Everyday things that annoy you.....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
To start with, it's suddenly WAY too hot where I live, for March. The heat makes people less able to tolerate normal annoyances. So I'm taking this opportunity to gripe and complain, before the air-conditioner cools the house down and I revert back to my cheerful self.

After a tiring day at work, grocery shopping is a chore. And since I'm not that crazy about shopping to start with, when I DO go, I have to buy tons of stuff.

Loading groceries into the car is a pain (in this heat), but UNloading the car and taking everything into the house is even more of an ordeal. I am a small person, and some of those grocery bags weigh a ton. Then you can't sit down and relax, but have to put everything away, especially any perishable or frozen stuff.

Gripe, moan, complain.

I also hate it when I am trying to make a left turn at an intersection, and I wait and Wait and WAIT for 'one' oncoming car; and then, at the last minute, they signal and they 'themselves' turn - after I waited an eternity for them to go straight through the intersection.

Okay, these things wouldn't normally bother me all that much - I am a pretty easy-going person (you *have* to be, to teach 130 13-year-olds!!!) - but when it's HOT, annoyances are magnified and become SO much less tolerable.

Also - today is Monday; and not only that, but Monday after spring break.

It's hard getting back into the routine.

Are there any everyday, petty annoyances that bother you?

Thanks for any replies.

Carol

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    it's too cold here in vermont, and i hate it when my step mom buys the same cereal all the time-i don't even like frosted shredded wheat now!
  • Reply 2 of 92
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I hate tourists. They clog up the sidewalk, gawk at the buildings, and block the entrances to the subway while they fumble with the MetroCard.

Some advice for those people thinking of coming to NYC and not wanting to feel the wrath of this pissed off New Yorker:

Do not walk more than two people across. I have somewhere to go and you're keeping me from getting there.

Do not look up while you walk. The buildings are tall, get over it. You slow me down and paint a gigantic bulls-eye on your back to muggers.

Do not stand in front of the turnstile unless you already have your MetroCard out and ready to be swiped. You slow me down and slow down the people trying to get out.

Do not take a subway map out on the train. Again, bulls-eye on back.

Do not come to my hole in the wall bars. We don't want you there. There are some nice tourist trap places that you and your kind are welcomed.

Most importantly...

Do not stop walking in the middle of the block unless you are going into a building or getting into a cab. In those two instances move to the side of the curb with the building or cab. Never ever ever stop in the middle of a block or I will walk over you.

Ah, I feel much better now.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Waking up on a Monday morning.

Driving home on a Friday afternoon.

General humidity levels here in Houston.

Bad drivers in large vehicles.

People who overtake me only to slam on the brakes right in front of me to stop at the red light/stop sign.

Having to clean out my cat's litterbox.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    People who pull into the left turn lane, and than leave two car lengths in front of them and the next car!

People who pull up to a red light and either pull way up over the "stop" line, or leave two car lengths in between them and the "stop" line.

That's all I can think of now, but I'll think of more and post later.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    And about tools. I like tools. I always buy good ones, and I put them where I can find them.

But whenever my brother uses any of my tools, I can never find them again when I need them; so instead of wasting time looking everywhere, I just go out and buy that same tool yet *again* !!! I'm afraid to think of how many hammers I have bought over the last few years.

After months and months, I finally found the little wrench to adjust the chain saw. My brother used the chain saw 'one' time, and now the wrench is gone again, probably for good. I was SO happy when I found it the first time. That joy lasted about one day.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    I hate it when coke is flat.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    I hate it when the wind kicks dirt in your eyes.

When a driver in a large car pulls into me.

When drivers honk at pedestrians.

When people are condescending.

When people have no self confidence.

When beggars harass you outside of convenience stores.

When I get home after 10 PM.

When my reactions turn black.

When women tell me about their significant other and then go on to flirt with me.

When people think only about themselves.

When I make more work for other people.

When other people make more work for me.

When the last bit of a meal is bland...
  • Reply 8 of 92
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I have two everyday things that seriously annoy me.

First when any female teacher gets in to a rhetorical question argument with a student. There really isn't a point to it. Just tell them in short sentences what the hell they are doing wrong and get it over with.

Example: Child is playing slap and tickle beside the line instead of walking IN the line.

Teacher: Waldo, why are you out of line? How many times have we had this discussion? How do we walk in line? What are the line rules? Why can't you follow the directions?

Second major annoyance is anytime a stupid student wishes to debate the meaning of words with regard to their actions. I don't give them rhetorical questions arguments about it. I basically tell them to meet my definition of it or suffer badly.

Example: Child is flapping jaw instead of doing work.

Teacher: Waldo get to work.

