25 states to welfare moms-Enjoy a year off on us

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 33
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    So by your own definition the title of your thread is misleading... or just flat wrong.



    How can she "take a year off" if she doesn't have a job in the firstplace?



    Where's that campassionate conservatism?



    Should she just have an abortion so she can get back to work and get off assistance?



    Yeah welfare is a real day at the spa.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by chu_bakka

    So by your own definition the title of your thread is misleading... or just flat wrong.



    How can she "take a year off" if she doesn't have a job in the firstplace?



    Where's that campassionate conservatism?



    Should she just have an abortion so she can get back to work and get off assistance?



    Yeah welfare is a real day at the spa.




    She should be kicked off welfare and the child be taken away for having a kid while on welfare.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Yeah... poor people shouldn't be aloud to have children... they should be sterilized. Genius. Because we all know that poor people make horrible parents.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BR

    Wrong. FMLA leave allows any woman to go back to the same job.



    I meant to say 'year' not 'month' and considering the context it should have been apparent.



    Sorry. Try again.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BR

    She should be kicked off welfare and the child be taken away for having a kid while on welfare.



    Pure genius?
  • Reply 26 of 33
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,454member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by chu_bakka

    So by your own definition the title of your thread is misleading... or just flat wrong.



    How can she "take a year off" if she doesn't have a job in the firstplace?



    Where's that campassionate conservatism?



    Should she just have an abortion so she can get back to work and get off assistance?



    Yeah welfare is a real day at the spa.




    True compassion requires expecting the same of others as you would yourself.



    She can take a year off since the welfare pays for her to not work. She is freed from the requirements of schooling, looking for a job, or having a job for a year. So it is "off" in the respect that she is no longer required to do anything to receive the money.



    As for the abortion, it is her choice of course to do what she wants. The point is simply that she should not receive a greater benefit than someone who is working, especially women who are working. If my wife was currently working, and applied to the state for short term disability pay to cover her unpaid maternity leave, she would get six weeks worth of pay at a drastically less rate than she would have been paid. Probably at about the rate welfare pays. But the point is California, a very progressive state, offers 6 weeks and then says to get back to work for working women. Why should welfare recipients be treated any differently.



    We can go round and round about what is compassionate, eugenics, and all the other stuff you dredge up. But the real question is why should they get a year when every other woman gets far less. Address that if you want to change some views or opinions.



    Nick
  • Reply 27 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by trumptman

    But the real question is why should they get a year when every other woman gets far less.



    Because it costs the state far less money.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by bunge

    Because it costs the state far less money.



    At the expense of equality which costs society much much more. You of all people should know that.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BR

    At the expense of equality which costs society much much more. You of all people should know that.



    Everyone is eligible for welfare. No one is kept out unless they have enough money. Everyone is welcome to take a year off when they have a child. No one is forced to go back to work.



    This isn't an equality issue.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by bunge

    Everyone is eligible for welfare. No one is kept out unless they have enough money. Everyone is welcome to take a year off when they have a child. No one is forced to go back to work.



    This isn't an equality issue.




    Bull. People who actually work for a living aren't eligible for welfare. This is saying people who earn less get more time off. This is inherently unfair.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BR

    Bull. People who actually work for a living aren't eligible for welfare. This is saying people who earn less get more time off. This is inherently unfair.



    Of course people who work less get more time off: they're not working. And yes, everyone is eligible, just not everyone needs it. If you lose your job you're covered. That's equality.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,454member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by bunge

    Because it costs the state far less money.



    Compared the cost the state is paying for the state day care program....The state is under no obligation to provide that either. Most working mom's do not get their child care paid for by the state. You are taking one instance of overgenerosity for welfare recipients and using it to justify another instance of overgenerosity.



    Most women can't take the year off because the state isn't paying for their day care. The also can't just quit work because they would lose their homes, cars, other things that they earned/are earning.



    Nick
  • Reply 33 of 33
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,454member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by bunge

    Everyone is eligible for welfare. No one is kept out unless they have enough money. Everyone is welcome to take a year off when they have a child. No one is forced to go back to work.



    This isn't an equality issue.




    Quote:

    Originally posted by bunge

    Of course people who work less get more time off: they're not working. And yes, everyone is eligible, just not everyone needs it. If you lose your job you're covered. That's equality.



    I'm sure the family courts will be happy to give a man a year's relief from his support order.



    Also people are forced to go back to work if they don't already have their entire existance handed to them by the government. So if you have a house payment, you have to go back to work. They don't understand not getting any money for a year unlike say... public housing.



    You are right that they could make themselves as pathetic as possible to gain as much aid as possible. But all that shows is how bad the system truly is with regard to getting help.



    Nick
Sign In or Register to comment.