3GHz G5 this summer?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is perdicting that the 3Ghz G5 will come out this summer. Also the G5 procceser was rated the best processer of 2003. The article states that intel and other processer makers will not even begin to rival the new G5 processers. But if you don't believe me here's the proof.

http://www.mdronline.com/watch/watch...77000000000000

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    3Ghz by late summer 2004? You can take that to the bank.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    That 's what Ive been waiting to hear..finally the wait can be over and I can sell my left kidney to repalce my good ol B&W G3, it still gets the job done but just quite a bit slower being that its the 300mhz model. man do I feel archaic...
  • Reply 3 of 46
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    3ghz by summer 04?????? oh wait, i've hear dnow for about 6 months!
  • Reply 4 of 46
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    this is not the thread we're looking for, move along
  • Reply 5 of 46
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I fixed the link so you guys can start to believe me
  • Reply 6 of 46
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I fixed the link so you guys can start to believe me

It is still an old story that has been heard many times there is nothing new here.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Yup, just restating old news. On to the next thread.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Steve said 3 Ghz by Summer 2004, and so it shall be.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Steve said 3 Ghz by Summer 2004, and so it shall be.

Heh... didn't he say we'd have twice the market share by now too?

Is it just me or is IBM beginning to look more and more like Motorola with each passing month...

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

Is it just me or is IBM beginning to look more and more like Motorola with each passing month...

No more so than Intel or AMD. High speed processors are complicated things, and 90 nm processes are hard. Its not unusual for delays measured in months. Motorola was having delays measured in years, and then under-delivering on that.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

No, he said all Apple had to do to double its US market share (which was 5% at the time) was to get a relatively small number (I don't remember the exact number) of Windows users to switch to the Mac. This, of course, was before 9-11 and the recession, not that it matters to global market share.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Steve said it months ago. And that's the way it is, cause Steve said so.

OK, people...nothing to see here...
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

No more so than Intel or AMD. High speed processors are complicated things, and 90 nm processes are hard. Its not unusual for delays measured in months. Motorola was having delays measured in years, and then under-delivering on that.

It's been almost 9 months since the G5 was introduced. Even the troubled PC camp has made progress in this time...

Quote:

No, he said all Apple had to do to double its US market share (which was 5% at the time) was to get a relatively small number (I don't remember the exact number) of Windows users to switch to the Mac. This, of course, was before 9-11 and the recession, not that it matters to global market share.

The point was that what you want isn't always what you get. What makes you think Steve has any more influence over IBM's fabs?

C.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:

It's been almost 9 months since the G5 was introduced. Even the troubled PC camp has made progress in this time...

So true.Intel went from a 3.2 to a 3.4 ghz part.Ibm may as well give up right now.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

So true.Intel went from a 3.2 to a 3.4 ghz part.Ibm may as well give up right now.

Oh, don't act so childish. Thing is, we know Intel is in troubled waters right now and to be fair they did also introduce a new class of processor recently as well (as sucky as it is). What does that say about IBM?

All I've said was that (at least so far) IBM doesn't seem to be able to produce faster chips any quicker than Motorola. 9 months without a peep is getting into Motorola territory for delays... and people expect to see 3 Ghz machines in 4 months?!?

C.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Oh, don't act so childish. Thing is, we know Intel is in troubled waters right now and to be fair they did also introduce a new class of processor recently as well (as sucky as it is). What does that say about IBM?

All I've said was that (at least so far) IBM doesn't seem to be able to produce faster chips any quicker than Motorola. 9 months without a peep is getting into Motorola territory for delays... and people expect to see 3 Ghz machines in 4 months?!?

To be fair: we don't know the cause of the delays, it isn't necessarily availability of the 970FX.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

All I've said was that (at least so far) IBM doesn't seem to be able to produce faster chips any quicker than Motorola. 9 months without a peep is getting into Motorola territory for delays...

Motorola's delays were measured in years. They were almost three years behind the industry in moving to 130nm, for example.

Besides, you're counting from the date when Steve revealed the PM G5 existence, not the date IBM started shipping its CPU in volume. That's cheating.

Quote:

and people expect to see 3 Ghz machines in 4 months?!?

By the end of summer, which is September 21st if memory serves.

It doesn't seem that difficult to me: The 970 just underwent a die shrink to the process it was designed for in the first place. Unlike the G4, it's designed to clock high. It should have very little trouble scaling up.

Steve wouldn't have made a big to-do about 3GHz by summer if he wasn't damn sure it would happen. He stands to lose a lot of face if IBM doesn't deliver, and so does IBM.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

To be fair: we don't know the cause of the delays, it isn't necessarily availability of the 970FX.

That is true, but by extension we never know any of Apple's plans, release dates, and so on... But that's another issue.

Quote:

Motorola's delays were measured in years. They were almost three years behind the industry in moving to 130nm, for example.

However I think only once did Motorola have gap longer than 1 year between upgrades.

Quote:

By the end of summer, which is September 21st if memory serves.

Actually what he said was 3 Ghz within 12 months at the WWDC last July. That's why everyone's is harping on that date.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:

9 months without a peep

Yeah, what are you talking about? Does a die shrink not count? How many times did the G4 go through a die shrink? I would not start doubting IBM just yet. They are not going to spend 3 billion on a fab just to let it sit there and fail.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Actually what he said was 3 Ghz within 12 months at the WWDC last July. That's why everyone's is harping on that date.

And he "clarified" that at Paris Expo to be 3GHz by the end of Summer.