Partial dissection of iPod mini

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
That was quick...

http://www.pbase.com/image/26232050

http://www.pbase.com/image/26232048

Microdrive inside... ***CONFIRMED*** Who's going to buy one and attempt to swap the Microdrive for a CF card?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Wow that didn't take long. Looks like it will be easier to crack open the case and replace the battery, after all it only lasts 18 months.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Indeed it should be easier to open. When setting up I accidentally put the language into Italian. Mama mia! Finally was able to get it back to plain old English. I should mention that my iTunes tracks are either at 198 or 225 kbps which translates into 610 songs. I expected that. It's OK for my purposes. I'll be taking out my green mini for a walk today.

Additional notes. When turning my mini on after removing it from the box the clock was set at the right minute but wrong hour. It was also the Pacific Time zone. I corrected the info and changed the date from Jan 9, 2099 to the proper one. Since I've had a first gen 5 GB I did notice a few gui differences. When the backlight goes out it fades rather then just shutting off as it did with my older iPod. The typeface is not Chicago but much nicer and even sharper. Depending on the lighting the type seems to be dark blue. The click wheel takes some getting used to. It is very sensative and you can wind up going beyond the line you want to get to in the menu. It will probably take some getting used to.... unless the wheel is not working right? I'll give it a few days before going over to the Apple Store to check out the demo machines.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    For those fortunate enough to touch one of these mini iPods, what is the build quality? Is the anodized aluminum thick in that it won't dent easily? Or is it more tin-like.

While I welcome the lighter and smaller form factor, I'm alway weary of plasticky MP3 players that can crack open at the slightest drop. Hopefully the fact that it can be taken apart easily doesn't mean that it's poorly assembled.

All iPods have had a very solid feel to them. I'm hoping these mini ones are too.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    It was either Cnet or PC Magazine that said, "We felt like we could stand on our iPod mini, and it wouldnt dent, break, or crack, though we wouldnt reccomend doing so."

I think it is pretty clear that these are solid pieces of design work.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I used my friend's mini extensively the other day and I can assure you the case is extremely robust. Much more so than the regular iPods and perhaps more so than any consumer electronics device I've ever encountered.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    It is robust. But we're adults here (well most of us) and use with some care. Don't play in the mud or dirt and handle it. Don't toss it in the air to see how high it will bounce when landing on the sidewalk. You know, treat it with some respect. The respect that $250 deserves.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quick question. I currently have a 30GB iPod. If I bought a iPod mini (and swapped out the microdrive with compact flash) could I make the iPod mini sync only one playlist with iTunes while have the 30GB iPod sync everything?

If so, it would be VERY tempting. Probably get better battery life too.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    v99v99 Posts: 1member
    Okay, so.. how do you get it open? Mine seems to be tightly holding its hard drive goodness inside.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Quick question. I currently have a 30GB iPod. If I bought a iPod mini (and swapped out the microdrive with compact flash) could I make the iPod mini sync only one playlist with iTunes while have the 30GB iPod sync everything?

Yes, iTunes would recognize both without a problem. But what makes you think that compact flash would work?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    how much would a 4GB microdrive go for?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

how much would a 4GB microdrive go for?

Hitachi's retail kit sells for $500, but they go for around ~$300 on eBay at the moment. If you really want to be one of those people, buy the Muvo2 instead...it's $50 cheaper.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    one of those people?

I want to get a mini for cheaper... and 512 flash is plenty for me... actually i have a 256 i could use for it as well..
  • Reply 13 of 22
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Yes, iTunes would recognize both without a problem. But what makes you think that compact flash would work?

Compact flash and microdrives use the same interface. The only difference is microdrives take up a little more room and more power.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Microdrive inside... ***CONFIRMED*** Who's going to buy one and attempt to swap the Microdrive for a CF card?

Lexar does have a new 8 GB CF card. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...lexar8gbcf.asp

The would be one expensive iPod mini.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

one of those people?

I want to get a mini for cheaper... and 512 flash is plenty for me... actually i have a 256 i could use for it as well..

Sounded like you wanted to start hoarding them to make a profit.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Depends if the microdrive contains boot code required to start up the device. Technically, nothing would prevent you from using a CF-card instead of the microdrive, but I am not sure the Pod would recognize it.

Hmm buy iPod for $250, swap out microdrive, sell drive for $300, buy CF-card for $50. iPod for free. Magic
  • Reply 17 of 22
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I would love to see that (and do it myself too). Personally, I would rather have a 1GB Flash-based iPod mini than a 4GB HDD-based one. (A 4GB Flash-based one would obviously ruin any lower-price advantage.)

Escher
  • Reply 18 of 22
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Hmm buy iPod for $250, swap out microdrive, sell drive for $300, buy CF-card for $50. iPod for free. Magic

Goodness, I love that logic! Maybe it's finally time for me to jump on the iPod bandwagon.

Escher
  • Reply 19 of 22
    So does a CF card work? Has anyone tried yet?
  • Reply 20 of 22

Here's another "breakapart" article, from iPodLounge.com:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_m...d=3059_0_8_0_C