What happened to Zoom Window???

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'm almost certain that Steve is either a program, or a student conducting some type of psychology experiment.

I just can't see any normal person behaving the way he does and actually MEANING it.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    piwozniak, If you follow the thread carefully, you'll see stevegongrui was indeed talking about Panther's Finder's lacking a Zoom window menu item regardless of what he said in your quote.

stevegongrui

--

how do I zoom window in panther? there used to be a zoom window under the window menu in jaguar. It is no longer there.

I want to make a window in finder fill the entire screen without having to drag it large.

--

piwozniak

--

1. It's still there...

2. Green dot in upper left corner (+)

--

That answer was based on you not reading the actual question, so he said:

stevegongrui

--

1. No it's not (The Zoom menu item is not in the Panther Finder's Window menu)

2. the green button is to size it according to contents. If you try pressing it, it does not put the window to full view. (ie. is sporadic) Moot answer, but he's clarifying why that isn't the same to him

--

<Bunch of people start arguing over what the green widget does, getting further from answering his question still...Steve restates the problem again>

stevegongrui

--

No he's not.

In Jaguar in FINDER in the Window menu there was "zoom window" and what it did was maximise ala windows.

Don't believe me? Check it out on a Jaguar machine

--

<More distraction ensues. PB comes to the rescue to effectively say Jaguar does indeed have a Zoom menu item in the Window menu and it does maximize, unlike in Panther.>

<piwozniak posts image of Safari with Zoom menu, again, not the issue.>

<lots of back and forthing about window spacing/sizing and personalities....>

DING! Bottom line: Steve was right. And there is no solution to restore the Zoom functionality to Panther.

Good night all!
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

DING! Bottom line: Steve was right. And there is no solution to restore the Zoom functionality to Panther.

Wrong wrong wrong... \

This whole complaint has been based on misinformation.

Since the 80s, the zoom button's functionality has been to toggle between a user-set size and the fitted size. This functionality was partly lost in the transition to Mac OS X as apps like the Finder were rewritten from scratch and developers were playing catch-up with the more minor features like this.

Read what Kickaha said. Finder in Jaguar was broken. It's been fixed now, at least, for icon mode.

It has never been proper for Mac apps to use the zoom button to maximize windows to fill the screen.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Brad Brad Brad

Sorry, we are talking about:

The Finder in Panther no longer has a Zoom menu item in its Window menu as it once had in Jaguar.

Attention everyone: Steve's original concern was the above and not anything to do with the green widget's functionality, nor what Zoom as a Finder menu item ought to do to windows.

Yes he was derailed into discussing those things but I assure you, based on what I outline in my previous post, Steve is right in that: The Finder in Panther no longer has a Zoom menu item in its Window menu as it once had in Jaguar.

That's all I mean.

Everyone take a deep breath

(edit: got my kitties mixed up!)
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Wrong wrong wrong... \

This whole complaint has been based on misinformation.

Since the 80s, the zoom button's functionality has been to toggle between a user-set size and the fitted size. This functionality was partly lost in the transition to Mac OS X as apps like the Finder were rewritten from scratch and developers were playing catch-up with the more minor features like this.

Read what Kickaha said. Finder in Jaguar was broken. It's been fixed now, at least, for icon mode.

It has never been proper for Mac apps to use the zoom button to maximize windows to fill the screen.

WTF are you talking about?????

if you could just read I never talk about the green button with the plus sign. I talk about zoom window under whe window menu in finder.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Sorry guys, but it's just frustrating when people don't read what I wrote correctly and think I mean somethnig else and try to say that I'm wrong.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    So why did they get rid of the zoom window feature?

And why do we still not have cut file and paste file? (move a file from one directory to another like in windows) I'm so pissed apple doesn't implement this. I see no UI inconsistencies or problems with it, especially when copy file is in mac os.
  • Reply 28 of 30
  • Reply 29 of 30
    johnq

I'm sorry my posting of Safari screenshot have caused you so much grief and mental aggravation.

All i can say in my my defense: WHY DON"T YOU KISS MY ROSY A$$?

Good night everyone,

Tomorrow we can discuss how many Swingle Singers songs can fit on memory stick and what can we do with such an item..

Kickaha, lock this stupid thread.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    steve, search for precisely the cut/copy/pasting of files in Finder - it's been done to death. Apple is right.

And this thread has more than served any purpose it may have had.