Note to self, do not:

Shower in a public locker room

Have sex

Go to any parties

Associate with anyone who has ever exposed their God given parts

Remove any clothing, ever

Expose any midriff

Go out in public

How stupid do we get? We can't do anything anymore without fear of losing our jobs, getting kicked out of school, or being sued. Living in fear is no way to live.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Whose going to hire this woman to babysit your kids?

(if you aren't a "breeder" hold your peace)

SO. . . a woman gets drunk at a private party and flashes her pair.

Oh my, she was a school teacher? The world is coming to an end.

This really upsets me as well. However, there are a lot of really Puritan people in Florida, and my best guess is that this woman is not one of them, yet lives in a town with a lot of them. It's a sad, sad twist.

I'd hire her anytime. It's not like the kids are going to get her drunk and then encourage her to flash her boobs.

A few weeks ago I was driving through Dade county looking to buy some beer on a Sunday. It's amazing how one town will tell you that you can't buy beer on Sunday, but another town, in the same county, will sell you the beer no problem.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I think it's self-evident how important (and under-respected & under-compensated) the teaching profession is, and how ridiculous it is to drive the few remaining good teachers away based on what they do on their free time.

The only thing keeping this sort of teaching environment afloat is the fact that there are good teachers who regard their profession as a calling and are willing to take shit to keep their jobs. They are being ripped off. Though none of this is their fault, it might be better if they didn't exist. The system would then go down in flames and had to be rebuilt instead of band-aiding it.

Here in Finland, a lot of people go to a sauna in mixed company with no clothing whatsoever. Ponder that for a few seconds and think what this supposed "moral outrage" sounds like to me.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hey, where's Carol A to chime in on this one? It's got it all... teachers, sexual innuendo, moral outrage...

• Reply 25 of 57
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

[...]

Here in Finland, a lot of people go to a sauna in mixed company with no clothing whatsoever. Ponder that for a few seconds and think what this supposed "moral outrage" sounds like to me.

Indeed.

• Reply 26 of 57
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    I don't even know where to begin.

A teacher is not considered a normal person with a normal job.

A teacher cannot do things that other people get to do. It would be unseemly. It would be grounds for dismissal. I don't even know where to begin. Sigh.

A teacher cannot write letters to the editor about controversial topics. Oh well, you *CAN* write them; but be prepared for unending disapproval and subtle (and not-so-subtle) repercussions all the way up and down the line of administrators.

A (jr. high) teacher must watch EVERY single word spoken in class. Heaven forbid that a candid opinion about life in the real world slips out.

On Sept. 11, 2001, our school went into lockdown for several hours, meaning no doors could be opened for ANY reason, no one could leave or enter the room. The principal told the teachers we were NOT, repeat NOT, to talk with our students about what had happened that morning. Then he actually came around to each homeroom to make sure no such talk was happening. I mention this to show that life in the classroom is not quite 'real'.

Once at a school dance in the gym at which I was a chaperone, a polka was played, kind of as a joke. The band teacher asked me to dance, and we danced swiftly around the room. On Monday, a parent called the district office (!!!!) and complained that I, an unmarried teacher, had danced with a married teacher!!!!!

The thing is, the majority of the population of parents is normal and reasonable - by far. But all it takes is *one* ultra-conservative, self-righteous, eyebrows-continually-raised-to-the-sky parent to cause unbelievable upheaval.

A teacher out on the town does not get to act wild and crazy - what if she is (eek!) seen !!! Flashing one's breasts and having a picture taken around here would be grounds for the death penalty (ok...small, bitter joke ).

In fact, I get REALLY nervous from time to time about things I say on this board, coupled with the fact that I'm using my real name. How could I have been so stupid??!!!! Anybody else can say what they want, but not a teacher - especially not one using her *real* name. Our computers at school are monitored by the district, so I feel certain that my posts here have been read. I get SO tired of being paranoid.

Note to mod: if I change my name, will I lose all my posts?
  • Reply 27 of 57
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Hey, where's Carol A to chime in on this one? It's got it all... teachers, sexual innuendo, moral outrage...

Maybe this WAS Carol.

heh heh
  • Reply 28 of 57
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol B

I don't even know where to begin.

A teacher is not considered a normal person with a normal job.

A teacher cannot do things that other people get to do. It would be unseemly. It would be grounds for dismissal. I don't even know where to begin. Sigh.

A teacher cannot write letters to the editor about controversial topics. Oh well, you *CAN* write them; but be prepared for unending disapproval and subtle (and not-so-subtle) repercussions all the way up and down the line of administrators.

A (jr. high) teacher must watch EVERY single word spoken in class. Heaven forbid that a candid opinion about life in the real world slips out.

On Sept. 11, 2001, our school went into lockdown for several hours, meaning no doors could be opened for ANY reason, no one could leave or enter the room. The principal told the teachers we were NOT, repeat NOT, to talk with our students about what had happened that morning. Then he actually came around to each homeroom to make sure no such talk was happening. I mention this to show that life in the classroom is not quite 'real'.

Once at a school dance in the gym at which I was a chaperone, a polka was played, kind of as a joke. The band teacher asked me to dance, and we danced swiftly around the room. On Monday, a parent called the district office (!!!!) and complained that I, an unmarried teacher, had danced with a married teacher!!!!!

