Advice on PRO AUDIO CARDS (Audio expert opinions needed)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    resres Posts: 711member
    I have to recommend firewire over a card.

If you can get by with 2-In/2-Out analog you cannot beat the Metric Halo Mobile I/O ULN-2. It cost around $1000.00 and had the best mic pre-amps you are going to find without spending several thousand on each channel.

If you need to go cheaper you could get the M-Audio FireWire 410, it only costs around $400.00

If you need more audio inputs I'd go with either the Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882 or a MOTU 828mkII

You should check out the forums at OS X Audio It is a great place for people who use their Macs for music making.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Thanks for all the replies so far. I dont really know what I can spend...I'm lookin to spend $2-3k of my savings on a mini home recording studio...basically 1 or 2 pieces of equipment, some mics, and a higher-end MIDI interface. Pretty much I will be recording demos, cds on the computer for other artists and myself. This is also meant to be a start for when I eventually have my own recording studio down the line...so I wanna start with this lil setup and eventually expand. Maybe I dont even need the sound card.....would my Revo be good enough for recording? I also know that Firewire is very popular for professional audio interfaces....I've heard the debate about Firewire vs. PCI..still dont really know what is better but I tend to not want a whole lot of external devices on my desk/whatnot. Plus, my room is really small and so is this house...not a lot of room for stuff. I checked out the MOTU on their site...Ive seen it before but isnt it pricey? Didnt see a price listed on there so I have no idea how much $$$ I'd be shelling out for one.

I stand by my original suggestion of the Motu 828. It's exactly what you are looking for. It's got midi and audio in one box. I say get the motu, a Rode NT 1000 microphone, and some M-Audio BX-8 monitors. That won't even cost you $2000 and you'll have a very respectable start to a home studio. You'll also need DAW software. I would go with either Digital Performer or one of the Logic series (Pro/Express).

Good luck.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Oops I didn't reread the first post. Nevermind about the DAW software. It looks like you've already got it.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    OK, you said that you were aim for a pro card so ....

On the firewire side it starts off with Metric Halo, 2882 or ULN-2, the Motu stuff are great for the money, pro? well, maybe not.

( although I have heard some great recordings with Motu stuff)

If you do the pci dance, get a Lynx card with AES and buy a decent AD/DA chain: Apogee, Benchmark, Prism, Weiss or DCS whatever your price range ...
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

and some M-Audio BX-8 monitors.

I have to warn against M-Audio monitors. I sold pro audio equipment for a little while and I gotta say the M-Audio can't make a decent pair of speakers to save their lives.

The BX-8's usually didn't even compare to other maufacturer's 5" models, and the BX5 were pathetic. They both seriously lacked any bass response and the stereo imagining was limited. I don't quite understand how that's even possible, and usually regard audiophile-speak about speakers as 90% bullsh!t, but we had a nice speaker swithing system and when we switched to the M-Audios (on a well mixed CD) the entire soundstage snapped to the middle. Even the Behringer 2031s (which are crap as well) were better.

I'd recommend the Event TR series for a good value. Almost as good as their PS series. I'm getting a pair of TR5s soon. great sound for the price. If you can afford something like Mackie HR624s or some Tanoys you'll be very happy.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    In my experience:

1. Motu 828 Mk II. I got one a few months ago and it is a stupendous piece of gear. I chose it over the MAudio and Digi 002. Sounds excellent and I think it is indeed "pro" quality, if anything is in this price category.

2. Mics - Oktavas a excellent and cheap. The Rode stuff is alse excellent. I have had good luck with AT 4051's. Blue makes awesome stuff, but that's a bit pricier.

3. I think used monitors are a great way to go - I have a pair of Peavey (yes, Peavey) PRM 308 monitors from the early 90's and I haven't heard anything in the $1000 range that is better or even as good. They are great nearfields, but unpowered, so if you can find them you'll have to buy an amp. Of course, you can probably get them for $200 a pair.

4. I use Sennheiser 590's for headphones. Not great for monitoring b/c they are not closed, but they are very detailed. I'd look at AKG's, too.

Thoth

[edited for spelling and model #]
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

The BX-8's usually didn't even compare to other maufacturer's 5" models, and the BX5 were pathetic. They both seriously lacked any bass response and the stereo imagining was limited. I don't quite understand how that's even possible, and usually regard audiophile-speak about speakers as 90% bullsh!t, but we had a nice speaker swithing system and when we switched to the M-Audios (on a well mixed CD) the entire soundstage snapped to the middle. Even the Behringer 2031s (which are crap as well) were better.

The BX-8s get good reviews all over the net. You're the first one I've heard say anything bad about them. They aren't as good as the Mackies for sure, but then they also don't cost near as much.

"M-Audio BX8 Monitors: Now these were the biggest surprise. I'm pretty picky about monitors and I really thought that I would be checking these out, returning them, and going back to get the Mackies 624's. Well, they're not going anywhere. for the money, less than $500, these are a complete surprise. I would recomend them to anyone that is looking at the mackies, but are really trying to save a few dollars. I also love how much sound shaping ability these have. The rear panel has a number of settings to help you tune these specifically to your room. A very nice product for the money."

8)