Ipod2 by the end of 04 into mid 05

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Actually, the only thing people keep bitching about is the battery!

Give people a way to change the battery and the iPod is -

Perfect!

AMEN, Im not saying to increase the battery life. Im just saying find a way to replace the battery like the powerbook. The $99 program replaces your ipod. They don't transfer the songs on your old one to the new one. With the powerbook like battery change you can remove the dead battery and put the new one in and not lose your songs.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    1) You already can buy a battery and replace it yourself, or send it off to have it replaced. Apple might send back a new iPod, but the other companies offering battery-replacement services don't.

2) Ever seen the inside of an iPod? A replaceable battery means a bulkier, uglier, less sturdy player. Is that worth a minor inconvenience every few years?

3) You make it sound like getting songs back onto an iPod is some huge trial. I just got back a new iPod after mine got killed by airport "security". I sat it down in the dock I already had. iTunes launched. A few minutes later, all my songs were on board. Boy, that was a real hassle.

Point 3, in particular, makes me wonder if you've ever actually used an iPod. In my own experience, which includes sending in a dead iPod and getting back a different, empty one, the tradeoffs involved in having a sealed battery are not at all worth compromising the design. The whole "18 month" thing is a joke, anyway.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    It would be cool if the 4th genertation will also have voice reginztion. On some cellphones you say home or dads cell and the phone will automaticly call home dad cell. You can say the song you want and the ipod will play it automaticly. You can also say up 3 knotchs to turn up or down the volume. You can still use the wheel and buttons. I doubt it for the 4th generation but maybe the 5th or 6th generation
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

It would be cool if the 4th genertation will also have voice reginztion. On some cellphones you say home or dads cell and the phone will automaticly call home dad cell. You can say the song you want and the ipod will play it automaticly. You can also say up 3 knotchs to turn up or down the volume. You can still use the wheel and buttons. I doubt it for the 4th generation but maybe the 5th or 6th generation

Ever used Apple's voice recognition? I have over 30GB of music on my iPod, how is it supposed to find a specific song I'm speaking? Last time I used speech recognition on my mac was in OS 9 and I asked it to tell me a joke. Instead, it shut down the system. Which was fine, yes, but I wanted it to tell me a joke.

Not to mention now you need a microphone to go with your iPod. Maybe they could build in brainwave monitors to the earbuds so you only have to think of the song you want.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Ever used Apple's voice recognition? I have over 30GB of music on my iPod, how is it supposed to find a specific song I'm speaking? Last time I used speech recognition on my mac was in OS 9 and I asked it to tell me a joke. Instead, it shut down the system. Which was fine, yes, but I wanted it to tell me a joke.

Is it OS 9 that's to blame for that, or your accent?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    I'd say its the fact that Speech Recognition on the Mac has been largely unchanged since it first appeared on Quadra AV systems.

Still, I'd hate to try and have it isolate a specific song, not to mention that I don't want to carry around a microphone