Does Apple need to make a PDA?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, several arguments here...

1. No, it's not apple's thing

2. No, Apple should just keep iSync working with available PDAs.

3. No, Apple should just write an OS for one.

4. Yes, Apple needs to make something entirely new.

I'm starting to lean toward #3, myself. I would have liked to see #4, but I really don't think its necessary. Maybe if Hp could settle for iPods, Apple could settle for iPaqs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    They already did, and rarely does the company go backwards...
  • Reply 2 of 37
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I like number 3 and I think Apple can make an Aqua PDA interface happen. I made some mockups a while ago so I'll post them up.

All screens are half VGA (320x480)

The dock should be static and used for Apple applications. Most PDA users don't go beyond the apps shipped with the PDA. Of course there should be an option to turn certain apps off in the dock and replace with apps of your choice. The other option is to have a scrolling dock.

This is a sample of what the Address book may look like.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Steve did promise a replacement for the Newton one year after he canned it. Apple is so late in delivering on that promise that most people have even forgotten he made it. Also, don't forget that he tried to buy Palm.

I think he underestimated exactly how much work it would take to get OS X up to full speed (by several years) and exactly how long it would take to make a successor.

It's widely said that Steve hated the Newton, but remember that he thinks in terms of entire machines. He loved the eMate, which is a Newton in a clamshell with a keyboard, so his labelling the Newton a "scribble machine" has little or nothing to do with the platform's nature and potential and more to do with the fact that he didn't like the Newton handheld's particular implementation. It's also worth noting that the first iBook was an obvious homage to the eMate, and that it's targeted at the same market the eMate was. Consider also that the portable market is really taking off right now on all fronts. And this is the place to look: The PDA market is moribund, and able to be absorbed by cellphones and iPods. PDAs just don't do enough well enough.

There are still things like 802.15 that will make a Newton successor even more attractive that are still in process. But I think the technologies required and the market required are both getting there, if they're not already there.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Steve did promise a replacement for the Newton one year after he canned it.

Damnit, Apple's removed all the old press releases from their web site so I can't link to the Newton one. But it basically said Apple will introduce a product to renew their commitment to mobile education started with the eMate.

Which, IMHO, was the iBook. Not a new PDA. That's just my opinion.

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 37
    I think the PDA's killer app will be the micro Hard drive, like it was for the MP3 player market. A PDA that can not only display media rich content, but create it would be killer. Consider these scenarios:

Imagine connecting a digital camera to your PDA, download the hi-res pictures to it, resize and watermark them on site, and emailing them back to the office, or print them straight to a wireless printer.

Imagine connecting a video camera to your PDA, editing it in iMovie mini and inserting a clip into a Keynote presentation that will be displayed on a projector. Or brought home to show on the TV?

Imagine Apple partnering with an internet company to wirelessly have you connect to QuicktimeTV content (with expanded programing), VOIP using wireless bluetooth headsets, and internet/email.

Granted all this can be done with laptops but the size of PDA devices and their costs make this very attractive.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

[According to a press release] Apple will introduce a product to renew their commitment to mobile education started with the eMate.

Which, IMHO, was the iBook.

I'll buy that, even if it torpedoes my line of speculation.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I still believe Apple will come up with some sort of mobile phone / pda (Newton2) hybrid device. Steve alluded that most everybody has a mobile phone (iSync introduction) which might have been a hint. Same thing happened during iTunes intro, listing a reasonable number of pre-iPod MP3 devices. Worldwide mobile network standards are just around the corner, so feasability shouldn't be an issue. That is a huge market with great potential. Apple has already been working with mobile phone manufacturers and network providers for multimedia and quicktime support.... so:

Kewl mobile device - compact and elegant design ala iPod

Built in video cam and color screen

MacOS X mobile with Inkwell and Quicktime support

3GSM (or whatever standard)

iChat AV mobile

Address Book

Calendar

iSync

Just imagine having a single device that would allow you everything a mobile phone is currently capable of, plus iChat AV'ing with other mobile phones as well as regular Macs, PDA features, Mac apps, etc...

Doable? Yes.

Expensive? Yes - we are used to it, windows now learning that quality costs mucho money

Who would buy it? Lots of Mac users, for sure.

Cross platform support? Sure, just like the current iPod (it would probably be a high margin thingie anyway)

License the thing to network providers? NO DOUBT. Let's wait and see how the HPiPod does... test bench for future Apple technologies and deals.

Build it in house? Not necessarily.

Who wants one right now? I do.

• Reply 8 of 37
    The ideal PDA from Apple would do/be the following-

3G Cellular/802 wireless/bluetooth phone

Addressbook, mail, iCAl, iChat, iTunes, bookmarks syncable

home directory syncable (and usable as a home directory)

GPS with detialed mapping

infrared (with universal remote)

4 gigs or more (iPod mini hard drive)

voice recorder

Firewire and/or USB 2

2 compact flash slots (for memory + expansion)

At least a full day battery life (nonstop use)

VGA resolution (yes, it would still fit in most pockets)

light

So the big question is whether any other PDA will hit all of these points in the near future. The use of large hard drives is kinda Apples thing, but I would guess others will follow.

I do think there is good reason for Apple to build there own. I think a 6 inch screened PDA, possibly even with two screens that fold out, could be the ideal "school pad" enabling Apple to really offer a feasible paper-free school package.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Answer to original Question....

