The Passion of the Christ

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Star Wars was marketed with toy light sabres (I had one) and with Darth Vader figurines.

Harry Potter with fake glasses and wizard hats.

Mel Gibson's upcoming The Passion of the Christ with nails, of course,

and mugs!

I've just been to the website. For a film that prides itself on its historical accuracy it's kind of annoying that Jesus and Mary are both white, but hey.

Anyway.

Discuss!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 493
    For those who ain't acquainted, Mel Gibson's new film is shot entirely in Aramaic, an extinct language that used the Hebrew script, and subtitled. In America and in Europe, Jewish bodies have spoken out against it, saying it takes a too-hard line on Jewish responsibility for the Crucifixion and could even be anti-Semitic.

Mel Gibson is a member of an orthodox Christian sect I don't have time to look up now because I'm meeting my brother for lunch and must run.
  • Reply 2 of 493
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    He belongs to the "I Hate Jews" sect. Just kidding. Some anti-Vatican Catholic splinter group or whatever. He's a nutjob either way.
  • Reply 3 of 493
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

anti-Vatican Catholic

Excuse my ignorance but wouldn´t that be a contradiction?
  • Reply 4 of 493
    Nope.

The second vatican council is somewhat controversial and lead to the splinter group of which gibson (and his father) are part.
  • Reply 5 of 493
    Yeah, I think I've heard about enough of this story for the past year.

I don't know about the BBC, or whatever, but in the States this has been beaten to damn death.

Not that I care that you posted about it. I didn't know about the merchandising. That's actually a pretty cool necklace. Too bad I'm an atheist. Maybe I can get one and say it's to scare off vampires. Or Jews. Cause I hate them damn Jews.
  • Reply 6 of 493
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Yeah, I think I've heard about enough of this story for the past year....

I second that, these talking heads havnt even seen the movie yet (outside of a few rabies and a talk-radio host), so why are they trashing it?
  • Reply 7 of 493
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Mel Gibson's father dismissed the Holocaust as being 'mostly fiction'.

Am I gonna catch this movie when it hits the cinemas, you ask?

No!

http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/...her/index.html
  • Reply 8 of 493
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

Mel Gibson's father dismissed the Holocaust as being 'mostly fiction'.

Am I gonna catch this movie when it hits the cinemas, you ask?

No!

http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/...her/index.html

salon? wow thats believable
  • Reply 9 of 493
    I think it's pretty well-known in the news world that Gibson's father is a Holocaust denier.
  • Reply 10 of 493
    Guys, we all know that this can turn ugly soon, so before it happens, remember, IT"S JUST A MOVIE, why people make such a big deal out of it...?

KANE, Look at this quote from that article:

Quote:

Hutton Gibson follows a tiny wing of traditionalist Catholicism that views the modernizing reforms of the Second Vatican Council as a conspiracy between Jews and Masons to take over the church.

Or this:

Quote:

In this latest interview, Gibson said Jews want to take over the world. He did not know why Jews would want to achieve that, but said ``it's all about control. They're after one world religion and one world government.''

Do you really think that this is true?

Mel Gibson can direct his movie in any way he likes. Same goes for any Jewish director, do you think that Schindler's List was historically accurate?

truth always lies somewhere in the middle.

Let's not get too carried away
  • Reply 11 of 493
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

I think it's pretty well-known in the news world that Gibson's father is a Holocaust denier.

Hey i don't think he denies it, he's opinion is that Jews make it bigger than it actually was.
  • Reply 12 of 493
    Gibson's father does deny the Holocaust, but Mel does not. Mel has the perception that the Jews blame Catholics for the Holocaust because the Vatican didn't denounce it at the time.

Mel Gibson is an ultra-conservative Catholic. I believe he is a member of Opus Dei, a Catholic group that does not follow the teachings of the Vatican II or the pope. One could think of him something like a 'fundamentalist Catholic', which is very different than any other 'fundamentalist Christian'.

The movie (from my understanding) is based heavily on the Gospel of John. The Gospel of John is the fourth Gospel of the New Testament. It was written by a Gentile (as opposed to Mark, Matthew, and Luke who were Jews) at a time when Christianity diverged from Judaism. There is a certain amount of anti-Jewish sentiment in the Gospel of John as it reflects the tensions between Christians and Jews at the end of the first century.

That being said, I'm uncertain if anyone could tell the story of the Passion without some in the Jewish community feeling offended. Some Jews are very easily offended whenever anyone brings up the notion that they put Christ the death while some Christians will use this as fodder for their anti-Semetic views.

The truth is that the actions of the Jewish leadership did coerce the Romans to put Christ to death because Jesus threatened their power. This by no means puts the onus on the entire Jewish race for Christ's death.
  • Reply 13 of 493
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Yes but to punish the son, who may be guilty of Shoa-denial, with evidence against his father is shaky. They are not the same person, however close-minded they may really be. There is no tangible evidence against the son... except being guilty by association.

However repulsive the father may be, I can't allow myself to condem the son without evidence they are alike on these matters.
  • Reply 14 of 493
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Hey i don't think he denies it, he's opinion is that Jews make it bigger than it actually was.

Actually, you are correct.
  • Reply 15 of 493
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I can't add anything more to this discussion, Rogue Master's post was especially encapsulatory of my own feelings about this topic. Some other good posts in here as well, civil posts about those who feel that Gibson has ulterior motives. I do not see these motives myself, but can't speak for the man. I personally value the friendships that I have with my Jewish friends and believe that my Faith is fitted squarely atop theirs.

My only criticism of the film's production would be that I think they stopped short of their goal when they hired caucasian actor to play Christ. Jim Caviezel just completed work on a little film shot primarily here in Atlanta (1 week in Scotland) called "Stroke of Genius: The Bobby Jones Story"....yes, he played Bobby Jones. He often flew out of town to speak to various religious organizations, very active in his own church. So anyone who sees the film might consider that he wasn't just doing it for the paycheck.
  • Reply 16 of 493

All I got...

• Reply 17 of 493
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    All I can think of after seeing the nail necklace for sale is...

I want a t-shirt that says "I got nailed at Golgotha".

• Reply 18 of 493
    When did "Jesus" become the son of god historically?
  • Reply 19 of 493
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

When did "Jesus" become the son of god historically?

Didn't they start with that business about 100 years after he died? That was around the time the virgin birth was snuck in anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 493
    Bizarre. That would make the timing of the schism with Judaism more logical.

I really do not understand why people cannot see that this and all sorts of other religious teachings are utter crap -- not their moral sentiments but the back story behind them.