The Curse of Becoming a Mod

709709
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With this new(ish) doctrine of adhere or be banned in AO, I began to wonder...and upon that came an epiphany of sorts.



Becoming a mod is the kiss of death.



This isn't meant in any particular mod's direction, but it seems that in becoming a mod here on AI/AO, some people have lost their way...or in some cases their minds.



To wit:



Groverat was a one point a semi-normal poster. Sure, he was heated, cursed a lot and generally a good sport about handing someone their ass if it was appropriate. Now he's a one-liner. Barely even pokes his head in to AO. Sad.



Applenut...well, we all know the story of Applenut. A constant poster usually giving reasonable advice. An 'Apple' fan to the core as his name implied. He became a mod and became a complete asshole...



Anders has been with AI for time immemorial. Anders the Grey/Anders the White/simply Anders. Always on hand with a good thought or a reasonable response. When he was awarded mod-ship I wasn't so sure. Not that he couldn't handle it, just the fact that he was so well rounded and nary had a bad thing to say to anyone...I just thought he might have trouble laying down the law. Now he's a ghost. I haven't seen his mug in here in the few months.



FellowshipChurchiBook becoming a mod was the biggest suprise to me. I mean, seriously, he pretty much single handedly brought Fireside Chat to an end. In the last couple of years he's mellowed and had become quite tolerable...nary a mention of his Dogmas, and if he needed to scratch that itch he'd post a new thread with his flavor of niceties. I appreciated that. Now I feel the 'old' Fellowship starting to raise his head. Less Dogma, more Godma. I hope I'm alone in feeling this.



PowerDoc and BuonRotto have been seemingly immune to the curse thus far, though I don't see them post enough in AO (especially BuonRotto) to have a decent handle on them.





Anyways, I thought I'd just put this out there and see if anyone has similar feelings. I really love this place, and I'd be truly sad if some of you out there decided to go somewhere else to purge.



We are a community godammit. Let's have a reasonable discussion about this. FCC be damned.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Just because it's a "curse" doesn't mean that 1/2 of AI's members wouldn't want to be one. Personally I'd prefer GD and FH to AO. AO must be like being a doctor at shock trauma for the mods...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,261member
    I can start drinking more beer again and posting softcore porn, in between sarcastic beat-downs of other members if you want... you know, even the shit out a little.



  • Reply 3 of 23
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Crusader

    Just because it's a "curse" doesn't mean that 1/2 of AI's members wouldn't want to be one



    Yes. Those under 18...and I guess that would qualify as half if not more.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by murbot

    I can start drinking more beer again and posting softcore porn, in between sarcastic beat-downs of other members if you want... you know, even the shit out a little.







    And how is that different from now?



  • Reply 5 of 23
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    In this case absolute power corrupts absolutely becomes absolute power makes one into an intolerant hermit...



    with all due respect so as not to offend the admin/mod gods as they were...
  • Reply 6 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Go 'way, ya little fsckers, before I beat ya with mah cane.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by billybobsky

    In this case absolute power corrupts absolutely becomes absolute power makes one into an intolerant hermit...



    with all due respect so as not to offend the admin/mod gods as they were...




    All right, from here on down I'm asking for 'thoughtful' responses to my initial post. A few jokes and one-liners are fine...just don't pull out the 'I'm subjugated and oppressed' bullshit as billybobsky so aptly displayed.



    (ie: a 'Grown Up' conversation. Let's see if you kiddies can follow along)
  • Reply 8 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    applenut is the man. If I ran the forums, he'd still be a mod.



    AO was getting out of hand. If you don't think so, you're a neenlet.*



















    * Definition of neenlet uncertain.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by 709

    All right, from here on down I'm asking for 'thoughtful' responses to my initial post. A few jokes and one-liners are fine...just don't pull out the 'I'm subjugated and oppressed' bullshit as billybobsky so aptly displayed.



    (ie: a 'Grown Up' conversation. Let's see if you kiddies can follow along)




    Hey now...



    I don't feel particularly subjugated. I think I am one of the most level headed people in this forum...



    But I like people being able to speak their minds in whatever fashion they care to do so... If they want to be assholes, then let them be assholes; if they want to be Fellowship, then let them be Fellowship...
  • Reply 10 of 23
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by billybobsky

    Hey now...



    I don't feel particularly subjugated. I think I am one of the most level headed people in this forum...



