Onion Rings or French Fries?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

At this place called Wegmans, which is painfully yuppified supermarket 'round these parts, they sell irradiated ground beef. Nothing better than a bleeding burger. The advertising poster says "Irradiated ground beef: cook it how you like it."

I love Wegman's! Around here, people just think it's a nice place to buy groceries. Good store layout, nice selection of food, regional store as opposed to the invading Wal-Mart supercenters, cashiers always have a Wegman's card on hand to save you a few cents. The Scranton/ Wilkes-Barre area is also decidedly un-yuppie-ific, so we don't think too much of it that way.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

I was a carnivore before I read this post.

But suddenly I think I've become an herbivore.

Aw c'mon, not ready to be a Masai herdsman?

The Masai are a nomadic tribe in Africa that live in much part on cow's milk and blood. They don't farm anything appreciable, the land won't take it - they scavenge some vegetable matter, but most of their nutrition comes from milk that they get from their herds, (which *can* eat the scrub brush), and (this is the fun part) blood that they bleed off the cattle every day. They keep a vein available on each animal that is opened on a regular enough basis to never fully heal. Blood on tap. The milk and blood are mixed, and consumed.

Almost no veggies.

Compare that with vegans, and it's pretty obvious we're built to handle just about anything diet-wise.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Aw c'mon, not ready to be a Masai herdsman?

The Masai are a nomadic tribe in Africa that live in much part on cow's milk and blood. They don't farm anything appreciable, the land won't take it - they scavenge some vegetable matter, but most of their nutrition comes from milk that they get from their herds, (which *can* eat the scrub brush), and (this is the fun part) blood that they bleed off the cattle every day. They keep a vein available on each animal that is opened on a regular enough basis to never fully heal. Blood on tap. The milk and blood are mixed, and consumed.

Almost no veggies.

Compare that with vegans, and it's pretty obvious we're built to handle just about anything diet-wise.

Okay, my omnivoracious friend, I'll concede that we humans are built to handle just about anything.

I once saw a tv clip about "alternative cooking" to maximize protein in unlikely and easily-affordable ways - one that could fit the bill in lots of third-world places.

They whipped up a mouthwatering dish of rice and termites in a skillet. Looked positively delectable!

And I *was* thinking of joining the Masai once, but when I heard I would have to rise at dawn every morning, crawl on top the hut and smear onto it a new coat of fresh, steaming, pungent cow-pie material, I regretfully declined the offer. Er...I did mention on another thread that I'm not a 'morning person', right?
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Mix some quality mayonnaise (not the low-fat garbage), with hot paprika.

...or mayo with mustard.

Speaking of fries, which fries do you think are the best?

a. deep fried straight-cut ones

b. deep fried with some stuff on them (kinda like KFC)

c. McDonald's

d. oven-baked

e. oven baked - spiced up.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

I love Wegman's! Around here, people just think it's a nice place to buy groceries. Good store layout, nice selection of food, regional store as opposed to the invading Wal-Mart supercenters, cashiers always have a Wegman's card on hand to save you a few cents. The Scranton/ Wilkes-Barre area is also decidedly un-yuppie-ific, so we don't think too much of it that way.

Interestingly, I HATE Wegmans aside from the interesting meats they sell. I find the store layout to be awful, as it takes way too long to find what you need and get out. At least for the one near Princeton, they tried to give it this marketplace kind of feel, and the place reeks of small-engine-option Porsche SUV.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Interestingly, I HATE Wegmans aside from the interesting meats they sell. I find the store layout to be awful, as it takes way too long to find what you need and get out. At least for the one near Princeton, they tried to give it this marketplace kind of feel, and the place reeks of small-engine-option Porsche SUV.