NO
  • Reply 10 of 37
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Apple may not need to make a PDA...

...BUT I COULD SURE USE THE DAMNED THING!

Aries 1B
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Yea, one day it'd be great to get something faster than the (Newton) 2100 ... \
  • Reply 12 of 37
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I've recently become a believer in the PDA form. The technologies are coming along to make it worthwhile. With a 1-1.8" HDD, wireless connectivity and killer handwriting recogniton it would rock.

Basically, I want a digital moleskin with a built in voice recorder. It could even have two screens that open up and face each other. Something I can write notes on while on the go, that will play my tunes and store my pics, and sync with my cell phone to send/recieve mail. It doesn't need to be a phone, so long as it has a great rendezvous support, something that creates the fabled PAN (personal area network).
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I've recently become a believer in the PDA form...It could even have two screens that open up and face each other.

I've started to think this could be the Apple touch that no one else is thinking about. Having two screens is almost a necessity for a PDA that could address the education market. One screen for reading material, another for problems/notes.

6" wide screens, each VGA resolution, opens like a paperbook (I'm sure that appeals to Apple's design ethic).

Quote:

It doesn't need to be a phone, so long as it has a great rendezvous support, something that creates the fabled PAN (personal area network).

Here I disagree. While a cheap, phoneless, education market version might be a good idea, I think Steve recognizes the need for PDA-phone fusion.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

This is a sample of what the Address book may look like.

Dude, those mock-ups Roxxor Mye Fazzce Off!

<jubelum beams with delight>

• Reply 15 of 37
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I've started to think this could be the Apple touch that no one else is thinking about. Having two screens is almost a necessity for a PDA that could address the education market. One screen for reading material, another for problems/notes.

6" wide screens, each VGA resolution, opens like a paperbook (I'm sure that appeals to Apple's design ethic).

Here I disagree. While a cheap, phoneless, education market version might be a good idea, I think Steve recognizes the need for PDA-phone fusion.

Absolutely about the phone integration; no question.

But I question how comfortable looking at two screens with a border between them would be. I mean, you could (mugger app ((not killer app)) warning) split the screen by means of software and Inkwell (It's a noun! It's a verb!...) your notes on the side for review later, drag and drop text from the page and write your own brilliant (hardworking in my case) elaboration with sketches.

Goddamnit, but this thing could be great!

First they find Sednia (or what ever the 10th planet is called) and now Matsu is coming around to the PDA form factor. I'm at a loss as to which is the more earthshaking development....

Aries 1B
  • Reply 16 of 37
    nevoznevoz Posts: 44member
    Remember guys..

technology is important, form factor too (Matsu knows: i am a moleskine form fan too) but Apple have to invent a killer app.

music is for ipod

pim is not enough for a pda.. we know.. there is cellphone

3G is near.. in italy and uk there is 3G and the videophone can be used for videochat with other videophone and pc, surf the web, addressbook, games and even gps, watch tv (it looks very good) or download music and listen it..

Only with one device... if they only put a toshiba HD in it... they could be the perfect digital gadget... there will be two size: one small for consumer and one big for business...

apple have to challenge this gadgets..

what is the market for a new digital device?

I think travelling.. people spend a lot in travelling and info (maps, hotels, museum and so on)

But there is even wifi and internet or drawing.. or writing... or video
  • Reply 17 of 37
    sorhedsorhed Posts: 38member
    3GHZ ALUMINUM NEWTON IPODS BY THE END OF SUMMER - CONFIRMED!
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by sorhed

3GHZ ALUMINUM NEWTON IPODS BY THE END OF SUMMER - CONFIRMED!

WHAAA?!
  • Reply 19 of 37
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    I recently updated my Motorola V70 for a SonyEricsson T630 . The phone is the best ive used, but does have some limitations such as memory, and if you really want to be critical a substandard camera.

But the phone looks great- ipod like in white, syncs with isync, bluetooth, use it as remote controller for your laptop. I tried the PDA P800 but it was too baulky for 24/7 use, and I know from experience with the Newton 2100 about PDA's, which is why the PDA business is shrinking.

But imagine if the T630 had 2-4G of memory so I can store enough mp3's, where I can buy direct from the iTMS remotely. These T630's are not cheap, they sell for more than ipods, so there is plenty of margin for Apple, and they can be snapped up by customers on a purchase plan.

Call it the iPod 2 - but this should be the next model up. And if its designed as well as the SonyEricsson (its Apple!) it should be a real hit!

PS. Sony have announced the K700 with even more impressive features and note the use of iMacs with this product instead of a Sony PC.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Very interesting.

the best quote from the article:

Quote:

In an emailed response, a Stone Multimedia representative said that "Apple is not even close" to relaunching the Newton, and that at the moment, a US company "approached Apple willing to buy [the] Newton and relaunch it. They are in ... negotiations with Apple," the rep said.

Possible companies?

Sony? With Nokia possibly buying Symbian and Palm not being up to the task of competing with future PocketPC, they may see this Newton technology as very promising.

Palm? PalmOS 6 is not much different than 5. An infusion of new ideas? Doubtful but possible.

HP? Dell's Axioms are doing to the iPaqs what Dell PC's did to Compaq and HP PC's. With the new Apple/HP partnership in music, it may extend to handhelds also.