If you're a musician...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

I played the piano when I was younger but quit because my piano teacher would hit me and call me names whenever I looked at they keys or forgot a note.

I might start taking lessons again. I was pretty damn good.

We didnt have the same teacher did we?? Mine would literally bash my fingers down on the keys, it was awful. The one I had before that was great though...I was pretty good even went to a recital (man was I nervous there).

and giant, MPC collectin dust? You coulda given that sucker to me!!
  • Reply 22 of 30
    i've known [the basics of] how to play guitar for about 10ys. i wouldn't consider myself great or nufin. but, i can often entertain myself [and some ladies] on one of my ol' six strings. i have 2 lectrix (a beautiful les paul, and some no name), and an acoustic, which is presently in the loving care of a lady. i know [very] little [music] theory, so i can do stuff that noobs can't, but i'm still pretty far off from god, the devil and jimi.

i took piano lessons for 3 years before guitar. but that was more cuz i was really into billy joel (what a sad and pathetic person i was). i didn't really love the instrument, and never owned a piano (well, i had a keyboard, but the lil sis broke it). i haven't tried to really play in like 8 years.

in school, i was required to learn the "recorder", and at one point, some kind of weak drum. i think it was a snare, but it was a long long time ago, in a galaxy coincident with our own.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Bass and Bb clarinet. The marching band I'll be in next year(high schoool) is actually going to be in the 2005 Rose Parade. The concert band I'm in now is playing in Disneyland next month.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    The place I am renting has a Yamaha 7'6 grand piano in a large open living room! It sounds totally wonderful! But it's not mine, unfortunately . I practise on it, often for hours in the evenings (i have been playing piano since I was 4). I am extremely lucky!

As a side activity I do occasional sessions (keyboards player) in the studios here. I have always loved electronics in music and I have a kurzweil 2600 as a controller keyboard (I can hardly carry it though!)...with a rack of keyboardless midi expansion modules (roland 5080, korg triton etc). Why is equipment have to be so darned heavy....

My alltime favorite electronic instrument is the symbolic sound Kyma sound design workstation and I just purchased the latest version. If any of you musicians are into sound design, this is the tool to do it with (happy owner since 1998!). And ... believe this or not, but the kyma software must be so well written it has never crashed even once in 6 years!, with lots of use and abuse!!

http://www.symbolicsound.com

At home I record on a dual G4 using Cubase SX and a lil panasonic digi mixing board.

But the piano remains my favorite instrument...i am scared the landlord is going to come in one day and say..ok...the piano's being sold....please dont'!!!
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Started with *get this* the RECORDER *ooh! aahhh!*.

From there went to the viola, then a brief and unfortunate 4th grade career with the clarinet. In fifth grade I discovered the trumpet. Mmm... such a good instrument. Now, I'm not saying that *I* was any good, but I absolutely love the trumpet. Stuck with the trumpet until 11th grade, then experimented with the guitar for a bit.

Right now, I am rather unmusical. Hopefully, I'll be able to take some piano classes next semester.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebulous

Started with *get this* the RECORDER *ooh! aahhh!*.

So did I and I'm sure literally millions of others. It's actually a really lovely instrument played well. My music teacher in high school arranged for a virtuoso (!) recorder player to visit. He was great! I got very heavily into the treble recorder for a while. Much nicer than the descant.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

So did I and I'm sure literally millions of others. It's actually a really lovely instrument played well. My music teacher in high school arranged for a virtuoso (!) recorder player to visit. He was great! I got very heavily into the treble recorder for a while. Much nicer than the descant.

Yeah...it's commonly accepted practice in Music Education Land to start on that instrument in third grade as a prep for a band instrument in fourth. It is nice when played well. The things used in schools are of course utter pieces of crap.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    resres Posts: 711member
    I've been playing the guitar for more years then I care to admit. I can play some simple base and keyboards. I also used to play the penny-whistle and a bit on the recorder.

I've been out of the music scene for a while, but I keep threatening to start up a new band.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

[5th grade] Underarms, nutthin but underarms [/5th Grade]

hahahaha!!!!!!!
  • Reply 30 of 30
    i'm gonna be picking up bass pretty soon, as well as violin.