The thing is, the majority of the population of parents is normal and reasonable - by far. But all it takes is *one* ultra-conservative, self-righteous, eyebrows-continually-raised-to-the-sky parent to cause unbelievable upheaval.

A teacher out on the town does not get to act wild and crazy - what if she is (eek!) seen !!! Flashing one's breasts and having a picture taken around here would be grounds for the death penalty (ok...small, bitter joke ).

In fact, I get REALLY nervous from time to time about things I say on this board, coupled with the fact that I'm using my real name. How could I have been so stupid??!!!! Anybody else can say what they want, but not a teacher - especially not one using her *real* name. Our computers at school are monitored by the district, so I feel certain that my posts here have been read. I get SO tired of being paranoid.

Note to mod: if I change my name, will I lose all my posts?

I can do it, as you can check by yourself : just PM me if you want (or if you want back your old name).

Note this is a special request for good reasons : i will not do it, just to please someone. Thanks for you understanding.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Damn you, Kickaha!!!!! I resemble that remark!!!

That is....I mean....er....uh, let me re-phrase that....

How DARE you!!!!! You cad! You varlet! You scoundrel! You villain! You...you...splutter... hahaha
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Maybe this WAS Carol.

heh heh

Damn you, murbot!!! Where did you come from all of a sudden???

NO!!! It was not *I* !!!!

Nyah, nyah, nyah! So there !!!!! 8)
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I think it's self-evident how important (and under-respected & under-compensated) the teaching profession is, and how ridiculous it is to drive the few remaining good teachers away based on what they do on their free time.

The only thing keeping this sort of teaching environment afloat is the fact that there are good teachers who regard their profession as a calling and are willing to take shit to keep their jobs. They are being ripped off. Though none of this is their fault, it might be better if they didn't exist. The system would then go down in flames and had to be rebuilt instead of band-aiding it.

Hi Gon -

Uh, guess what? I am half Finnish. My dad is 100% Finnish, though born in the US. His father was born in Finland. My dad's first language was Finnish, though I don't speak any at all. I've never been to Finland either.

This whole repressed-sexuality thing in America comes right down to us from the Puritans. England got rid of them, and they washed up on our shores, to our unending misfortune. What a sad, sad turn of events.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I saw this and thought, that isn't right.

Absolutely agree. How the hell is this her employer's business?

Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

if you aren't a "breeder" hold your peace

Why so? Since when are adoptive parents not entitled to have an opinion?
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I can do it, as you can check by yourself : just PM me if you want (or if you want back your old name).

Note this is a special request for good reasons : i will not do it, just to please someone. Thanks for you understanding.

Dear Powerdoc -

You are very sweet to offer to help. Thank you.

However, I don't think "Carol B" is much of a disguise. heh.

I've used my real name because I find it troublesome to come up with another name that I can live with.

Anybody have any suggestions?

(BE NICE NOW, YOU GUYS !!!!!)

How about 'Jamie'? I've always liked that name.

But then everyone will think I'm a guy, right? \ Sigh.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol B

Dear Powerdoc -

You are very sweet to offer to help. Thank you.

However, I don't think "Carol B" is much of a disguise. heh.

I've used my real name because I find it troublesome to come up with another name that I can live with.

Anybody have any suggestions?

(BE NICE NOW, YOU GUYS !!!!!)

How about 'Jamie'? I've always liked that name.

But then everyone will think I'm a guy, right? \ Sigh.

Carol B, was not a real disguise, but just a test

I am going to bed now, (because it's late for me), take your time to find a name you love. Internet is perhaps one of the only place where we can choose our names.

And yes it's scary, all the things that we can say about us on Internet
  • Reply 35 of 57
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Haha he first thing I thought when I read this article a couple days ago I thought of CarolA.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hmm, someone should teach carol how to log onto a remote machine for posting. i know when i worked at a job that monitored what you looked at online, i just set it up to log into my machine at home using terminal services. of course, that was windows, but i'm sure there's a way to do it.

nice thing was it only showed me looking at a single web page the entire day. one of the best employees around!

my supervisor and i were pretty close, and she didn't believe me when i told her. so she and i went through a pile of restricted sites, then she pulled my records from their monitoring software. NOTHING.

good stuff.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You just *know* that suddenly Van Halen is cool in that school again...

"Got it bad, got it bad, got it bad..."
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Haha he first thing I thought when I read this article a couple days ago I thought of CarolA.

Damnation!

Definitely time for a name change!
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

hmm, someone should teach carol how to log onto a remote machine for posting. i know when i worked at a job that monitored what you looked at online, i just set it up to log into my machine at home using terminal services. of course, that was windows, but i'm sure there's a way to do it.

nice thing was it only showed me looking at a single web page the entire day. one of the best employees around!

my supervisor and i were pretty close, and she didn't believe me when i told her. so she and i went through a pile of restricted sites, then she pulled my records from their monitoring software. NOTHING.

good stuff.

I don't post from work anymore. But I used to. I'm so fatalistic and paranoid that I imagine the district has a file an inch thick of my messageboard posts and personal emails. All it would take would be *one* slightly inappropriate post......

Oh well. There are only 'so' many things a person can worry about at any given time. But I probably 'should' at least change my name. Like closing the barn door after the horse has already escaped. Sigh.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well, you can feel safe that they don't have your e-mails on file. that would be a federal offense. unless you're a federal employee, there are very strict privacy laws concerning e-mails.