iPod3

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Here's an interesting video of what could possibly be in store for people in the future. Probably not all that realistic or practical but it looks pretty interesting as to what may be possible in a virtual world, or movie in this case.

http://66.216.122.95/_content/_reel/_movies/ispec.htm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Well...I won't lie to you, that scared me.

How about the iPod just stays the same?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    OMG, the return of Hot Sauce!

I'm not so sure I want an iPod that can kill me either.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

OMG, the return of Hot Sauce!

aka Project X.

In other words, the interface has been done before... by Apple... years ago.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    That's some damn fine CGI on the hotel scene. Holy !@#$....

What was that modeled/rendered in?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

That's some damn fine CGI on the hotel scene. Holy !@#$....

What was that modeled/rendered in?

I second that "Holy !@#$".

Pure talent.

[edit] God. That does it. I want to learn how to do 3D stuff. That is my inspiration. Meet me back here in 3 years and see what I can do.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    www.kdlab.net

custom shaders and renderer.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    apple sales call in 2024

Can i pre-orderthe new ipod?

and can I get the optional bomb-pen that explodes 5 seconds after the third clik?

...Yes, master-chip(plastic cards are old school) experation date? thats 02/2024, and, credit limit, Im thinking, the national debt, and delivery destination, aw hell just beam it to MR. Bill Gates II, Redmond, Wa the system will do the rest.

thanks and have a good dav Mr sales robot.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    That has to be the most awesome fake movie I've ever seen...

(Nice subtle detail of putting in the HP plus in the beginning)
  • Reply 9 of 28
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Wait, that bit in the hotel was rendered??!?!?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Apple's browser that did this was actually pretty fun to use.. I remember the demo which came with a MacWorld CD... Fun fun for a 14 year old child... Those were the days!
  • Reply 11 of 28
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Fraid so

Imagine what things will be like in 5-20 years.

Entire movies might be re-created in CGI and made interactive so that the viewer is immersed. CG actors can recreate the performances of the originals and you can be standing there 5 feet away as the movie unfolds around you in perfect detail.

Not to mention interactive movies in which you are the actor. Sure, we aren't there yet as far as the interactivity (not beyond mere video games) but it'll happen.

Still waiting for more immersive display technology though. Screens, even goggles are not the way. Need direct stimulation of the optic nerve or some such to evolve. Screens are just a stepping stone to that.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Very very impressive rendering there....
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Apple's browser that did this was actually pretty fun to use.. I remember the demo which came with a MacWorld CD... Fun fun for a 14 year old child... Those were the days!

There was a demo?!? Oh, man... head... about... to....... explo
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Fraid so

Imagine what things will be like in 5-20 years.

Entire movies might be re-created in CGI and made interactive so that the viewer is immersed. CG actors can recreate the performances of the originals and you can be standing there 5 feet away as the movie unfolds around you in perfect detail.

<Homer>MMMMM..... interactive movies.....</Homer> Should be interesting in the theaters
  • Reply 15 of 28
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Here's an interesting video of what could possibly be in store for people in the future. Probably not all that realistic or practical but it looks pretty interesting as to what may be possible in a virtual world, or movie in this case.

http://66.216.122.95/_content/_reel/_movies/ispec.htm

awesome video i love watching quicktimes on my new tibook
  • Reply 16 of 28
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

There was a demo?!? Oh, man... head... about... to....... explo

It was downloadable by anyone. It wasn't that spectacular. Basically you open a page and all the hyperlinks within are represented in a mock spatial/fly-through environment.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

It was downloadable by anyone. It wasn't that spectacular. Basically you open a page and all the hyperlinks within are represented in a mock spatial/fly-through environment.

Oh. <looks around> Ok then. I'll just go sit over there for a while.

Edit: Oh yeah, that thing. I found a screenshot on ye grand ole' internet and it jogged my memory. Fun stuff, but not functional enough to really be useful (else we'd be using it).
  • Reply 18 of 28
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

While good, I knew it the first second I saw it. There were a few tell-tale problems, namely they didn't round a few corners -- on the hanging lights in particular -- and the fire was a 2D surface with a dynamic texture. There are no perfect edges in nature.

What was more impressive was the scene at the end with the glasses. That was near perfect.

By the way, if you read up on these guys, it's a case study in the verification of my hypothesis that a design-centric education is a waste of time.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

By the way, if you read up on these guys, it's a case study in the verification of my hypothesis that a design-centric education is a waste of time.

Either your reading comprehension is bad or being an architect just isn't what it used to be. What part of "masters degree in architecture" is not a design education?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I didn't think the render looked that good at all. It was real blurry with every camera move, but the beams, and stuff was over sharp, and the fire looked like sh*t. That's for starters. THe glasses looked good, as did the little intro, but I wasn't critiquing photorealism at that time either because I new it was CG.