Apple Cellphones

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can't understand why Apple don't launch a phone (3 guesses as to what it would be called.....).

They have been on good terms with Motorola for ever, and if they really want to capitalise on the popularity of the iPods, this is the way.

I reckon 99% of iPod buyers would fall into one of the following two categories:

1) Mac Lover.

2) The sort of people who love to have the latest trendy phone.

And they'd both buy an Apple phone if there was one.

Apple recently announced that they expect their relationship with Motorola to continue a long time. Since the G4s days are looking numbered, maybe a phone is the plan. Moto would go for it, if only to take some market share from Nokia and SonyEriksson etc.

Either that, or Motorola (and Apple) are sitting on something else.........

Hope its not just those wireless chips mentioned on Powerpage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I was just passing so I'd thought I'd do my little turn.

There was one. It was called that. It was a re-worked T610 from Sony Ericsson. There's a box of them somewhere. It never happened due to the normal set of really good reasons. There may well still be a collaboration between these companies, but no phone is planned.

Moto-communications have bugger all to do with Moto-semiconductor, the very crap chip maker that's called something silly these days.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    apple on good terms with motorola?

LOL!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I think that there used to be a lot of good reasons for Apple to not make a cell phone.

However, with the Windows smart phones, Apple will soon find itself in a very bad, and behind, position in what used to be the PDA market.

iSync is great, but it's not the typical marriage of Apple OS and Apple hardware. it's just a bridge technology.

I think the time is beyond ripe for Apple to easily sell a phone to 1 out of 3 mac users everywhere.

They need to partner with the major carriers and offer some type of added services. I'd love a phone running either OS X lite or a reskinned Symbian OS that looked Mac OS X ish.

SO many phones today are crap. it's going to take Apple to show people how to do them correctly. mark my words.

MSKR
  • Reply 4 of 27
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    harald, i think you need to chime in here...
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

There was one. It was called that. It was a re-worked T610 from Sony Ericsson. There's a box of them somewhere. It never happened due to the normal set of really good reasons. There may well still be a collaboration between these companies, but no phone is planned.

Since you've been dropping small hints about this for AGES now ... tell us all you know. What did it look like? Did it run the typical SE menu interface? What colour was it? Anything!

The T630 seems like it could have been the iPhone, to me.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

I was just passing so I'd thought I'd do my little turn.

It's good to see you "just pass" and actually say something. We've been missing you, Harald.

Are you basically saying that you don't know of any current work between Apple and Sony-Ericsson? And that the box of iPhones sitting somewhere is the result of a cooperation that ended without bearing any fruit for the public?

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 27
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

...They need to partner with the major carriers and offer some type of added services...

They would need to partner with a manufacturer to make the phones to spec, all of which make their own line of phones and might want to offer a product with the same OS as the Apple phone for partnering with Apple, and they would need to negotiate with the major cell phone providers to support Apple's phones. That is a lot of negotiation to get through to market one product.

It might be better to offer a "companion" device that hooks into a phone via bluetooth for the "smart phone" features that offers a screen the same size or larger than current PDA's. You could keep your cell phone in a pocket or cliped to your belt and it could work with any bluetooth phone without the need to negotiate contracts with all the cell phone providers. I'm not saying that it is a workable solution from the consumer's point of view, it does mean carrying around 2 devices but the PDA function would be a lot more funcitonal with a larger screen.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Cell phones... off to Digital Hub we go.

I wouldn't overestimate the impact of Windows "smart phones". MS has had sharply limited success in the accessory space.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Cell phones... off to Digital Hub we go.

I wouldn't overestimate the impact of Windows "smart phones". MS has had sharply limited success in the accessory space.

Microsoft appears to have sharply limited success in products that cannot be established by directly leveraging their monopoly.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Microsoft appears to have sharply limited success in products that cannot be established by directly leveraging their monopoly.

Witness the new $149 price tag on the XBox. Remember when it was $499 in its infancy? Not that long ago. \
  • Reply 11 of 27
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Microsoft is going through a midlife crisis. They aren't really sure if they do what they have been doing, or should they try something else. The only certain thing is they have time and money on their side to figure something out.

The smartphones, xboxes, pocket pcs and the iloo are just like getting a porsche for a 50 year old man.

in case ya'll forgot about this one
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

Microsoft is going through a midlife crisis. They aren't really sure if they do what they have been doing, or should they try something else. The only certain thing is they have time and money on their side to figure something out.

The smartphones, xboxes, pocket pcs and the iloo are just like getting a porsche for a 50 year old man.

