Jazz album recommendations?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

colytrane sits him down pulls out his soprano and does a twenty minute "favorite things" for an audience of one.

And on the other hand:

Electric-period Miles is in Paris and goes to a jazz club. There's a Rebirth of the Cool tribute band, who do the album with staggering precision and passion. At the end of the concert, the band leader goes up to his idol and says, "What did you think?". Miles replies "Did we do it wrong the first time mother****er?"
  • Reply 42 of 60
    ever hear the one about the limo ride to the kennedy center (ray charles was being honored) when fred macmurray's wife said to miles "i bet your mammy is really proud of you" oh man, the car went silent.

then miles responds "listen you...my mother ain't no motherf?ckin' mammy! you hear what i'm tellin' you? that word is out of style and people don't use it anymore. my mother was more elegant and proper than you ever could be, and my father was a doctor. so don't you ever say anything like that to a black person anymore, YOU HEAR WHAT I'M SAYIN' TO YOU?"
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Oh yes.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Well I hear BRussell has a new bluesy jazz album out.

Get it here.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    I think BRussell's blues period was definitely his most focussed and (to my ears at least) his most moving.

I don't think the cocaine, the fast cars and the French movie starlets did him any favours.

He really fell off (I think) after 'CJamBlues' and 'Ladybirdtempo154', although I still pull out 'Trioblues' all the time.

While I love electric period BRussell, I always, always keep coming back to his GarageBand stuff. Love it.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    One time this guy came up to me in a restaurant and before he could say anything I said "**** you mother****in ****er go **** yourself you ****!" Oh, the stories I could tell.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rampancy

[...]

I'm pretty much into all kinds of Jazz, but I'm more drawn to the instrumental stuff, like the piano and bass stuff I usually hear at classy cafes. Diana Krall et al. are nice, but it doesn't do much for me.

[...]

I'm surprised, given the criteria, that Bill Evans has only been mentioned once (that I see) in this thread. So I'll mention him again:

Bill Evans. (Dead, unfortunately.)

Check out some of his stuff.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I'm surprised, given the criteria, that Bill Evans has only been mentioned once (that I see) in this thread. So I'll mention him again:

Bill Evans. (Dead, unfortunately.)

Check out some of his stuff.

Yup! The Bill Evans Trio. Great stuff! Pat Methethany even wrote a tribute to him on one of his albums with Lyle Mays. From the album " As Falls Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls " is " September Fifteenth " ( the date of Bill Evans' death ).
  • Reply 49 of 60
    A friend of mine once found himself next to BRussell in the queue for the soul food at a jazz festival in Nice on the French Riviera. BRussell had no francs, only dollars. My friend offered to buy him some chitlings and the bluesman punched him in the throat, took all his money and went to a Michelin two-starred restaurant on the Promenade des Anglais where he got coked up and beat the Maitre d'Hotel so badly that he lost his hearing.

What a genius.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Nice to see Pat Metheny mentioned here. I got "Imaginary Day" by the Pat Metheny Group a few months ago, and it's one of my favourite albums...it runs the gamut from easy, melodic pieces to the hard, driving "Roots of Coincidence". I think it even won a Grammy the year it came out.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Pianists:

Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Cyrus Chestnut
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Bill Frisell gets my vote for best guitarist on my downbeat ballot. He's quirky, prolific, and brilliant.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    splodesplode Posts: 13member
    pfflam, kneelbeforezod, Hassan i Sabbah,

Nice picks!

As far as the request goes for schtuff that fits in with Mogwai, GSYBE, etc, I might also sugg some of Matthew Shipp's recent stuff. He's been getting a little experimental with synths, bringing in techno and hip-hop artists (Springheel Jack and El-P), but not ending up with a "fusion" (in the bad sense) sound. He's an excellent keys player whose stuff tends to slower, quieter mionor-key stuff.

My faves now include nything with William Parker and Hamid Drake, the William Parker Violin Trio with Billy Bang is ****ing gorgeous, the latest albums by Peter Brotzmann on Eremite ("Always Too Late But Never Too Early" fer an excellent example) are sublime as well. Brotzmann's Chicago Octet/Tentet are really good too. Not as utterly volcanic as Machine Gun (which RULEZ!!!), but really good. At times loud, funky, somber, they got a wee bit of everything. Parker and Drake also appear on "Two Days In April" with Kidd Jordan (a jazz giant who is sadly under-appreciated) and Fred anderson (ditto). Highly, HIGHLY recommended, it's a free jazz landmark, uplifting, spiritual, a masterpiece.

Blood Ulmer does indeed rule. I had the supreme luck to see him with Jamaaldeen and Grant Calvin Weston a few months ago here in New Orleans. Wow!

Other quick suggs: Archie Shepp, Frank Lowe (he's got a great album with Rashied Ali), Charles Gayle - "Touchin' On Trane" (another masterpiece), anything Miles did from 1968-1974, just about anything Pharoah Sanders did/does (I'm desperately lookin' for the Jazz Composer's Orchestra), David Ware, David Murray, Hal Russel and the NRG ensemble, yaddity yaddity yaddity. Damn. I'll stop now before I get carried away.

Thanks for the nice thread, it's great to see so many incredible artists mentioned!

splode
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by splode

pfflam, kneelbeforezod, Hassan i Sabbah,

Nice picks!

As far as the request goes for schtuff that fits in with Mogwai, GSYBE, etc, I might also sugg some of Matthew Shipp's recent stuff. He's been getting a li

splode

Dude. Did you hear that Hamid Drake and Pharoah Sanders album, came out last year? Jeepers.

I just saw Billy Bang play last year, with Kip Hanrahan and Ismael Reed. Oh oh oh oh oh: check out Alfredo Triff's '21 Broken Melodies at Once'. Oh my. Electric violin genius.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    I now have way too many things on my 'must check out' list, largely thanks to this thread
  • Reply 56 of 60
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by splode

"Two Days In April" with Kidd Jordan

Amazon is my friend.

Dyamm I didn't realise there were people with such good taste here.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Splode, PM me!
  • Reply 58 of 60
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Cotrane---Blue Train---for the absolute virgin. Great stuff, darn near stereotypical "Jazz".

Also, Chick Corea "My Spanish Heart"......
  • Reply 59 of 60
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    How about the Dave Brubeck quartet at Carnegie Hall.

Miles Davies - Sketches of Spain

Keith Jarret - the Koln concert.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Cotrane---Blue Train---for the absolute virgin. Great stuff, darn near stereotypical "Jazz".

¿stereotypical jazz? i don't think there is such a thing, just look at this list so far.

it is stereotypical of what much of the blue note catalog sounded like at the time, composition driven, strong melodies, well rehearsed, (which is why blue note was so popular at the time. they paid for rehearsal time in the studio) and thought out soloing.

it gets called hard bop sometimes, but like miles i kind of chafe when music gets collared by labels.

it's certainly is not stereotypical coltrane.