Election poll

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay, I wanted to make an intelligently-constructed election poll. So here it is.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Thanks Luca
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Hmmm...a political poll on an (sometimes) ultra liberal board. Wonder which way this is gonna go.

My vote is going for Bush.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Hmmm...a political poll on an (sometimes) ultra liberal board. Wonder which way this is gonna go.

My vote is going for Bush.

I'm just asking the people at AppleInsider to vote. I know the results will mean absolutely nothing as far as determining the outcome of the election later this year, I'm just curious to see what proportion of people vote each way. I'm surprised at the number of Nader voters.

I'd put this in every forum and compare AppleOutsider to the other forums if they'd let me. I wonder if the outcome would be different among people who usually go to Future Hardware or something.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    gee that shows how bad our country is with following party lines... when will people wake up and just vote for whichever candidate they feel is best, regardless of the party?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    An "I don't know yet" option would have been nice. I voted "Other."

Really...I don't know yet. \
  • Reply 6 of 38
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

gee that shows how bad our country is with following party lines... when will people wake up and just vote for whichever candidate they feel is best, regardless of the party?

yes, we democrats have NO idea who the nominee will be...al sharpton????? i don't care, so long as he is in my party! it will be kerry or edwards, most likely kerry. i know both of their records and stances and am happy to cast my vote for them.

if the president truly had control of the country, i might vote Nader, but even if he got elected, Dems and Reps would make him useless in Washington. as i have said before, party reform cannot and will not work from the top-down, it must be a bottom-up, grass roots movement. would i vote for Nader for mayor of cincinnati? yes. president? it wouldn't possibly work. it is sad, but votes for any but the major parties for president are worthless...i truly see no value in them, aside from a feel-good "i voted my conscience thing." If you want change, work to make your party of choice a major party...and, unfortunately, this can't happen overnight in a presidential election.

whoa, got a little off-topic there
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

yes, we democrats have NO idea who the nominee will be...al sharpton????? i don't care, so long as he is in my party! it will be kerry or edwards, most likely kerry. i know both of their records and stances and am happy to cast my vote for them.

just to prove my point:

lets assume that youre pro choice (as an example), and that the democratic candidate was pro-life. you would still vote for him/her just b/c theyre a democrat??
  • Reply 8 of 38
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

just to prove my point:

lets assume that youre pro choice (as an example), and that the democratic candidate was pro-life. you would still vote for him/her just b/c theyre a democrat??

Yay for one issue voting... that's exactly how Bush got where he is.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, you guys raise a good point. It's really hard to know who you're going to vote for. Personally, I'm voting for whoever wins the Democratic nomination, but I understand that many people have their heart set on one candidate and won't necessarily vote with the Democrats. I guess I didn't want to burden the poll by putting separate options for "whoever wins the Democratic nomination," "Kerry, if he wins, otherwise a non-Democrat," "Edwards, if he wins, otherwise a non-Democrat," etc. The choices weren't as random as the other poll, but it's still not perfect.

Perhaps a better idea would be to just ask who you're supporting the most out of who is running right now: Bush, Edwards, Kerry, Kucinich, Nader, or Sharpton.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:

just to prove my point:

i was just being sarcastic and saying that we know the nominee will be kerry or edwards, both of whose issues i know about and support. not that it matters, but i don't vote based on the abortion issue.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    I will vote for whoever the Libertarian candidate is.

(They will decide at the end of May.)
  • Reply 12 of 38
    do all repubs think that bush is the best republican in the US to lead this country?? talk about following party lines...hell, the repubs don't even get a say....

i'm voting for the democratic nom (surprise there huh!) and will be proud to have a vietnam war hero as our next president....

g
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

I will vote for whoever the Libertarian candidate is.

(They will decide at the end of May.)

why do you like the libertarian party? i don't agree with the party's platform, but i have a lot of respect for the party, as they are very clear and consistant in their beliefs
  • Reply 14 of 38
    W '04
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Penn State
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Penn State

9/11

Read Sean Hannity's new book.

----------

BTW, what is the deal with the Penn State comment? 10th largest research institution in the country, the largest and most technologically advanced IST building (65 million dollars), and not too bad of an engineering program..or so I've heard. Oh wait, Joe Paterno = a footall legend and just pulled in a top ten recruiting class. Life is good, minus Napster of course.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Well given that the main campus of Penn State is smack dab in the "northern alabama except worse", it really comes as more of a surprise when I intersect someone who is vaguely liberal from that school and mind you vaguely liberal is as far as I can stretch it. The school itself is probably fine, although the grad students that it produces aren't the most deep of analytical thinkers. And your comment about a book swaying views just goes to show that it may be the population the school is drawing from and not the school (although the two are so intertwined that it is truly impossible to separate them).

Edit: Read Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky
  • Reply 18 of 38
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Hmmm...a political poll on an (sometimes) ultra liberal board.

The only thing making appleinsider seem liberal is that those claiming to be conservatives (all the way up to the president) consistently make statements that are dead wrong.

And the Bush admin isn't conservative at all, except for the religious/bigot part.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    I can get better reading references than those. How about from people with degrees that are making 6 figure salaries? People such as my parents, my Political Science Ph.D father and my Georgetown Law School honors graduate mother (Phi Beta Capa).

"The population that the school is drawing from" makes up only a small percentage of Penn State's 48,000 students at main campus, and 96,000 world wide. Interestingly enough, the local high school is one of the top public schools in the nation, which is due to the kids coming from professors who teach at Penn State.

Also, the average SAT score for a University Park student is a 1270...not too bad for an "Alabama in the middle of nowhere, only worse" type of place.

P.S. BillyBobsky sort of sounds sophisticated to me...
  • Reply 20 of 38
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I can get better reading references than those from people with degrees that are making 6 figure salaries. People such as my parents, my Political Science Ph.D father and my Georgetown Law School honors graduate mother.

Who doesn't have a graduate degree these days?

From your statement it's pretty clear you have neither a 6 figure salary nor a graduate degree. Poor you.