Updated imac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm thinking of switching from PC to imac. However, I'm unfamiliar with the Mac product release model. The current imac 17? components have been in production for about 6 months I think. Does anyone now when to expect the updated model or upgraded components, i.e. faster with more memory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    A new iMac should be released any time now, probably no later than mid April.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

A new iMac should be released any time now, probably no later than mid April.

With Apples current focus on the iPod, I seriously doubt it.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

With Apples current focus on the iPod, I seriously doubt it.

No, with the promotions and such ending THIS month, there is no reason to doubt it. Dont be so misguided based on what Apple and the media is highlighting in the moment. Jobs likes to be on the cover of magazines, the iPod wont get him there anymore. The new stuff is coming, be patient.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johns

I'm thinking of switching from PC to imac. However, I'm unfamiliar with the Mac product release model. The current imac 17? components have been in production for about 6 months I think. Does anyone now when to expect the updated model or upgraded components, i.e. faster with more memory.

You might want to check http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ on that.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I think the new iMac will be fairly soon. The Apple computer priorities, in my opinion are:

1. 10.3.3 (now released) probably needed for the 90 nm chips.

2. The 90 nm PM, probably in a week or two

3. 90 nm iMac

4. eMac in time for education sales

5. iBook

The fact is that summer will be when the 3 gig is announced, and probably the G5 PB. Between now and then Apple will need excitement in the market, which will be an upgraded iPod and the iMac. To me it is critically important that Apple moves on the iMac before summer to boost sales in that market - and I'm speaking as someone waiting to buy a 20" G5 and a very small shareholder.

After going to 90 nm I can see the PM as the dual range, with one slow single G5 and the iMac as the single G5 range.

Following that I see upgrades to the iBook and eMac. The eMac needs to be introduced in time to get education dollars and the iMac has to come before that. The iBook would then be the only product to upgrade and Apple will not wait that long.

Steve said 2004 would be one hell of a year and I see most effort between now and the summer announcements of the 3 gig and G5 PB. They are ready and now it is all about generating excitement and sales as soon as possible in order to have one hell of a year. Waiting until summer/fall for the iMac does not make sense.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    There is no doubt that the iMac is in desperate need of an upgrade. I think its the #1 priority IMO.

The PM's need to be bumped very soon also as Apple needs to prove that IBM will be able to indeed scale the G5, unlike what Moto did with the G4.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    sooo much of the apple line-up needs to be updated its unreal. which do they pick first...
  • Reply 8 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

There is no doubt that the iMac is in desperate need of an upgrade. I think its the #1 priority IMO.

I would not say that so easily. I still remember what happened with the iMac FP back in 2002, its very first year in this world.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I think the new iMac will be fairly soon. The Apple computer priorities, in my opinion are:

1. 10.3.3 (now released) probably needed for the 90 nm chips.

2. The 90 nm PM, probably in a week or two

3. 90 nm iMac

4. eMac in time for education sales

5. iBook

The fact is that summer will be when the 3 gig is announced, and probably the G5 PB. Between now and then Apple will need excitement in the market, which will be an upgraded iPod and the iMac. To me it is critically important that Apple moves on the iMac before summer to boost sales in that market - and I'm speaking as someone waiting to buy a 20" G5 and a very small shareholder.

After going to 90 nm I can see the PM as the dual range, with one slow single G5 and the iMac as the single G5 range.

Following that I see upgrades to the iBook and eMac. The eMac needs to be introduced in time to get education dollars and the iMac has to come before that. The iBook would then be the only product to upgrade and Apple will not wait that long.

Steve said 2004 would be one hell of a year and I see most effort between now and the summer announcements of the 3 gig and G5 PB. They are ready and now it is all about generating excitement and sales as soon as possible in order to have one hell of a year. Waiting until summer/fall for the iMac does not make sense.

Why the ibook at 5 it should be powerbook. The powerbook updates always come before the ibooks updates. The ibook just wnt to the G4. The powerbook wll see the G5 chip first then the ibook later.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

sooo much of the apple line-up needs to be updated its unreal. which do they pick first...

The whole damm lot of them - and all at once!.

PMacs to 2.5G

PBooks to G5 @ 1.6G or higher

iMacs to G5 @ 1.6G or higher

eMacs to 1.25G G4 or higher

iBooks to 1G G4 or higher

Did I miss anything?.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

The whole damm lot of them - and all at once!.

PMacs to 2.5G

PBooks to G5 @ 1.6G or higher

iMacs to G5 @ 1.6G or higher

eMacs to 1.25G G4 or higher

iBooks to 1G G4 or higher

Did I miss anything?.

Yes, How about Ipod
  • Reply 12 of 23
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Well, I did miss the fact that this is an iMac thread!. I do suspect that either Apple updates alot of its products at once or starts from the top down and spread over a period of time - damm i hope not.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I think that the new I mac will start with clockspeed much faster than 1,6. 1,8 is the minimal and i will bet for 2 ghz.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I think that the new I mac will start with clockspeed much faster than 1,6. 1,8 is the minimal and i will bet for 2 ghz.

Good one, especially seeing the news from yesterday! I will wait for the imac G5 before replacing my beige G3
  • Reply 15 of 23
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Just because Cupertino is heavily promoting the iPod and iTMS doesn't mean a new iMac cannot be coming out soon. I don't know why some think that the company can't chew gum and walk at the same time (he said facetiously). First off, Apple is not a one product company. Second the iPod and iMac are being manufactured by different vendors for Apple. Hey, Apple can even update the PowerMac, introduce new software and maybe a new product (the recent iPod mini) all within a few months. No problemo.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Just because Cupertino is heavily promoting the iPod and iTMS doesn't mean a new iMac cannot be coming out soon....No problemo.

Only problemo is the new Motorola chip, which, quite likely, will be used in the new iMac. Somewhere around summer.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Only problemo is the new Motorola chip, which, quite likely, will be used in the new iMac. Somewhere around summer.

Or iBooks?

I'd much rather see those chips end up in the iBook line, rather than keeping the iMac G4.

If Apple can streamline their product matrix this year, it might make purchasing products far, far easier.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    johnsjohns Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Good one, especially seeing the news from yesterday! I will wait for the imac G5 before replacing my beige G3

What was the news about?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Or iBooks?

I'd much rather see those chips end up in the iBook line, rather than keeping the iMac G4.

No, at present the faster iBook has a 1 GHz G4 in it. No way to update a consumer notebook by 50% increase in the processor clock frequency at once.

I believe that the next iBook iteration will have the 7447 G4 (currently in the Powerbooks) at 1 and 1.25 GHz.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

No way to update a consumer notebook by 50% increase in the processor clock frequency at once.

It *might* be possible if both the iMac and Powerbook line go G5 this year.

That's what I'd like to see, but I agree with you that the iBooks will probably go 1Ghz-1.25Ghz.