Help with touching of photo, please! (urgent)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    a little less roof pixelation than torifile's curves effort, but his tonal balance is better

but despite applying a few subtly different curves shift to a masked sky,

these overall images are a bit darker... hmmm baseline optimised must shift once the glare is gone

V1

V2

V3

CS might do better with its new light and shadow filter

I kind of like iPeon's gradient version... stormier, but maybe that's not the mood you want

hope some of these help

good luck in the competition
  • Reply 22 of 32
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Hope this helps a bit. I created a Photoshop file with a Curves adjustment layer. All you do is double-click the top layer and adjust the curves sliders. (you will see a diagonal line. Slide the right-top side down to lower the brightness of the sky to what you want) I added a simple layer mask so only the sky changes, not the other colors. Hope this helps.

http://www.ssba.com/lad/ItalianWedding.zip

EDIT: Uploading file... About 8MB
  • Reply 23 of 32
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    How's this one? This is fun.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Wow guys, don't know how to thank you all!!

They all look nice in their own way!

Lol, now I need suggestions as to which version is better.

Maybe I should submit the black and white/colour one of iPeon?

For your interest, the other picture I'm entering into the competition is:

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rg8s...20Coliseum.JPG
  • Reply 25 of 32
    The first thing that struck me with that photo was the blue tinted horse. May want to take out a little blue there.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    I have a question about photo printing:

The pictures were taken at 1600x1200. How large can I print them and still look good?

Also, if I take it to print at a place like Kinko's, will the colour on their computer and eventually printer show up like it does on my screen?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Oh NO!!! You asked the dreaded color management question!

Do you want the complicated of simple explanation? I gotta ask now, its for your own good.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Oh NO!!! You asked the dreaded color management question!

Do you want the complicated of simple explanation? I gotta ask now, its for your own good.

hehe... Well, I guess I'll go tomorrow to Kinkos and see how they come out...

I suppose they have some form of photo correction because I've printed one of my pics:

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rg8s.../IMG_0540.html

at some photo printing machine I don't remember and it came out decentI

So, as much as I'd like the complicated explanation, I don't want to take too much of your time.

Thanks a lot

BTW, I fixed the horse picture. it's still the same link, do you think taht's better?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    It wouldn't be that hard to explain, just some people get overwhelmed by all the info. Buckel up, here we go...

Workingspace: The workingspace holds all the color information for your document. The larger colorspace you have, the more accurate the converted colors are. In Photoshop there is an option "Color Settings" in one of the menus. If you open it, you get a whole lot of choices. Don't worry, you won't use all of them. You are normally editing in RGB (Red, Green, Blue) mode unless you have special situations. The first option you want to change is to change the RGB colorspace to "Adobe RGB". (I am assuming you mostly use Photoshop to print). Adobe RGB has the largest range of colors, but Apple RGB is a close second place. (That is the one I personally use.)

Color engine: You can have this set to Adobe too. It uses profiles to convert your colors so they match. What you see on the screen is what is printed on the printer.

Profiles: Profiles describe the specific characteristics of input (scanner) or output (Printer, screen) device. For example, if a monitor has a hard time displaying the color blue, the profile will note that the blue colors need to be increased to properly display the correct color. The colorspace engine (noted above) uses these profiles to modify the colors so they are displayed accurately on your screen and printed correctly. Printers not only has a profile, but one for each type of paper you use since different papers react to ink differently. The best thing to do is calibrate your monitor (if you haven't done that yet) and update your printer with the latest drivers if any.

Printing: This one is tricky. There are 3 ways to do this.

1) When you print with preview, there is an option under "output" called "Color management". You can select your printer paper for the profile. I personally keep the intent set to Relative colormetric but I have had good results with Perceptual too. click print and you will get a print dialog box. Somewhere in the options there should be an option called "No color management". Make sure you select that. You already applied a printer profile in the previous window, you don't want to do that twice! (Perfered)

2) In the print with preview window select "same as source" for the profile, and in the next window, select ColorSync for color management, and select the paper type. (fewer options)

3) Special pourpose- Some print places have downloadable professional color profiles for specific printers. I know Costco has these and I have had some of my best results printed from costco printers. No joking! After download the profile for the specific printer (make sure you write the type of printer so they print it on the same machine you made the print for) you have to install it. Drag the downloaded profile to "Your hard drive"->Library->Colorsync->profiles. The last thing you do is go to Image->Mode->Asign profile. Select your downloaded profile and click OK. Than save your image/burn to CD. The final step is very important: Make sure to tell the copy place to do NO COLOR MANAGEMENT on your photo. They will ad their generic profile to yours screw up your colors. (Best results)

Hope this helps. 8) Or else you are balled up in a fetal position on the floor and I feel for you. (I had a whole test in school on this stuff.)
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Here is what I did with the photo. There are a few more layers and I think they are prettymuch self-explanatory. I'm not saying I am right or anything like that. We all have our unique artistic tastes.

http://24.6.133.221/~web/ebbyColiseum.zip

EDIT: I'm hosting this from my G5 so my connection is slower. I ran out of room on my web server.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Put the Photoshop down and step away. You know who you are.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Here is what I did with the photo. There are a few more layers and I think they are prettymuch self-explanatory. I'm not saying I am right or anything like that. We all have our unique artistic tastes.

http://24.6.133.221/~web/ebbyColiseum.zip

EDIT: I'm hosting this from my G5 so my connection is slower. I ran out of room on my web server.

Wow, the highlight on the girl is awesome.

Thanks so much!