Just got my PowerBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Got the PowerBook800, and man is it nice! The screen is just beautiful!



It does run a bit hot, which doesn't bother me, but I'm only comparing that to my crappy Dell from work.



I'm still trying to get use to new hotkeys, and short cuts, but a two button mouse is making thinks easier
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Convert:

    <strong>Got the PowerBook800, and man is it nice! The screen is just beautiful!



    It does run a bit hot, which doesn't bother me, but I'm only comparing that to my crappy Dell from work.



    I'm still trying to get use to new hotkeys, and short cuts, but a two button mouse is making thinks easier </strong><hr></blockquote>

    Congratulations , but you are not in the right forum, anyway you are new, you should post it in the current hardware forum. Your advice about will be greatly appreciated. You will notice is that there already a thread about the new ti book 667, i will be glad that you make some comments and comparisons with what was said in this thread.

    You should go there : <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000916"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000916</a>;







    [ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: powerdoc ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Congrats.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

    <strong>Congrats.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Another classic EmAn reply!



    J :cool:



    [ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: Jamie ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamie:

    <strong>



    Another classic EmAn reply!



    J :cool:



    [ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: Jamie ]</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I couldn't think of anything else to say.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,261member
    ***NEWS FLASH***



    You don't always have to say something.



    Congratulations on the new machine, I'm sure you'll love it - my 667 feels awful fast, so that 800 must fly.



    [ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

    <strong>***NEWS FLASH***



    You don't always have to say something.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    yes he does! it wouldnt be the same if he didnt!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

    <strong>***NEWS FLASH***



    You don't always have to say something.



    Congratulations on the new machine, I'm sure you'll love it - my 667 feels awful fast, so that 800 must fly.



    [ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I know I don't have to...
  • Reply 8 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

    <strong>



    yes he does! it wouldnt be the same if he didnt!</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Exactly, Paul.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    Since EmAn isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, he has to stab repeatedly to have an affect.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

    <strong>Since EmAn isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, he has to stab repeatedly to have an affect.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Riiight <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Baa... this is old hat. I purchased a 800mhz Tibook three days after they came out directly from the Apple store in Tyson's corner VA.



    My only complaint thus far is that compared to a CRT, the whites appear a olive color. Then again, LCDs just don't have the color depth of CRTs.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic:

    <strong>Baa... this is old hat. I purchased a 800mhz Tibook three days after they came out directly from the Apple store in Tyson's corner VA.



    My only complaint thus far is that compared to a CRT, the whites appear a olive color. Then again, LCDs just don't have the color depth of CRTs.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Really? I find the white to be pretty good compared to any CRTs I've seen running OS X.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    convertconvert Posts: 27member
    OK I got one question.



    The hard drive seems to be constantly paging. It sounds like a metranome (spelling). And it never seems to sleep. Even if I close all programs and set the drive to sleep after 5 it never does. It just goes... ta-da....ta-da...ta-da...ta-da...ta-da..ta-da..ta-da.. forever, or what seems like it. Is this normal?



    Never mind . I found microsoft office trial put a startup program at login, that was giving me problems.



    Anyone seen this before?





    sorry about posting in the wrong spot....







    [ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: Convert ]



    [ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: Convert ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 23
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,147member
    Okay, here's the low down on the new DVI PowerBook's screen.



    I got the new 667 in early May, and sent one back because the screen was very biased to a blue green. I called up Apple, they concurred that it was defective, so I got a replacement. The new replacement I got seems to have a blue bias, but definitely not as strong as the other one by any means. Yet, considering white balance, and comparing it other displays, namely the Apple Studio Display, it's bluish.



    I called Apple again on Friday, and they told me to take it to an Apple Store and have it looked at. As far as they were concerned, everything was fine. So I took it to the Apple Store in Cambridge, MA.



    All the other PowerBooks in the store seemed to exibit this blue tendancy. The gentleman there said he, too, noticed the bluish bias of the sceen, but said it was normal operation, and said that the difference could be because Apple is using a different screen manufacturer for this DVI series laptop. He also said that this new PowerBook screen is probably the more color accurate than previous PowerBook displays.



    So, now that I know that mine isn't a unique problem, I'll probably keep it for a while...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

    <strong>Since EmAn isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, he has to stab repeatedly to have an affect.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Umm, don't you mean effect? An affect would be his mood, an effect is his impact on the discussion. If you're going to insult someone's intelligence, at least make sure you don't come across looking like an *** in the process.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

    <strong>look above</strong><hr></blockquote>



    #1 i dont think EmAn took it seriously... Its a running joke we have with him and the **ahem** "content" of his posts...

    #2, thanks for the info, I could never get affect and effect straight....
  • Reply 17 of 23
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

    <strong>



    Umm, don't you mean effect? An affect would be his mood, an effect is his impact on the discussion. If you're going to insult someone's intelligence, at least make sure you don't come across looking like an *** in the process. </strong><hr></blockquote>



    I meant exactly what I said. There is no error in my diction. His psychological needs are relevant.



    And the diction trap was for him, not you.



    [ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 23
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Keep the sniping out of this thread.



    And out of the forum, for that matter. It accomplishes nothing.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

    <strong>



    I meant exactly what I said. There is no error in my diction. His psychological needs are relevant.



    And the diction trap was for him, not you.



    [ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</strong><hr></blockquote>



    <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" /> It's effect.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    DP



    [ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
Sign In or Register to comment.