    But I like people being able to speak their minds in whatever fashion they care to do so... If they want to be assholes, then let them be assholes; if they want to be Fellowship, then let them be Fellowship...




    Actually I agree with this for the most part.



    fellows
  • Reply 11 of 23
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    but then again, I am not a moderator...



    And I do tend to agree with Eugene that some of the threads were getting ridiculous...
  • Reply 12 of 23
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    709 is completely right in my case.



    I tried my hand at being nice and you still get proof of John Gabriel's Greater Internet ****wad Theory. Not the cussing, of course, I love cussing, but the astounding ignorance went from an amusement (pre-mod duties) to a burden.



    I do not mind people who are arrogant.

    I do not mind people who are ignorant.

    I do mind people who are both arrogant and ignorant.



    You have to be a very idiot-tolerant person to be a good moderator or admin. I am not that.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Not that I have gotten out of the "angry internet guy" business, I just travel around a bit more with my personal circus. ;-)
  • Reply 14 of 23
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I'm a bit miffed about the recent crap shower.



    I posted a thread in the suggestions forum the other day. I don't know if I care to fight this, mostly for lack of real concern since I probably won't be posting too much after June. But sometimes I like to fight things when I think the people with the microphone are abnormally irritating.



    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=39886
  • Reply 15 of 23
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Splinemodel

    I'm a bit miffed about the recent crap shower.



    I posted a thread in the suggestions forum the other day. I don't know if I care to fight this, mostly for lack of real concern since I probably won't be posting too much after June. But sometimes I like to fight things when I think the people with the microphone are abnormally irritating.



    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=39886




    Splinemodel I do understand what you are saying here and in your posts in the Suggestions forum.



    Please let me respond:



    First of all I do respect and enjoy all of you guys and girls here at AI AO. I enjoy AO and believe it is a great venue for conversation between likeminded and not so likeminded individuals. The last thing I want is for it to be shut down for any reason.



    As for one incident in particular which you took note of I will be very public and paste a posting I just recently posted in the Moderators Forum.



    Quote:

    After reflection of everything I have concluded that I went overboard with -Alliance- and I am not proud about it. I did catch him on iChat AIM and let him know I was sorry.



    I believe I am the one who derailed the thread by taking issue with what he said and I take full responsibility for the fallout.



    Fellows



    I just want to say I did not mean to over-react to -Alliance- and I ask for your understanding that I did come to realize my mistake and will do all in my power to prevent such a lapse in judgement from happening again.



    With respect for you all and my apologies,



    Fellowship
  • Reply 16 of 23
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I haven't found Fellowship proselytizing in any threads, so I don't know where you've seen him doing that...



    Otherwise, I'd agree that for outspoken members to become Mods requires that they add an extra level of self-review to anything they post. With great power and all.....



    I posted something I thought was entirely innocuous (and a part of accepted british humor) in a thread earlier and almost had my lunch handed to me by Fellowship, so the only thing that I've noticed is that the Mods must have held a council and decided to be extra tough on everyone....maybe it's to shake out some of the riff raff?



    If you want to point at a Mod who has comported themselves in a manner that is "above the fray" it would have to be Brad....he's too smart to hang out in this forum.....much.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    As a moderator in another forum, I can assure that I enjoy spending countless hours of my precious time deleting ad-hominems.



    Worst of the worst posters from my point of view, are those whose posting style is the equivilant of a broken record.



    They seem completely oblivious to the fact that their argument has lost all credibility...but just keep repeating their positions as if some how persistence alone will force others to change their minds or simple succumb from exhaustion.



    Most of all I love it when I come across two such posters battling each other..hammer and tong..



    Kind of like watching an immovable object Vs irrestistable force.



    So much fun...err Not



    Aqua
  • Reply 18 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Duuude, who gave Splinemodel the microphone?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Aquafire





    Worst of the worst posters from my point of view, are those whose posting style is the equivilant of a broken record.



    Aqua




    hey, i resemble that remark buddy....i mean resent...



    actually i like broken records, but is likely the autistic side of me



    g
  • Reply 20 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by thegelding

    hey, i resemble that remark buddy....i mean resent...



    actually i like broken records, but is likely the autistic side of me




    I did notice you were awfully good at counting toothpicks. Let's go to Vegas.
Sign In or Register to comment.