Apple's new "Spoken Interface"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    I'm not convinced it's much better than Vicky... Apple's seems to 'pop' a bit more, but she sounds better than Crystal in my opinion. Mike was pretty decent though
  • Reply 22 of 24
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Speech recog hasn't made one bit of progress since 1994. I remember my dad bringing home a PowerMac 6100 60/AV one day. That ****in' thing was impressive back in 1994. I showed my mom and dad how I could speak commands and the computer would answer back or do something on screen. And everyone lost their mother****in' minds. "Computer, what...time...is...it."

I told them..."One day it'll understand without me speaking slowly and clearly...the future is here"...boy was I wrong. Nothing has changed!!! NOTHING!

Not to mention I could watch TV on my Mac, out-of-the-****in'-box. That has actually changed for the worse...but that's also another story.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Weird. I must have 'the Mac voice' or something. I just speak naturally and at my usual rapid pace, and it gets it perfect almost every time.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    This is really pretty big news. Programs such JAWS are required for testing section 508 compliance, which is accessability for govenemnt sites. This is supposed to be supported by eductional sites as well. This could put the Mac in the forefront of computers used for accessability. Because it is built into the OS I

it will be more likely that these sites will be tested for accessability on Macs, and will definatly make it less expensive for developers to test for compliance on Macs. This could give Apple an edge in government and eduction sales.

Added bonus for Apple, Microsoft might have a hard time integrating this technology into their OS becouse there are other companies that make this software specifically for PC's. If Microsoft were to try to do this they would open themselves up to more anti-trust cases, and at $1000 a license for some of the current software these developers will not be real happy if Microsoft tries to take their bread and butter away from them.