Why is Flip flopping so bad?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

That's nice, but neither of those examples make kerry a bad presidential candidate in my eyes. Besides, the *last* thing I want people to do is go out of their way to defame him. If you don't support kerry, then give me a reason to support bush(or whoever), not a reason to not support kerry.

Besides, if you really want to mudsling, President bush did cocaine. I win.

x1000

resons to vote FOR BUSH:

1:terorisum, picture this:you wake up on 9-11-01 and al (mr. roboto)gore is president, that is scarry, look at what clinton did after the 93 wtc TERRORIST attack, and the 96 embasy bombings, and the USS Cole thats 3 -countem 3- unansered terror attacks under clinton, and kerry always backed clinton

2: taxes. time for ragenomics 101: Trickledown, Private citezens are better mony manegers than than pencil neck buracrats in D.C., the explanation is slightly more detailed but you get it.

3: no lies under oath...if clinton broke the oath in court, that shows me that all of his oaths mean nothing, thus what he says means nothing whereas with bush he means what he says, he is trustworthy, or honest!
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Rather have someone that flip-flops, than someone who lies and misleads on purpose on MAJOR life endangering issues

like every liberal who says that iraq is unilateral?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I think you hit the part on the head that has been used to slam Mr. Kerry though. You said someone should rethink the issue, admit they were wrong and then claim the new position.

Most of the flip-flopping on Mr. Kerry's seems to be nothing more than political convenience. There is no admission any of the previous positions were every wrong. He seems to take whatever position will get that persons vote.

That to me is the worst form of flip flopping. It doesn't improve the lot of anyone. It doesn't give us a more enlightened leader with better, more well thought out views, it just leads to someone who will possibly do anything in office since they said anything to get there.

Take a look at Kerry and his criticism of No Child Left Behind. Bush has piled tons more money into education. NCLB was enacted with the vote of Kerry and was decided by the Senate 87-10. That is hardly a partisan vote. Yet now it is evil because the Democrats/Kerry want it as an election issue again.

Certainly Republicans can do this as well, and likely have or do. But you asked why we (or in this case me) think flip-flopping is bad. Coming to a more enlightened, thought out view is fine. Doing it just to get the votes of a particular crowd, in a particular state on a particular night isn't.

Nick

thank you for your input.

But still, all politicians flip flop and play games to get more votes. And in that respect, it makes no sense for kerry to be getting such a hard time over it.

I haven't studied the issues at hand enough to comment, but many times I hear similar rebuttals to those that come once accusations of bush flip flopping is thrown down. essentially "kerry supported it when it was one thing, then the thing was changed, so he went against it"

I'm not saying I want a president that won't hold steady to his commitments, but I definitely don't want a president that always holds steady. I've said it before, ebb and flow. Some stances need reevaluating ya know?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:

thank you for your input.

But still, all politicians flip flop and play games to get more votes. And in that respect, it makes no sense for kerry to be getting such a hard time over it.

I haven't studied the issues at hand enough to comment, but many times I hear similar rebuttals to those that come once accusations of bush flip flopping is thrown down. essentially "kerry supported it when it was one thing, then the thing was changed, so he went against it"

I'm not saying I want a president that won't hold steady to his commitments, but I definitely don't want a president that always holds steady. I've said it before, ebb and flow. Some stances need reevaluating ya know?

bush did one majorflipflop last year, medicare drugs, and not to mention campeign finance reform (McCains to-hell-with-the-f***ing-constatution-it-just-gets-in-my-way bill)
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

resons to vote FOR BUSH:

1:terorisum, picture this:you wake up on 9-11-01 and al (mr. roboto)gore is president, that is scarry, look at what clinton did after the 93 wtc TERRORIST attack, and the 96 embasy bombings, and the USS Cole thats 3 -countem 3- unansered terror attacks under clinton, and kerry always backed clinton

I follow the teachings of gandhi and jesus. I don't support killing people, *particularly* not in a retaliatory sense

Quote:

2: taxes. time for ragenomics 101: Trickledown, Private citezens are better mony manegers than than pencil neck buracrats in D.C., the explanation is slightly more detailed but you get it.

Greed, people get some, they want more, trickledown theory is great in concept, but the problem is that people become misers far too easily. Particularly in this world of "hot deal!" "most bang for your buck!" "low prices!" people are being trained to ALWAYS look for deals and spend the minimum.

Quote:

3: no lies under oath...if clinton broke the oath in court, that shows me that all of his oaths mean nothing, thus what he says means nothing whereas with bush he means what he says, he is trustworthy, or honest! [/B]

okay, but he does call himself a christian

now, how about the topic that most interests me.

Why should I support bush, re: the environment?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Also, A_greer, I really would appreciate if you worked on your spelling. It's hard to take you seriously when you are misspelling words all the time. If there is a valid reason for your poor spelling, then I apologize in advance for approaching you, but if it's laziness, then I would strongly appreciate if you wouldn't be so lazy.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

people are being trained to ALWAYS look for deals and spend the minimum.

perhaps this is why macs have <5% share
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

perhaps this is why macs have <5% share

it's certainly a big reason.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

It is a nice quote, however, I don't think it should apply to the human equation. Math may have it's constants, but humanity does not.

I made that up for the "youngin's" at work. The thing about being consistent is you know what to expect. This may or may not be desirable in humans depending on the situation.

Here's a Ralph Waldo Emerson for you:

Quote:

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Note the "foolish" part. Maybe it implies that there are non-foolish consistencies?