Scientists discover Sixth form of Matter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    The wave canceling is simply a result of the creation of zones where these atoms are "forbidden" from existing stably. The atoms will move at the thermal energy velocity when the forces causing this interference pattern are set up.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    This quote from the article adds more confusion.

Quote:

Editor's note: This story mentions six phases of matter: solids, liquids, gases, plasmas, BECs and fermionic condensates. Physicists debate the total. You could add to the list many other forms such as liquid crystals, glasses, ferromagnets, paramagnets and so on. Do fermionic condensates rightly belong among the major categories, like liquids and solids, or with less fundamental subdivisions such as liquid crystals? This question will be answered in the months and years ahead as researchers learn more about the properties of coalescing fermions.

So if you scientists are so good, why don't we have an alternative to the internal combustion engine eh?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

So if you scientists are so good, why don't we have an alternative to the internal combustion engine eh?

legs, bicycles, fuel cell, electric, stirling engine, ion drive... plenty of alternatives.

which application are asking to replace the ICE for?

as to a wider spectrum of forms/phases/states to include crystalline versions,

I'm not sure where the line would be drawn as far as unique properties.

There are new MagnetoRheological materials being tested by transportation researchers that include ferrous microspheres uniformly distributed in oils that behave as viscous liquids until a magnetic field turns them solid almost instantaneously. Is it a liquid or solid or what. Does the influence of magnetic forces (which can also influence plasmas) deserve the same attention or respect as temperature in triggering phase change? What about spin?

I hope scientists are as curious about the answers as I am, if not more so.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

shit, i'm in highschool.

i only knew the first three.

That's because most American High School students today aren't required to know squat... no offense. It's not your fault, but the fault of the parents, superintendants and deans all over the country who enforce the post-modern curriculum. Apparently, demanding as much of high school students as we did say 15 or 20 years ago, is now politically incorrect and also insensitive.

Nurturing and valuing our students' opinions is more important than requiring them to understand the four most basic states of matter, or to understand advanced algebra or to understand biological realities instead of Biblical stories.

For the last decade (maybe less) we've been turning out a crop of students who feel it is their God-given right not to be challenged but "respected" (which usually means, don't ask them to do so much work dude!).

So you can see, Liberalism in the extreme, is no better than Conservativism in the extreme (let that be your lesson for the day). Now go read up on plasmas and be happy in the knowledge that until you get into engineering school, the 5th and 6th states of matter won't be that useful to you anyway.

• Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

There are new materials being tested by transportation researchers that include ferrous microspheres uniformly distributed in oils that behave as viscous liquids until a magnetic field turns them solid almost instantaneously. Is it a liquid or solid or what.

I believe the term you are searching for is "mixture" or "colloid suspension". It's not really a different state of matter apart from the most common 3. It simply displays multiphasic behavior in response to magnetic fields. It's also becoming more commonly used in active damping shock absorbers and active-controlled viscous couplings, btw.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Now go read up on plasmas and be happy in the knowledge that until you get into engineering school, the 5th and 6th states of matter won't be that useful to you anyway.

I dunno...I think I hit a puddle of 5th or 6th state matter this morning on my way to work. My car levitated slightly, and I ended up in the Renaissance period where I got married to a large breasted white woman and raised a wonderful family. When I returned to 2004, I wasn't even late to work. Heh, that lady had some glorious breasts, she did... ...or it could have just been a puddle of slurpy. It's hard to tell, really.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
  • Reply 28 of 29
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

There is far more to that aspect of occultism than you are apparently aware of.

No not really, I just find it easier to giggle at little things if I don't read too far into them.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    finshiafinshia Posts: 1member

plz say a definition about 6th state of matter:???: :no: