Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    kinda neat. It's an original take on the look I'll give you that much. It's almost Appleish. Pretty cool.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Interesting. But the next gen iPod will be using the new "patent pending" scroll wheel. There won't be any more buttons above it. See the new mini for what it will look like (albeit larger in size).
  • Reply 3 of 43
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    um, before brad gets in here and beats you to death, i should warn you that images need to be a little smaller if you're going to post them in-line like that. otherwise, just link to them with a URL.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Interesting. But the next gen iPod will be using the new "patent pending" scroll wheel. There won't be any more buttons above it. See the new mini for what it will look like (albeit larger in size).

Yeah, but in this mock-up, the scroll-wheel is supposedly on a touch-screen that spans the whole of the front face of the iPod -- no way of building clickable buttons into that then.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'm telling ya, brad will be here any second, and i am not cleaning up the thread again... took me a week to get out the stains last time... i keep telling him "why an axe when a steak knife works just as well without all the blood-slinigng arcs..."

anyway, other thing is... apple has finally realized that the click wheel is the right compromise between the touch pad and the first-generation solid-state jog wheel. therefore, i am not buying an ipod until the click wheel makes its debut (i would assume pretty soon). so unless there are some wicked advances in cheaply creating plastics that can also serve as displays, the above picture is pretty far out there. well, at least a few years.

• Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i'm telling ya...

*poof!* You called, sir?

Note to nsousansousa:

Don't post giant images inline with your post. They distort the page horribly for people with smaller (read: normal-sized) windows.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

*poof!* You called, sir?

Note to nsousansousa:

Don't post giant images inline with your post. They distort the page horribly for people with smaller (read: normal-sized) windows.

Indeed, they do distort it horribly, haha.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    sorhedsorhed Posts: 38member
    the minipod makes the ipod look archaic. look to the minipod to see the next ipod design.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Yes. I just realized it's a touch screen. Won't happen. Gets too dirty and won't work on such a small scale I think. Also why do we need color? How many people continuosly look at the iPod screen while listening? Uses too much power and adds unecessary cost in my opinon.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sorhed

the minipod makes the ipod look archaic. look to the minipod to see the next ipod design.

I'll take this and run with it: the miniPod is the 4th gen iPod (1: Original, 2:Scroll wheel, 3: Buttons, 4: Mini). Hitachi and time will bring it up to its predecessors' capacity.

Meanwhile the (big) iPod, might become something else... (my magic eightball ran out of power).

Screed
  • Reply 11 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'd like to see the iPod simply go to the mini design, with some new colors (orange, blood red, and "original iPod white").

I wish you could get an iPod mini with 15GB or 20GB storage. I'd buy one yesterday.

In either case, one of two things will happen when I finally break down and buy the 20GB iPod:

1. They'll make an orange 10GB iPod mini for $199

or

2. They'll make the $299 15GB model available with the dock, wired remote and carrying case.

Maybe I'll just buy one of those shitty 128MB things from Target...

• Reply 12 of 43
    sorhedsorhed Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

I'll take this and run with it: the miniPod is the 4th gen iPod (1: Original, 2:Scroll wheel, 3: Buttons, 4: Mini). Hitachi and time will bring it up to its predecessors' capacity.

Meanwhile the (big) iPod, might become something else... (my magic eightball ran out of power).

Screed

I'lI run it the extra-mile...

I agree, eventually, the minipod will be the main ipod, and a new larger form factor will become the theoretical 'PowerPod' which will be a DV and DA storage device connectable to any existing DV camera.

Imagine the convenience of having your captured DV or SLR-digital stills already on a HD from the moment of capture - previewable on a built-in LCD for quick reference, or capable of playback on a TV/Monitor.

It wont be called the PowerPod tho, the name doesnt have the right ring to it, even if it does fulfill the Apple naming conventions.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Well, the issue about a "vPod" has been fought over again and again. The chief point is the size of it versus the viewability of video in a small screen. (Although the scroll wheel would function wonderfully as a "scrubbing dial" -- ff'ing video and back ). A vPod playing the part of a portable media server also has appeal. The fear might be that it would eat into portable sales depending on the Specs:Price ratio.

Anyone recall the "Zen of Palm?" Simply, it was K.I.S.S. philosophy for hardware and software. The iPod has steadfastly clung to this idea (for the better). The miniPod preserves this while leaving its bigger cousin free to grow.

Grow where is the rub.

Screed
  • Reply 14 of 43
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Nice images, nsousansousa.

I'm waiting for the 10 gig mini. Same current price point. Orange would be cool.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I'm waiting for the 10 gig mini. Same current price point. Orange would be cool.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I am still woring on the image, namely completing the phone part.

The idea is that the entire Ipod is a color screen that "morphs" into the 3 different devices( GPS, Phone, Ipod).

I say "morph" because there is no user acessible OS . Just clicking a top button , not show yet :-) , toggles the ipod into other "modes".

Regards

Nuno
  • Reply 16 of 43
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I think we can all agree, the next gen is click wheel... maybe even smaller form factor as drives are improving and you get to kick four buttons off the Pod. We'll see in awhile. I don't see 4G iPods all that soon. (Months, not weeks) Get ready to pay a premium for that orange one..

--------------

JubelumWire- MARCH 15, 2004

In other news, Microsoft (Quote, Financials) today purchased the color Orange, from God for an undisclosed amount. Some have put the cost as high as eleven trillion US dollars. It is unclear what plans Microsoft has for the color, which is a secondary color. Calls to God concerning Red and Yellow were unreturned.

"I think this will be a great addition to our offerings, with Apple kicking our butts with that gray-brushed-metal thing," said Guido Ballmer, a coffee bitch in Redmond. Some industry insiders (NOT Anderle) believe this is a push to eventually own the University of Texas (with their "Longhorn" mascot and burnt orange school colors).

--------------
  • Reply 17 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If anyone is going to be buying the color orange from God, it'll be me...everyone here knows that.

It'll be me, not those puddingheads from Redmond.

Besides, I've already got an offer on the table...we're just haggling over some small details.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

Work in progress ! Enjoy !

http://homepage.esoterica.pt/~nsousa/cards/ipod4.jpg

very nicely done friend i like it!!
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

very nicely done friend i like it!!

Thanks.

Updated the mockup some more...but it's still very rough...
  • Reply 20 of 43
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Here's my idea for a video iPod or iPod AV:

Features a 2" color screen, either backlit LCD or OLED, 50GB HD, new dock (not shown) has audio/video out to TV. Can play slide shows with music and can play movies. Anyway, just an idea.