You could be right. They are also facing what appears to be a reality about all great(?) monopolies...making the leap to the next thing. Something is bound to rise while MS doesn't necessarily descend, but fades into the background.

I hope.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I'm going to ask a simple question.

What would Apple add to the mobile phone space?

2 years ago when I got my first Sony Ericsson I would have said a lot. But now I'm not too sure if they really can add anything. The mobile space is so heated right now and knowing Apple's history of not shipping for a while, I don't know if they would even make a splash.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I'm going to ask a simple question.

What would Apple add to the mobile phone space?

2 years ago when I got my first Sony Ericsson I would have said a lot. But now I'm not too sure if they really can add anything. The mobile space is so heated right now and knowing Apple's history of not shipping for a while, I don't know if they would even make a splash.

I think this is the same question Apple is asking themselves.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I hate cell phones even though I have a few. I read a really concerning article about a month ago in PopSci where scientists in Sweden I believe (brain photos included) tested cell phone's with lab rats, and the microwaves about ate their brains to sh*t.. Every time I'm on the cell phone now the memory of those brain pictures make think I'm loosing my hearing because of tumors, or something. It's some scary sh*t.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I hate cell phones even though I have a few. I read a really concerning article about a month ago in PopSci where scientists in Sweden I believe (brain photos included) tested cell phone's with lab rats, and the microwaves about ate their brains to sh*t.. Every time I'm on the cell phone now the memory of those brain pictures make think I'm loosing my hearing because of tumors, or something. It's some scary sh*t.

I think the cigarettes and booze will do me in before my T616.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Where was I?

Oh yes. Here's things I know and things I speculate about.

What I know, in addition to the above, is that SE engineers referred to the iPhone interface as "Aqua," meaning it had the same icons. It came, out the box, integrated with .Mac / iSync. It had an Ives exterior and looked one hell of a lot like an iPod. The final straw of its Steveing happened because the US launch partner -- T-Mobile -- got cold feet after the deal was signed. It was done, dusted, finished, sorted, completed.

Into speculation mode: Apple's personal-portable strategy is based around the iPod. They have what one might call a 'hit' in this space. However, if someone stuck a 4GB microdrive in (say) a P900 then ... I'd carry one of those, and so would a lot of people. Apple, not being stupid, have to be aware that there are a bunch of prototypes in China, the US and Japan that do exactly this.

So what to do? Well, it's Steve's publically-stated position that Apple won't do a phone as they don't know the space. Bearing in mind they didn't do MP3 players until 2001, I'd still be tempted to take him at his word seeing as the iPhone was badge-engineering with some ID thrown in.

But consider that the iPod has a space on its board for a Bluetooth chip (oops) and can run dialler software should it be included, and bear in mind that the dock connector is pretty smart, and that there's a market for 3rd-party add-ons via companies like Belkin ...

... and that while Apple may have crap enterprise support and constant supply problems, they are not stupid and I reeeeeeckon could get in to see the Nokias of this world should they want to. I'd predict they'd do something typically left-field and either create or cause to be created a Bluetooth GSM transciever ... you'll dial numbers on your iPod; it'll send the number from Contacts to the Bluetooth GSM transciever in your bag that will dial that number, and then send the audio back to the iPod so you go on talking without taking your little white mug-magnets out of your ears.

At least, that's what I'd do were I Apple. Something like that. Speculation folks, not one of my famous 'hypotheses.' And note, entering text would be a pain in the arse with this system which is one good reason why it might not happen. Apple only come out with products they consider perfect.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    What could Apple bring to phones? Not alot, but thats the point. All they have to do is pick one with good features and put it in a nice 'Appley' case.

People would buy it, because the sort of people who really, really masturbate over the iPods (moreso than Mac users), are mobile-phone junkies and the 'Bling-bling' crowd.

Every recording 'artist' (and I use the term loosely in certain cases) that can concievably labelled as Hip-Hop, has one. At the moment, its these guys that are dictating alot of fashions right now, especially in the UK. I'm guessing by recent US music charts, that alot of the same occurs over there....Except you don't have to put the abject dross that is 'UK Garage' (Large gangs of 14-years in ugly tracksuits, much like you might find on the average Liverpool street corner. Or any other city street corner for that matter.)

Of course, if Apple don't want to make phones, they have another option for making more from the iPod:

Cover it in diamonds, and hang it on a gold chain. 'iBling'
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Maybe they could adapt the OS X blind user spoken interface to write text messages for you......
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Waragainstsleep

Maybe they could adapt the OS X blind user spoken interface to write text messages for you......

What a fine idea. I wonder if the iPod has enough juice for voice recognition.