System 7 -- When life was good!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Every so often I fire up my LC520 and take it for a spin. I just love System 7 (7.5.5 to be exact)... so I want to put it on my Performa 6200CD to which OS 8.1 currently resides.

So I am looking for a bootable CD image of System 7.5.3 (latest CD release by Apple which has been released to the public)... So far I have found a toast image... but I require it to be in ISO or in an other universal format.

Anyone know where to look?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Well i found this . I know you run linux so this might not be of any help unless you know someone with panther.

Though i am sure, theres a command util that will convert it.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Thanks for the info.

Ok well I can download the floppies right from Apple... however my iMac does not have a floppy drive...

I downloaded toast for my iMac... but when I went to download the image... the link was broken.

Ok... so is there any way to make a bootable CD image out of the 19 floppy images using OS 8.6?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    if you want an actual Apple System 7.5.x CD try looking for a used Mac dealer in your area.

old system CDs are often brought in by people upgrading and boxing all the legacy stuff
  • Reply 4 of 32
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I think I have a system 7.1 and 7.5 cds. I could make a disk image for you and fire it away.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I think I have a system 7.1 and 7.5 cds. I could make a disk image for you and fire it away.

Sounds GREAT!

I hope you don't mind...

7.5 please.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    You can burn the disk images to a CD/zip disk/USB key/etc: they don't have to be copied to floppies. Make sure you get the 7.5.5 update as well.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    FYI, old operating systems like this used to sit on Apple's public FTP servers for free.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

FYI, old operating systems like this used to sit on Apple's public FTP servers for free.

and it does... in FLOPPY sized chunks... not in bootable CD images.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    buy a floppy drive...for like 10 dollars
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

You can burn the disk images to a CD/zip disk/USB key/etc: they don't have to be copied to floppies. Make sure you get the 7.5.5 update as well.

• Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

buy a floppy drive...for like 10 dollars

For an iMac??? umm I would have to get a USB floppy and let me tell you they are not ten bucks.

I could just copy them using my Linux box... however I don't have 19 floppy just lying around.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

I gave that a shot... however it did not work...

The odd thing is when I hold down "c" the drive does not even spin up...

Do you need Open Firmware to boot off cds?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Thanks for the info.

Ok well I can download the floppies right from Apple... however my iMac does not have a floppy drive...

This might not matter. I installed Quark XPress onto a Blue and White G3 that had no floppy drive. All there has to be is a driver, and I think there is one on board.

You should just be able to double-click the images, and they'll mount, and you'll be OK. (When I loaded Quark, I had to click "Cancel" when asked to insert the floppy, but it still worked.)
  • Reply 14 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Do you need Open Firmware to boot off cds?

No, that's been a feature for as long as Macs have had CD-ROM drives. The CD-ROM has to be bootable, though.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

No, that's been a feature for as long as Macs have had CD-ROM drives. The CD-ROM has to be bootable, though.

for which you'll need a "Blessed" System Folder, IIRC

If you're burning with Toast, select Mac Volume and check the preferences for a "Make Bootable" tickbox

but it may depend on which version of Toast you've got
  • Reply 16 of 32
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Why not just create a 20MB or so disk image and use the floppy images to do a universal install to it? You should be able to burn the resulting image to a CD and just copy the files across. Throw the System 8 folder in the trash and copy the new folder across and reboot.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    I believe if you put in the CD, mount ALL of the disk images, and then start the installer off the first mounted image, you'll be able to get the job done.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

Why not just create a 20MB or so disk image and use the floppy images to do a universal install to it? You should be able to burn the resulting image to a CD and just copy the files across. Throw the System 8 folder in the trash and copy the new folder across and reboot.

This is one road I walked down... however, the installer can not tell which computer I am using (because it is an iMac) and refuses to give me the option to install (let alone universal install)
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

I believe if you put in the CD, mount ALL of the disk images, and then start the installer off the first mounted image, you'll be able to get the job done.

I could do that... just too bad the reason I want to put System 7 on this performa is that it needs a fresh system install, du to the fact that it will not boot. I currently get the disk with a question mark image at boot time.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Last I checked, Apple gave away 7.5.5 as a download for free.

Anyway, you should keep 8.1 Accelerate Your Mac claims that it's faster and more stable than 7.6, which is faster and more stable than 7.5.5