Microsoft's "iPod killer"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

The thing is the ipod works on mac and windows. While apple's competiters only works on windows. When the competiters make their mp3 players mac compandable things will get interesting. But, I doubt that. Thats why the ipod will never be killed.

Not quite. Have you checked the Apple market share recently. We're sub 3% right now. 3% of people aren't going to make anything interesting. The iPod's reign will continue, but not because other players don't work with a Mac, that has very little to do with it. It has everything to do with the fact that NO ONE can make a player even as close to as good as the iPod.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Not quite. Have you checked the Apple market share recently. We're sub 3% right now. 3% of people aren't going to make anything interesting. The iPod's reign will continue, but not because other players don't work with a Mac, that has very little to do with it. It has everything to do with the fact that NO ONE can make a player even as close to as good as the iPod.

What would checking marketshare ascertain? Statistics with no relative base are worthless. PCs are used in so many vertical areas, simply taking worldwide marketshare as a way of extrapolating date regarding the viability of a digital player is tom foolery. The statistics that we need are desktop and to further stratfify "internet connected" desktops. You will find Apples strenghts and market penetration are much higher than %3 here. Anytime I hear or read sub 3% marketshare bandied about I know I'm being manipulated because it should not and cannot be used in meaninful ways to describe the potential for desktop apps and hardware.

There are literally millions of computers that will never have one usb device hooked up or have a digital Jukebox installed. These computers are servers and terminals and POS terminals that are counted as PC sales but have such a narrow functions it's not worth counting them as a potential.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

[snip]

I was addressing Quagmire and his incorrect notion that making other Digital Music players Mac compatible would help them kill the iPod. I'm aware that the market share data is inaccurate because of servers and things like that. I was just telling quag that he is wrong about Mac users having a lot of power in the computer world. One of the reasons that the iPod is so big is because it works with both Mac and PC. But it doesn't work the other way around, there isn't enough Mac users out there to make a huge difference in sales if one of the other players was compatible with Macs.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Whoops! This one certainly slipped under the radar.

Moving to Digital Hub!
  • Reply 25 of 28
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Saw the Creative ddvice in Person at CeBIT yesterday. What it basically is is a Windows CE-based PDA with a new multimedia GUI (XP MCE-like) but stripped of all PDA funcionality. A decision I don't quite understand considering the hardware underneath (XScale at 400 MHz probably more).

I don't think mobile video watching will be a killer application since it will drain the battery really fast - and these devices don't even offer DVB-T (the upcoming television standard in Europe) reception. But I don't know how this concept will appeal to all the Windows users out there that believe in a "the-more-features-the-better"-paradigm.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Woooo!!!! They'll be as popular as tablets!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 27 of 28
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I think Microsoft should worry about making the Xbox profitable - their in over their head when it comes to the consumer electronics market.