh). Anyone attend/attended any of those and know about the mac community presence?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    A major factor in my choice of a 12" was portability. I know that a 15" isn't that much heavier, and the weight isn't something I care quite so much about (as long as it's under six pounds or so, I'm fine). However, 12" fits nicely into my backpack the long way, so it's easier to pull right out of the sleeve and use. That's just nice, but 15" would be inconvenient in my backpack.

And more importantly, at least at my university, the "desks" for most classrooms (not to mention lecture halls) are barely wide enough for my 12" iBook. A 15" would be way over the edges.

Luca,

About the low RAM ceiling of the iBook: By the time I need 1 GB, the 1 GB SO-DIMMS [i[will[/i] be cheaper, almost guaranteed. When I first bought my last computer, a Rev. D iMac, the low-profile 256 MB SO-DIMM was about $400. I bought it a little over a year later for about $100.

I also have a full desktop setup at home. I just plug a USB cable, and I have my full-size keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, etc.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Wow, thanks for the replies guys.

Re Needs/Speeds: Listening to Music, Writing Papers, Gaming, DVD watching. In that order. I'm planning to dual major in International Studies and Political Science, so I'm not going to be number crunching anytime soon. I have over 5,000 songs on internal storage on my iMac DV and that is an absolute must have to transfer over to any computer I'm going to buy. Writing papers: My old G3 Powerbook does it fine, so I'm obviously clear on that. Gaming: I have two stipulations: It needs to run Warcraft III and any recent Quake3 based game properly (i.e. RtCW, MoH:AA, Call of Duty.)

I've considered keeping the old G3 to lug around campus and get a decent, but not over-the-top desktop for everything else. The only thing that bugs me is that if I do go for a new notebook (with a 5400 RPM drive) I'm probably going to put my music on a faster external Firewire drive, which essentially defeats the purpose of portability. Then again I do have an iPod...

Choices, choices, choices...

Also, how's college life in general? I'm a college n00b, having only visited two so far. I think I've gotten a feel for what it's like, but I'd also like to hear your opinions.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    nm.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    No desktop, no question. Laptops are best for security reasons -- you can hide it or lock it up easily. Your G3 will probably do OK for most things, and you can buy new keyboards for it if you look around (they wear out).

No way would I have a decent desktop computer in a dorm room. No way -- too risky.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Also, how's college life in general? I'm a college n00b, having only visited two so far. I think I've gotten a feel for what it's like, but I'd also like to hear your opinions.

I'm not sure why you would need to put your songs on an external drive (other than an iPod, that is) since the internal PB drive would be plenty fast enough. What are you going to do with them anyway? Listen to them extra fast?

My advice would be to wait, spend some time getting adjusted to your classes and workload and then make a decision on which computer to get.

There's a lot of partying to accomplish during college. Just be sure to work out an effective time management schedule and get used to the idea of reading a lot.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by your_ad_here

...The real concern for me at the moment is whether the uni I attend will have a decent mac userbase, because I don't really want to have struggle with lecturers asking for windows formatted files (though I am studying architecture so hopefully that will increase the chances of having a mac-compatible course!)...

Well, the good news is that any files a lecturer would ask for would probably be an Office formated document. The bad news is that many architecture schools in the US use AutoCad, which requires a PC. Of course, if you are familiar with a different CAD program already or willing to learn one, then you could easily use a Mac.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

You might want to start a new thread in AO on this, it's kind of a general question. What do you want to know about? Parties? chicks? classes/work? roommates? Again, i'd suggest a new topic for all that.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Wow, thanks for the replies guys.

Re Needs/Speeds: Listening to Music, Writing Papers, Gaming, DVD watching. In that order. I'm planning to dual major in International Studies and Political Science, so I'm not going to be number crunching anytime soon. I have over 5,000 songs on internal storage on my iMac DV and that is an absolute must have to transfer over to any computer I'm going to buy. Writing papers: My old G3 Powerbook does it fine, so I'm obviously clear on that. Gaming: I have two stipulations: It needs to run Warcraft III and any recent Quake3 based game properly (i.e. RtCW, MoH:AA, Call of Duty.)

the 15" has more VRAM and heftier GPU than the iBook G4, so for the gaming you've described it'd win,

but obviously a desktop offers heftier options, plus the ability to upgrade gfx card later.

I think there's a difference between spec whore fps based decisions, and actual observation of lag or limited textures or real issues that bug you, but if the comparative difference between iBook, Al15, and Tower gameplay isn't significant (maybe you can find a dealer with each and ask for a demo, or check reviews) then the 15" might be the sweet spot due to the issues above, extra screen real estate vs iBook G4 and portability vs. desktop.

Quote:

I've considered keeping the old G3 to lug around campus and get a decent, but not over-the-top desktop for everything else. The only thing that bugs me is that if I do go for a new notebook (with a 5400 RPM drive) I'm probably going to put my music on a faster external Firewire drive, which essentially defeats the purpose of portability. Then again I do have an iPod...

what makes you think you need a faster drive for music?

does your iPod with its slower drive somehow fail to keep up? do songs lag?

you do know they used to make vinyl at 16/33/45/78 RPM right

If you're doing non-linear editing, capturing or moving massive quantities of DV or data at once... sure,

but there is no reason why a 5400 RPM drive would be required, or even 7200 just to listen to music,

except that read and write transfers would be slightly faster.

Burning/ripping speed will have more to do with the optical drive speed than HDD RPM, so if you were planning to re-import your CD library instead of moving it via FW Combo-vs-Super might matter, but again, the real world advantage of burning 4.7 Gb DVDs probably outweighs the race to burn faster

Just like real world graphics card performance, if you can't spot the difference...

try and get the best bang for your buck instead of overkill budget urges.

Unless you empty and fill the drive regularly, RPM differences may not be worth the premium.

YMMV.

For what you've described, maxing out a 15" with RAM (and lit kb) sounds like a choice I'd suggest

add a camera, lock, bag, extra battery, Airport Extreme Base Station, maybe BT mouse and kb

(so you can run lid closed and use a larger external screen if desired)

but of course, by the time you're ready, the product matrix may have changed.

Quote:

Also, how's college life in general? I'm a college n00b, having only visited two so far. I think I've gotten a feel for what it's like, but I'd also like to hear your opinions. [/B]