Waldo: I'm not talking.

Teacher: I said show work, not be quiet. Show me problem 10 finished or I'll show you a child who has no recess.

Those two annoy me the most.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 92
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I am annoyed by annoying things.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    I hate having to re-tuck in my shirt after I use the bathroom at work. Its the smallest bathroom in the world and hard to move around. Tourist actually come to take pictures..well not really but its small.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    1. I hate it when my cigarette canoes.

2. Children. All Children.

3. People that run for the subway and force their way on like it's the last subway train EVER!

4. Men that wear golf shirts to work.

5. And finally....I'm annoyed that the company I work for may be shut down any day now.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    I 'bag' all my trash, and then put the bags in my large collection-container provided by the city.

But some of my neighbors don't seem to bother with bags, and just throw loose trash into their large container. Then, when the truck picks up the container and it opens, any stray breeze catches bits of loose trash, whisks them away on the wind and deposits my neighbors' trash into MY grass, where it lodges until I am forced to gather up all these bits of other people's refuse. This happens every trash day, and I have to pick up cigarette butts, sticky wrappers from ice cream bars, etc. Yuck!

Those stupid foam peanuts are the worst. The breeze carries them for long distances and deposits them in MY yard, for ME to pick up. Grrrrrr.

Gripe, bitch, moan, complain.

Ahhhhh.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    I absolutely hate people who can't seem to understand how to use their turn signals!!! That is one of the MOST annoying things to me. It's not that difficult, it doesn't require a lot of thinking, it doesn't even require a lot of work!

I also hate people who claim to care about "diversity" but almost always are white girls whose definition of "diversity" is dating a minority. In addition, minorities only seem to include African-Americans and Hispanics on my campus. We have a lot of people crying foul about the lack of diversity on our campus and I have never heard anyone complain about the lack of Asians, even though I have only seen 2 in my entire four years here. For some reason, I've noticed that Asians don't seem to count as minorities. That annoys me as well.

I also am annoyed by the fact that cultural sensitivity has been taken to such an extreme that someone is always offended by something. People need to calm down a bit.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

For some reason, I've noticed that Asians don't seem to count as minorities. That annoys me as well.

that's because "minority" is code for "less able".

since asian kids kick everyone's ass in school, they aren't considered a "minority" in most people's minds.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

that's because "minority" is code for "less able".

since asian kids kick everyone's ass in school, they aren't considered a "minority" in most people's minds.

Good point.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I hate tourists. They clog up the sidewalk, gawk at the buildings, and block the entrances to the subway while they fumble with the MetroCard.

Some advice for those people thinking of coming to NYC and not wanting to feel the wrath of this pissed off New Yorker:

Do not walk more than two people across. I have somewhere to go and you're keeping me from getting there.

Do not look up while you walk. The buildings are tall, get over it. You slow me down and paint a gigantic bulls-eye on your back to muggers.

Do not stand in front of the turnstile unless you already have your MetroCard out and ready to be swiped. You slow me down and slow down the people trying to get out.

Do not take a subway map out on the train. Again, bulls-eye on back.

Do not come to my hole in the wall bars. We don't want you there. There are some nice tourist trap places that you and your kind are welcomed.

Most importantly...

Do not stop walking in the middle of the block unless you are going into a building or getting into a cab. In those two instances move to the side of the curb with the building or cab. Never ever ever stop in the middle of a block or I will walk over you.

Ah, I feel much better now.

Hi HOM -

I enjoyed reading about the tourists in NYC. I can see how their annoying habits would get really old for the residents after a while.

When I have visited San Diego, and have been driving fairly slowly down the street trying to find a certain address, sometimes a car behind me will zoom around me in a fury, making me feel SO guilty for obstructing their way. eek!
  • Reply 17 of 92
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    women at 4 way stops, and microsoft.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

women at 4 way stops

best one yet
  • Reply 19 of 92
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naderfan

I absolutely hate people who can't seem to understand how to use their turn signals!!! That is one of the MOST annoying things to me. It's not that difficult, it doesn't require a lot of thinking, it doesn't even require a lot of work!

I also hate people who claim to care about "diversity" but almost always are white girls whose definition of "diversity" is dating a minority. In addition, minorities only seem to include African-Americans and Hispanics on my campus. We have a lot of people crying foul about the lack of diversity on our campus and I have never heard anyone complain about the lack of Asians, even though I have only seen 2 in my entire four years here. For some reason, I've noticed that Asians don't seem to count as minorities. That annoys me as well.

I also am annoyed by the fact that cultural sensitivity has been taken to such an extreme that someone is always offended by something. People need to calm down a bit.

amen.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    politics.