Scientist (including 20 Nobel Laureates) say BUSH admin distorting science

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Why is anybody surprised at this? I mean Bush only hearing what he wants to hear? Sounds like business as usual to me.

Way back when I was in high school I had to do a report on our president then Richard Nixon. The report was on his research panel for the effects of certain drugs ( marijuana ).

Now where ever you stand on this issue today I'm assuming you want good science and hard evidence.

Well in doing reseach for my report I found that Mr. Nixon had several panels on this subject over the years ( this would have been 71' so he'd been in office for awhile ). It turns out that up until that time marijuana had been the most researched drug in history and that Nixon had repeatedly fired a series of panels until he got one that could list negative side effects for this drug. All the other panels couldn't find any serious negative side effects. This last panel's results were later invalidated due to their slipshod methods.

Like I said where ever you stand on this issue you want the truth right?

Sounds like things haven't changed much.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    One more thing. About the mantra that's becoming quite common here " It's another Bush hate thread ". Did it ever occur to these people that maybe there's good reason to say negative things about Bush and even hold some animosity in your heart toward him?
  • Reply 23 of 49
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

...biased left-wing propaganda...'just another anti-Bush thread'...

I never made either of those two claims.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

One more thing. About the mantra that's becoming quite common here " It's another Bush hate thread ". Did it ever occur to these people that maybe there's good reason to say negative things about Bush and even hold some animosity in your heart toward him?

I fully realize there is justified animosity towards Bush, and I myself will not be voting for him on election day. That said, does all the constant daily discussion about everything negative Bush has done serve any positive purpose for those who partake? Is it reassuring in any way? I mean, by all means discuss topics at hand, but it's to the point of there being 2 new threads a day about this. At what point do even the anti-Bush (not meant to be negative) people get tired of talking about him?
  • Reply 25 of 49
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I fully realize there is justified animosity towards Bush, and I myself will not be voting for him on election day. That said, does all the constant daily discussion about everything negative Bush has done serve any positive purpose for those who partake? Is it reassuring in any way? I mean, by all means discuss topics at hand, but it's to the point of there being 2 new threads a day about this. At what point do even the anti-Bush (not meant to be negative) people get tired of talking about him?

I was tired of talking about him a loooong time ago

as for why?

= to lift those tired lids of veiled dillusion that keeps people from seeing what becomes clearer and clearer everyday!!

: the Emperor is naked

and look here, I am surprisingly conservative with regards to many things . . .I don't consider myself a card carrying 'Liberal' (though most of my ideas do tend to fall in that direction) I simply get pissed that we, as a country, are getting railroaded into the gutter by a spoiled, mediocre, rich kid with a charming personality and some stubborn and very bad ideas.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    And I intentionally avoid using phrases like "card carrying liberal" and "republican blinders" because I am aware that support/dissension do not run straight down party lines. But those blanket claims are leveled too often in AO, and it's annoying.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Rageous--

You make some excellent points.

My feeling is that being very explicit about the things going on with the Bush administration is a response to the "veil of ignorance" that settled over America post 9/11. Suddenly, a man who seemed to many to be a trivial figure, who had "won" the election through dubious means, was lionized as Churchill reincarnate.

And it just went on and on, with the crude political maniputlaions of Karl Rove and company somehow morphing into a steady hand on the tiller of state, driving terrorists form our shores and showing the world that we would not be bullied.

The preemptive invasion of Iraq was just the most egregious chapter in what has seemed to be a mass delusional state brought on by manipulated feelings of wounded pride and anxiety.

Remember, many of us have been called traitors, fools, and dupes for strenuously arguing for a world view that has turned out to be largely correct.

So now that the veil seems to have lifted a bit, and the press seems to be willing to challange some of the weirdly reality free stuff that comes out of this white house, can you blame us for wanting to parade it around a bit?

We're like a person who kept telling everybody that the man next door was very sinister and did scary things at night. After enduring years of patronizing stares and outright hostility, come to find out the guy was running a meth lab and selling it to the neigborhood kids. Kinda makes you want to get your "Blow me, I was right all along" T-shirt out.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

In case people don't know or haven't heard we need to remind them of these things until election day. The strange thing I've been seeing is that some people think these actions by Bush are ok and that they could live with them.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    This is excellent news (that such a respected body of scientists wrote a non-partisan, scathing letter like this and made it publicly known). I guess it takes 20 Nobel winners on the panel to keep someone from saying "turn off your brain".

PS - after a six day hiatus, I missed you guys. Damn DNS problems...
  • Reply 30 of 49
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I was wondering where you went, Moogs.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Seriously, the run-around with Comcast (though I cannot say if the problem was theirs technically) was getting so old after six days I was contemplating the possibility that if it didn't get fixed I was going to have to permanently alter my web habits.

• Reply 32 of 49
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

In case people don't know or haven't heard we need to remind them of these things until election day. The strange thing I've been seeing is that some people think these actions by Bush are ok and that they could live with them.

• Reply 33 of 49
    pfflam,

Where you going to say something?
  • Reply 34 of 49
    He was going to say that there's no accounting for why some people continue to support George. I am heading to Montana in a few weeks to hang out with a couple good friends of mine, one of whom has a Father that is more die-hard GOP than any single person you've ever encountered on this board... I'm just trying to imagine his rationalizations when this stuff starts coming up in conversation.

Democrat Conspiracy! Clinton paid off the Nobelists 18 months ago in a secret board meeting in Oshkosh! Misprint: it was really only 2 Nobelists, not 20!

• Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

He was going to say that there's no accounting for why some people continue to support George. I am heading to Montana in a few weeks to hang out with a couple good friends of mine, one of whom has a Father that is more die-hard GOP than any single person you've ever encountered on this board... I'm just trying to imagine his rationalizations when this stuff starts coming up in conversation.

Democrat Conspiracy! Clinton paid off the Nobelists 18 months ago in a secret board meeting in Oshkosh! Misprint: it was really only 2 Nobelists, not 20!

Yeah I have a female friend who's a staunch Bush supporter. We don't talk about politics too much. If we do I've always found with her the winner of the debate has the most volume as opposed to the most logic.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    ^

^

^

Punt! (because it needs to be seen)

And jimmac, I think we agree that sometimes it's best just to say "uncle" and enjoy their company rather than watch them go insane when (for kicks) you compare Bush's lies / mistakes with Clinton's. If I did that to this guy, I might not ever get back here to tell the tale...

• Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

^

^

^

Punt! (because it needs to be seen)

And jimmac, I think we agree that sometimes it's best just to say "uncle" and enjoy their company rather than watch them go insane when (for kicks) you compare Bush's lies / mistakes with Clinton's. If I did that to this guy, I might not ever get back here to tell the tale...

In the case of female friends you've got it in a nutshell ( pun intended ).
  • Reply 38 of 49
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    the nobel prize means nothing anymore!!!

the fact that jimmy carter won takes all honor and dignity from what was once a lofty and esteemed group of the worlds most intelegent, however jimmy carter raises issues with the awards integrity
  • Reply 39 of 49
  • Reply 40 of 49
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

the nobel prize means nothing anymore!!!

the fact that jimmy carter won takes all honor and dignity from what was once a lofty and esteemed group of the worlds most intelegent, however jimmy carter raises issues with the awards integrity

Care to explain yourself, or just troll?