good jam bands

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Silly me, I forgot to mention the tie-in between my two favorite jambands:

When Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule got married in 1997, he could have hired nearly any band he wanted to play his wedding reception. The band he chose to hire was The Radiators! Like other well-kept secrets of New Orleans Music such as The Neville Brothers and the funky Meters, the Rads have quite a legendary reputation among other performers - they are "musician's musicians".

One More Thing - no one has mentioned my third-favorite Jamband, and one of the originators of the Genre - Little Feat

FEAT! FEAT! FEAT!

Let It Roll...
  • Reply 42 of 46
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member

• Reply 43 of 46
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I meant to say that when I saw bands whose albums I liked they often did not jam . . . didn't improvise like the GDead or like teh jazz that I was listening to . . . I wanted to hear a more hard eged post-punk form of jamming (back when I cared about this stuff) and it took me going over to 80s NYC style jazz/punk/fusion and jazz to find it . . .

I liked the GDead but I got tired of how basic the improv was . . . it was always over three chord progressions . . . it was always within a certain boundary of experimentation etc etc

and what youngsters are calling 'jam bands' these days are basically post GDead rock bands with some show-off musicians (Phish . . . who's albums I find to be surprisingly terrible!) . .. and all of the dirt taken out of it (DMB) . . . I like it when the musicians push themselves to the boundaries of what they can do, AND, to what music is . . . . then it gets interesting.

What bands are you talking about? I have never seen the dead, but keller wiliams, the recipe, and to a degree rusted root all jamed when I saw them. Dave a little, but not as much just because that is only kind his thing. String cheese incident, I don't know, but I've heard live shows of them jamming, as well as phish, whose albums sucks compared to them live.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

What bands are you talking about? I have never seen the dead, but keller wiliams, the recipe, and to a degree rusted root all jamed when I saw them. Dave a little, but not as much just because that is only kind his thing. String cheese incident, I don't know, but I've heard live shows of them jamming, as well as phish, whose albums sucks compared to them live.

Well I'm an old fogey . . .I'm talking about when I used to care about going to shows and defined mself in terms of music . . . back in the early eighties through early nineties . . .

anyway, I heard Rusted Root . . . they sound awesome . . they're from Pittsburgh and they play them on the radio somethimes (I miss Pittsburgh)

I'm sur ethe other bands are good, but what little of contemporary Jam stuff I have heard (and it is very little) it sounds like variations of Intellectuals-playing-post-Grateful-dead stuff.

I'll give more a listen to if I can come across some . . . I tend to like live stuff best though
  • Reply 45 of 46
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

General tech discussion? Um, no. AppleOutsider it is, then.

Besides, we can use a break from the ****ing political threads.

Moving, with pleasure, now.

you're welcome murbot, i was getting sick of them too
  • Reply 46 of 46
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    The Spin Doctors-they're back together and touring this summer!

Jeff