Some Macs just won't die... (with pictures)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

That's sad. At least the rainbow Apple logo is still in perfect condition.

I have a Performa 6116CD.. still working very good with Mac OS 9.1

I have a Performa 6200CD and it is slow as hell... It seems to do fine as a file server with System 7.5.5 but slows right down with OS 8.1. It even has the cache card and ram maxed out.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Put the motherboard in the dishwasher (after taking out the battery). Allow it to dry and it should be spiffy clean.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    sailfishsailfish Posts: 163member
    There is a specialty solvent that you can immerse most electronics in that will clean off the mud.

Ask at electronic repair shops if nobody comes up with the answer here first.

Super Jeopardy Bonus Question name that solvent!

• Reply 24 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Put the motherboard in the dishwasher (after taking out the battery). Allow it to dry and it should be spiffy clean.

thats the goofyest thing i have heard, does it work????? i'm thinking shortout bigtime
  • Reply 25 of 34
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

thats the goofyest thing i have heard, does it work????? i'm thinking shortout bigtime

A current must exist for there to be a short.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    What about rust?
  • Reply 27 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

A current must exist for there to be a short.

moisture lurks, 3,4,or 5 days later there still could be moisture in the IC's ti could get in between the pins and whala, moisture
  • Reply 28 of 34
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Hee, hee, hee....

There's a garbage hopper at the block of units I used to live at, that's been spitting out olds Macs for the last 18 months or so. All pretty ancient stuff. About every 6 - 8 weeks a new (old) Mac appears in the hopper. I guess we've dragged out around a dozen or so. We have no idea where they're coming from but so far I think only one has not worked. Needles to say, we counsel them to help them through the harrowing experience and then find them a loving home.

maybe you've found the legendary lost murbot Mac Graveyard.

• Reply 29 of 34
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    That didn't work with compressed air. The mud was very, very dry and I had no chance of getting it off with the air. It also was pretty thick. So took the little boy to a shower. He looks like new now, and will be out drying for some time.

Press your thumbs for luck, so that I can revive him one more time...
  • Reply 30 of 34
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i have an SE that still works. stupid thing won't die.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Wow. I can see the headlines now:

"Life Found on Motherboard! Scientists Stunned!"

lol. Give her a good spray. She's seen water before...I'd say it wouldn't hurt her a bit.

[edit] Whoops. I didn't scroll to your last post. ...hmmm, so it's a boy huh? Good luck my friend. All my male machines are real pains in the arse.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Get a bottle of isopropanol (91%) at a local drug store. Should set you back about 2 bucks. It should take off the mud, and it probably won't damage the electronics.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    ...so you like taking little dirty boys to the shower???
  • Reply 34 of 34
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I also have an SE, still working like it always did.

Well, I'm not sure if it's a boy or a girl, because I haven't checked? but I think it's a dumb idea to say if a computer is a boy or a girl. I mean, yes, my computer has a name, but this Performa was one I just picked up. No need to get emotional about that.

Yep, I almost did that with isopropanol at work, but I decided against it because we didn't had much left, and the mud was really thick - It even took some time with the shower head. It was all very thick and dry, and stuck on it like some things on other things

And no, I don't like taking little dirty boys to the shower, I always look that I change their diapers before that, you pervert.