Big Beach Butts!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Too cold still, not many girls on the beach.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    I've always thought that the best way to deal with litterers is to make them pick up trash along the road way as their community service. I would handle smokers a little differently. Smokers should be required to pick up 10,000 used butts from the roads (within a given time period) or face a hefty fine. It would be humiliating for those who do it. It would help if the police were more aggressive at stopping people who litter rather than caring about speeders alone.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue master

Smokers should be required to pick up 10,000 used butts from the roads (within a given time period) or face a hefty fine.

They'd just buy 50 cartons of smokes and turn them into butts instead of paying the fine....
  • Reply 24 of 26
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

They'd just buy 50 cartons of smokes and turn them into butts instead of paying the fine....

Have you checked out the price of smokes lately? Buying 50 cartons WOULD be a hefty fine.

Nick
  • Reply 25 of 26
    craiger77craiger77 Posts: 133member
    Having spent 3 months last year taking care of my mother as she died of lung cancer caused by a lifetime of smoking, I am not as tolerant of puffers as I used to be. Every time I see someone light up it brings back the memory of watching my mother taking her last breaths.

But on the other hand I don't like this kind of law in general. I really get annoyed that in Seattle drinking is banned in public parks. You're a criminal for just wanting some wine to go along with your picnic.

One thing that is missing from this discussion is the actual source of most of those butts. I am sure it is not people sitting on the beach smoking. I have worked out of Long Beach, CA parts of the year lately and have seen the huge amount of crap that comes down the LA river every time it rains. After a good rain the beaches are lined with tons of trash, much of it butts, but the worse offender is styrafoam...that stuff should really be banned!

It always amazes me that smokers who would never "litter" seem to have no problem tossing butts. I think the actual tossing of the butt has become part of the ritual of smoking...just another way to look "cool" in the smokers way of thinking.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Well, being a hardcore smoker I don't think it's fair to just completely ban smoking at the beaches...but I'd be all for a hefty fine for the dumbasses that litter the beach with their dead butts.

Smoke a cig....tear off the end....put the butt in you pack to dispose of later.

How hard is that?

The truly sad thing is that when most people (other smokers) see me do this (ie: everywhere outside) they say "What are you doing? Just toss it". Again, education is key. Not Draconian laws or MABOB (Mothers Against Butts On Beach).

Damn straight! And I thought I was the only considerate smoker in the world. It's really not that hard to pinch the cherry off and stuff it in your pocket.

Flicking a butt on the ground is littering. If they don't have the necessary resources to police the current laws (which cigarette butts are covered by) they won't have them to police a no-smoking law.